Quantcast

I love these threads...which bike should I buy? TR450, 951, M9, others?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dude,your so full of ****.Enough already.
No dude, it's basic welding and mechanical design. No matter how good at welding they are, it's f-ing hard. Problem is in the design. But what does hacktastic know? Just nearly a decade of Mechanical engineering, machining, and welding experience in multiple industries.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It's not Intenses fault really. It's just that trying to get a front triangle made of two half-shells welded and aligned dead on straight so the swingarm lines up in line with it is REALLY damn hard to do. Any tiny bit that the two sides of each of those front triangle pivots aren't lined up is amplified at the rear wheel. Makes for a pretty bike, but that's about it really.
Being that the type of construction is a pretty fundamental design decision, doesn't that make it ENTIRELY Intense's fault? The fact that they can't necessarily BUILD their design properly is also their fault, ultimately.

Also makes it ugly IMO.

Having not known about the QC issues with the M9, be them recent or old, I once again change my vote to TR450.

They're putting the M9s on sale for a reason I guess.

Last edited:

SCARY

Not long enough
I get it,I'm a welder by trade.I get it.

Make a negative comment and get on with it already,is was getting at.It just gets old,quick.

And no,people don't fawn over my bike.It's red and has all the stickers.That's not cool,I hear.

SCARY

Not long enough
You DO have alignment issues,you just don't know it.Its impossible not to ,cuz the whole process is very hard and there is no way to fix such an ill-thought out concept,especially when you're still welding your frames on your kitchen table.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Being that the type of construction is a pretty fundamental design decision, doesn't that make it ENTIRELY Intense's fault? The fact that they can't necessarily BUILD their design properly is also their fault, ultimately.
Well, no fault of the welders is what I was getting at. It's true that design decision is elective.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
since a big harp song dance was made of these alleged alignment issues, what's been happening back in the real world that warrants the song and dance? Seriously.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
It's not Intenses fault really. It's just that trying to get a front triangle made of two half-shells welded and aligned dead on straight so the swingarm lines up in line with it is REALLY damn hard to do. Any tiny bit that the two sides of each of those front triangle pivots aren't lined up is amplified at the rear wheel. Makes for a pretty bike, but that's about it really.
Was just wondering because I bought a bike that costs less than the frame of an M9 and it's frame was misaligned too. The manufacturer has taken care of it and the bike is on the way back to me but it still has a visual flaw. But it's funny cause obviously the high end brands aren't really any better in that respect.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Leaning more and more towards the transition. Is there a characteristic of the bike that would make you NOT choose it?

I like the idea that it is progressive, sounds a bit poppier, also should still plow over **** plenty good compared to my big hit, it looks sweet, and the more reading I have done, the more it sounds like the transition is built a bit better?

I am NOT dogging the M9, but i'll admit, it seems there are a lot MORE M9's out there, which will bring out more problems, but from the talk of alignment issues, box links, clicking and clanging in the linkage, it may be a bit too much maintenance for my likings....

I'm still almost at flip a coin status though, with a slight lean towards tr450

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Digs on the TR450: Heavy, though similar to M9. Linkage pivots are right in front of the tire where they'll take constant spray. I hate seeing designs like this with no mud guard. TR450 owners, does this cause the pivots to wear out?

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I've had mine for over two years and have ridden in all sorts of condition. I clean my bike after muddy rides and i haven't had to replace a then. Still a smooth as the day i got it.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Mine is actually an old Spesh Enduro fender that surprisingly fits almost perfectly. As Sth indicated above, it may not make a difference, but I can now point and laugh at new DHR owners armed with my RM fender smugness.

I think Manhatten Project was also working on another option (old V-10 one perhaps), but don't know how it turned out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
TR450 owners, does this cause the pivots to wear out?
Mine were pooched after a season and a half of riding. That was with using no mud guard of any sort and numerous washings of the bike with a hose. I usually washed it, wiped off some of the excess water and tossed it in the shed. It did well and the bearings themselves never actually siezed. Heck, the bike even survived a few 6 hour storms traveling from Toronto to Bromont, then being ridden in the rain and mud for 3 days straight.

I loved the bike and it took all of my falls. The frame never dented, no bolts ever came loose, the rear axle never moved etc etc. It wasn't the lightest, but it never gave me any problems.

Another good thing is Transition's warranty. Lifetime crash replacement.

And then there is there customer service. Sure, sometimes when I have sent an email it has taken a day or two, but they have always replied and been helpful. The bearing packages are also not too expensive and they ship them pretty fast. When I ordered replacements, they were at my door before I had even recieved confirmation of the order being placed.

Sadly I had to sell mine to pay tuition at college. As soon as I graduate, I'm buying another Tr450.

But on an upbeat, my bike lives on and is enjoying a second life in Whistler.....

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/264144

Thats my take anyways, I have not ridden those other bikes.:)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My TR450 was brilliantly made and very reliable. The bearings are all stock, off the shelf units so when they do die they cost very little to replace. Mine lasted over a year easy with numerous jet washings. Another plus is that the frame has one of the best lateral stiffnesses of any bike I've ridden.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
i think Cambria bike has most transitions, incl the TR450, for 25% off right now....
it didn't appear they had a tr450 in a medium when I looked earlier, regardless, I already paid. So far the dealer I am working with has been really good on communications and as a butthole customer I really like a dealer who keeps me informed and answers my questions.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
whats the diff b/w the V1 and V2.5 they mention on their site?
Old thread, but to answer this question. The V1 bikes to my knowledge did not have the adjustable wheelbase and gemoetry chips for the shock. The v2.5 bikes allow you to position rear axle in 3 spots, as well as the shock