Quantcast

I Have an Addiction

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Hello, My name is Brian (crowd: Hi Brian)

and I am addicted to Monster Energy Drink. (wait for applause)

So Today I decided to get off the MED (monster energy drink) I have drank way to much in the last two and a half years.

For the last two years I have drank a single monster a day, every day.

That is:
730 cans of monster
11,680 oz or
91.25 gallons (a childs's sized Kiddie pool)
46,720 grams of sugar or
111 pounds of sugar
146,000 calories
$2,190

I have said enough is enough. Thats too much fu*kin money! I have not gained any weight because of this I am still the same weight i was two years ago but if i were to continue with my habits I am sure i would gain weight.
As a future nutritionist i see that this can lead to several things such as Type 1+2 diabetes due to the over production of insulin, hypertension, heart attack, obesity, ulsars and many more things.

Today was my first monster free day in over 2 years.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I drink about 50 cans of Labatt Blue(switched to Labatt Ice last week) every weekend I go to Platty. Just finished my 9th season there, 7 weekends a season=295 gallons of Labatt Blue just at platty:rofl:

Monster is a for quiters, drink the beer

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
$0.16/ounce

$0.08/ounce + liquor

I don't buy energy drinks very often, so I may not be totally in the loop - but it seems like a total failure to buy Monster

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

So Today I decided to get off the MED (monster energy drink) I have drank way to much in the last two and a half years.

That is:
730 cans of monster
11,680 oz or
46,720 grams of sugar or
111 pounds of sugar
146,000 calories
$2,190

I have said enough is enough. Thats too much fu*kin money! I have not gained any weight because of this I am still the same weight i was two years ago but if i were to continue with my habits I am sure i would gain weight.
As a future nutritionist i see that this can lead to several things such as Type 1+2 diabetes due to the over production of insulin, hypertension, heart attack, obesity, ulsars and many more things.

Soooo, how does your head feel right about now???

Loochi

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009

That is:
730 cans of monster
11,680 oz or
46,720 grams of sugar or
111 pounds of sugar
146,000 calories
$2,190

As a future nutritionist you might want to know that it is highly unlikely that you will develop Type 1 diabetes from excess sugar. Not trying to nitpick on ya but as Type 1 one myself I feel it's my duty to clarify any confusion on the matter. Type 1 is usally child onset or very early adult stage.

Even type 2's who eventually might require insulin type 2 is still preferred.

Type 2:
Insufficient production of insulin in the pancreas or resistance to the action of insulin in the body's cells - especially in muscle, fat and liver cells.

Type 1:
Pancreas does not produce enough insulin (if any at all) that a "healthy" body normally requires.

Good job wth kickin that habit though!:thumb:

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah my first day was the hardest my head hurt, my chest hurt (could be unrelated) i felt slow and not shaky.

Type 1 diabetes can come about later in life for some cases. Usually if type 2 goes unnoticed type 1 develops.

Day 2 just began. Haha I need a labatt

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Just to let anyone who actually pays for monster know...almost every big university in the country has a monster energy student rep that gets paid to give away 20 cases a month. Might be in your best interest to try to find one's info if you're really paying $3 a can for that poison.

I know this because I am one.

FYI I drink coffee and beer...energy drinks are gross.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
dude...i feel you on the addiction.

i'm actually on day three of getting off 2 or more cans of rockstar per day and about 12 tylenol 1 per day. i mostly drank the rockstar because i got it for free and the tylenol 1 i got addicted to after some bike injuries.

i tell you...it's been a rough first 2 days. my head hurts so freakin bad and i hurt all over. today is better. i've been drinking tons of water and biking as much as possible so it's been tolerable. good luck on getting over it

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Also a lot of the big box stores sell it cheap. I get it for 14.99/case of 12. Only drink about 2-4 a week though. Am I an addict???

OB1

Monkey
Most definitions of "addiction" could be applied our use of oxygen, or drinking water. The difference I think is a conscious knowing that a certain habit is detremental to us, and allowing it to continue anyway. Right? Like having sex regularly is a habit. It becomes an addiction when when it leads to harming our way of life. Like, say...leading to missed appointments. Or worse....marriage.:shocked:

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Good for you. I too got off energy drinks a year ago, haven't had one since. I feel more awake while riding and can actually go to sleep at night! I do like what energy drinks do for our sport with sponsoring events and everything, but I wish people realized eating a good meal full of protein, carbs and the least amount of sat. fat you can will have you riding faster and longer than any energy drink could ever do. more in control too. but then again the monster logo does look cool...if you must drink something with flavor (and boy do i!) go for vitamin water over anything else, it has the least amount of crap and the best taste over gatorade or anything else.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
ew energy drinks.....
I see kids drinking those all the time.. don't they make your piss radioactive?

ha tea and coffee for me!

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Yeah my first day was the hardest my head hurt, my chest hurt (could be unrelated) i felt slow and not shaky.

Type 1 diabetes can come about later in life for some cases. Usually if type 2 goes unnoticed type 1 develops.

Day 2 just began. Haha I need a labatt
Type 1 diabetes is an auto immune response. the only risk factor is heredity. type 2 does not turn into type 1. type 2 can progress to the point where the person has to take insulin but it was not caused by an auto immune response like type 1. 95% of type 1 diabetes happens in childhood.

the most common cause of type 2 is obesity. the body wants to use the fat cells for energy instead of sugar so the body builds up a resistance to insulin. it also can be that someone is so big that the pancreas can't produce enough insulin. Also a lot of people with type 2 diabetes can have it go away with a change in lifestlye. diet and excercise can "cure" type 2 diabetes if the sole reason they had it was obesity.

So the real concern with lots of caffeine can be the possibility of heart complications. amping up your body that much will cause the heart to work overtime and causes lots of strain on it. if you drink multiples in one day it can sent it into PSVT which is bad.

sorry for the long response, i just graduated from paramedic school and did multiple research papers, case studies, and presentations on..... you guessed it.... Diabetes. :thumb:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Type 1 diabetes is an auto immune response. the only risk factor is heredity. type 2 does not turn into type 1. type 2 can progress to the point where the person has to take insulin but it was not caused by an auto immune response like type 1. 95% of type 1 diabetes happens in childhood.

the most common cause of type 2 is obesity. the body wants to use the fat cells for energy instead of sugar so the body builds up a resistance to insulin. it also can be that someone is so big that the pancreas can't produce enough insulin. Also a lot of people with type 2 diabetes can have it go away with a change in lifestlye. diet and excercise can "cure" type 2 diabetes if the sole reason they had it was obesity.

So the real concern with lots of caffeine can be the possibility of heart complications. amping up your body that much will cause the heart to work overtime and causes lots of strain on it. if you drink multiples in one day it can sent it into PSVT which is bad.

sorry for the long response, i just graduated from paramedic school and did multiple research papers, case studies, and presentations on..... you guessed it.... Diabetes. :thumb:
The only risk factor is heredity for type 1 diabetes....? This is wrong.

Type 1 diabetes can occur at any age, but most commonly is diagnosed from infancy to the late 30s. In this type of diabetes, a person's pancreas produces little or no insulin. Although the causes are not entirely known, scientists believe the body's own defense system (the immune system) attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Which is why people with type 1 diabetes must inject insulin several times every day.

Ninety percent of children who develop type 1 diabetes actually have no relative with the disease. Certain genes called HLA markers are associated with diabetes risk. If a child is born with such markers, his or her risk of developing type 1 diabetes is about the same as if he or she had a sibling with type 1 diabetes, even though no other family member may have the disease.

Loochi

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
Not completely true my ex had it and they couldn't find one family member that ever had it.

Her's started right after being attacked by a neighbors dog.

It's safe to say about 90% of Type 1's became diabetic because of their hereditary make-up. But just because it's in your genetic make up does not dictact whether you will get it or not, there are several more variables invloved. There are also millions of children with type 1 diabetic fathers and mothers.

There are cases of type 1's where no hereditary genes are found and they usually say (to not get too technical about it) that the immune system is attacking and destroying insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

Jeez I feel like I'm on a diabetic forum.. haha

On a good note I'm glad to see the interest and knowledge of this topic, as a Type 1 downhiller, it's good to know some people on the trail know there stuff.:thumb:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Not completely true my ex had it and they couldn't find one family member that ever had it.

Her's started right after being attacked by a neighbors dog.
I had just stated its the only known risk factor.

The only risk factor is heredity for type 1 diabetes....? This is wrong.

Type 1 diabetes can occur at any age, but most commonly is diagnosed from infancy to the late 30s. In this type of diabetes, a person's pancreas produces little or no insulin. Although the causes are not entirely known, scientists believe the body's own defense system (the immune system) attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Which is why people with type 1 diabetes must inject insulin several times every day.

Ninety percent of children who develop type 1 diabetes actually have no relative with the disease. Certain genes called HLA markers are associated with diabetes risk. If a child is born with such markers, his or her risk of developing type 1 diabetes is about the same as if he or she had a sibling with type 1 diabetes, even though no other family member may have the disease.
again i didn't say it is the cause. it is the only known risk factor. Anyone can get it. if you read my whole post you will see that you just repeated me on what type 1 diabetes is.

My point was that type 2 diabetes can't turn into type 1 diabetes just because it is left untreated.

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
ESPN talked about some football player that stopped drinking Mountain Dew and lost 11 pounds in the process....
A friend of mine used to drink about 35oz of coke a day and when he gave it up he had headaches, loss of energy, etc for a few weeks. Then the weight started to fall off of him. He lost close to 50lbs within 6 months just by doing a bit of light training and not drinking coke. I think most of these drinks are basically Sugar, water and a bit of flavour.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A friend of mine used to drink about 35oz of coke a day and when he gave it up he had headaches, loss of energy, etc for a few weeks. Then the weight started to fall off of him. He lost close to 50lbs within 6 months just by doing a bit of light training and not drinking coke. I think most of these drinks are basically Sugar, water and a bit of flavour.
That little bit of flavour is an understatement. I'd call it a bucket of crap. Everyone knows many horror stories about coke being quite acidic(left a mcdonalds cup in my flat for 3 days and when I came back the cup was no more, even though there was almost no coke inside) and other drinks having some funny qualities. I'm quite sure it ain't from sugar ;)