Quantcast

Home shops

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So I know some of you have some pretty sweet home shops from pics in the past. I am looking for some ideas to finish mine up, it is pretty much a mess right now. Let's see some pics.

Here is my current disaster.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
one thing i've always wished that i had in my shop area was a sink. although getting one in there might be more trouble than it's worth for you.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
More of a corner. Its a one bedroom apartment. Lol. Go College! When I get back home though Ill have a nice setup in the empty garage. And Ill have my roll away.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
yo, transcend if your room was mine here's what i would do, keep in mind that i dont know what the rest of the set up looks like...

get rid of the folding stand and get a wall mount clamp, this will free up floor space and let you keep the folding stand stored somewhere else for when you travel.

if the space would work, i would put a wall mount clamp centered on the back wall, with peg board on either side

next take all of your tool cases and put them on the left hand wall, possibly with a table/bench in between them....if not there, put a bench on the right hand wall where the craftsman box is now

great potential for a home shop!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Good suggestions. Wall mount won't work unfortunately. 100 year old house and some sketchy built room (not me). The studs are like 36" in between, no crossbraces and dieldstone behind. Can't really attach anything to it unfortunately. I like to be able to walk behind the bike as well anyways.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Sean your area has alot of potential for a great shop, just need to clean out the garden crap and put it in one spot versus spread out. And Transcend, I dont think there is alot I could do to your space to make it any better without alot of cash. My only suggestion would to be to get a hydralic lifting shop stool *the kind with wheels and a base to put tools on* so you can roll around and work on the bikes without killing your back, I personally have a NOS one. I would also suggest maybe some bike mounts (the screw hook kind) to the cieling and hang the bikes or wheels down near the back wall.

That said, this thread reminds me of how I was saving up to buy a shed awhile back. But then it hit me that with the cost of a shed and foundation i could buy a new drivetrain and brakes. Not to mention the fact that I'll be going to college in 2 years and then moving out when I graduate, so a shed at my rents house is pointless.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend, my main suggestion for you to switch the big standing drawers with the workbench in the back left of the pic so you've got an easy-access place to spread stuff out.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Transcend, my main suggestion for you to switch the big standing drawers with the workbench in the back left of the pic so you've got an easy-access place to spread stuff out.
Agreed.

P.S. Sean, sorry if that sounded affending...just giving a general term.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My only suggestion would to be to get a hydralic lifting shop stool *the kind with wheels and a base to put tools on* so you can roll around and work on the bikes without killing your back, I personally have a NOS one. I would also suggest maybe some bike mounts (the screw hook kind) to the cieling and hang the bikes or wheels down near the back wall.
Already have a hydraulic stool, you can see the edge of it sticking out behind the tool cabinet.

No go on the ceiling, it's 1908 concrete. I have a rack that will go in the corner, just haven't brought it in yet.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Here's an old pic of mine. Since then the blue table has been replaced by a workbench and drawers.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Nice space Norco-freerider. Did you make that shed your self? Whats it look like on the outside, and how much did it cost you?

I wouldnt mind a project for a place like that over the summer.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Nice space Norco-freerider. Did you make that shed your self? Whats it look like on the outside, and how much did it cost you?

I wouldnt mind a project for a place like that over the summer.
total cost about $2000 for materials, took about a day to dig the foundation and another day and a half to build it, shingle the roof and paint it with 2 guys. since that pic was taken the ramp was covered with PT 2x6s

came out really nice for what it is, pretty happy. just ran electricity out to it a few days ago, now i just need to get an air compressor in there and it will be 100% done.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Man that things nice, I must say. It makes me want to build my own all over again, infact I'm drawing out plans right now so I can do the calculations to see what it will cost me. Thanks for the pics too, it looks really sweet.

Whats your foundation like/made of?

I was thinking of putting gravel down and putting a pressurized perimiter with some going across every foot or two then laying down OSB notched flooring down.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Man that things nice, I must say. It makes me want to build my own all over again, infact I'm drawing out plans right now so I can do the calculations to see what it will cost me. Thanks for the pics too, it looks really sweet.

Whats your foundation like/made of?

I was thinking of putting gravel down and putting a pressurized perimiter with some going across every foot or two then laying down OSB notched flooring down.

the foundation is ground dug down so it's level, with a layer of that black anti-weed stuff you put under mulch (can't think of the name at the moment), with concrete foundation blocks at the corners and where all the major floor joists butt. the lattice is just to hide the side floor joists as well as the foundation blocks.

clearly nothing fancy. the shed at my old house had a nice 10x14 poured concrete slab for a foundation. I would have loved that here too, but it really wasn't worth the extra time and money for just a bike shed.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
clearly nothing fancy. the shed at my old house had a nice 10x14 poured concrete slab for a foundation. I would have loved that here too, but it really wasn't worth the extra time and money for just a bike shed.
agreed, thanks. So far I know plywood will cost me $100 (less then I paid to build one ramp for my jumps +table tops) so now I need to figure out what foundation i would use, roofing, siding (if any), and studs.

I have a bunch of paint left from painting my house this last summer so thats covered.

but again, thanks.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
no problem man. if you do something remotely similar to mine i think you will find it is perfect for a nice little bike shop. plenty of space for my 2 bikes, all my tools/gear/parts, but small enough so there isn't a HUGE place to keep neat and organized, which can get tough with everything sprawled everywhere.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I like the lighting in Transcend's shop. We're looking at houses right now, the biggest factor for me is either a large garage or a good sized shed with power (for lights obviously, and a compressor, powertools, etc.) I do a lot of different things from auto repairs to woodworking and it never fails that I get shut down when the sun sets when I try working on the back porch. Lighting is key for getting work done after work in the winter time or finishing up something all in one day before a ride or whatever.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is the one i constructed at my parents old place when i lived there...Worked out real well. When i finally buy a place a work spot is going to be a major selling point...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
It's much, much cleaner now. When I took these I was in the middle of putting new floors and trim inside (hence the toilet). Still not clean enough, still got excess material on the floor. Used to be able to fit my truck in here too.

I still need to put in better lighting. My current setup blows and requires me to set up halogens everywhere (which I have plenty of from working construction).

The best thing I did was drill a 1-1/4" hole with radiused edges into the top of my workbench. Everytime I need to press a headset race I just slip the steer tube in there and whap the crown with a mallet. It's awesome.

Now I'm motivated. I'm gonna build my ladder rack, hang the rest of the bikes, and put in lighting today.. or tomorrow...
I'll post new pics later.

There's actually even more bikes in there now. But with more functional space.