Quantcast

Good live shows

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
H8R said:
That was the most f*cked up tour van ever, I always worried about them in that thing.

Hell, I always worried about ME when I rode in it.

Noah is my bestest bro. (and our keyboard player).
No way! I haven't seen that dude since about '88? After that day, we used to try and catch them as often as possible. That was the first time I had seen Christ live and they were fun to hang out with.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
best live show i ve ever seen would be the white stripes in amsterdam @ the heinekein music hall about 6 months ago

awesome...

spewin that i we missed the greenhornes but we were otherwise occupied in a coffee shop in amsterdam...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
partsbara said:
best live show i ve ever seen would be the white stripes in amsterdam @ the heinekein music hall about 6 months ago

awesome...

spewin that i we missed the greenhornes but we were otherwise occupied in a coffee shop in amsterdam...
I've wanted to see them live but they haven't been convenient yet.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Someone name a band, let's see if I've seen em!
GWAR ?

I forgot to add this to my original list but I saw them in Reno last winter and it was probably the most entertaining, fun show I've ever been to.

Unearthed opened up for them and they were good.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
dfinn said:
GWAR ?

I forgot to add this to my original list but I saw them in Reno last winter and it was probably the most entertaining, fun show I've ever been to.

Unearthed opened up for them and they were good.
How about Avail?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dfinn said:
GWAR ?

Good call, I totally forgot about how bad ass they were live.

I saw a chick at that GWAR show in a green velvet dress.:wonky2:
It was hilarious when she got hit with a solid stream of goo from Oderous's "Cuttlefish of Cuthulu":rofl:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I stick mostly to local venues - but top 5 have to be (in random order):

Sound Garden, Faith No More, Viovod at the Paradise in Boston (Viovod was the headliner?!?!?)

Danzig at the Channel in Boston

Mike Ness (without Social D.) at the Met Cafe (I think) in Providence, RI

Local boys - Tree, Berzerker, Temporary Insanity (plus some other local bands) and Ugly Kid Joe in Brockton - only say that b/c a brawl erupted and 'Ugly Kid Joe' got their asses kicked...

Celia Cruz at the Orpheum in Boston. Ever seen 20 security guards try and stop a couple thousand Latin’s from dancing - F'ing hysterical!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Zark said:
Good call, I totally forgot about how bad ass they were live.

I saw a chick at that GWAR show in a green velvet dress.:wonky2:
It was hilarious when she got hit with a solid stream of goo from Oderous's "Cuttlefish of Cuthulu":rofl:
I was right up in the front row and there was this hot girl next to me. She was all about getting sprayed in the face and t!ts and she was clearing getting all horn'd up from it. Great show.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I haven't been to many shows but back in Nov. I saw Dropkick Murphys, they put on a fantastic show. Two weeks ago I saw Flogging Molly in Boston, that too was a lot of fun. Tonight I'm going to see NOFX in Worcester, I can't wait.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Slugman said:
Mike Ness (without Social D.) at the Met Cafe (I think) in Providence, RI
I have never seen Mike Ness without Social D. But I have seen Social D more than any other band. I like his solo stuff, but he's best with Social D. fo so. I have seen the 3 times in Portland alone :D

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Stevie Ray Vaughn, saw him both wasted and clean and sober. Both times, finest live show ever.
Van Halen, best arena rock ever
Circle Jerks, best big ticket Punk show
Webb Wilder, best show from a guy you have never heard of.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
jimmydean said:
I have never seen Mike Ness without Social D. But I have seen Social D more than any other band. I like his solo stuff, but he's best with Social D. fo so. I have seen the 3 times in Portland alone :D
Well he/they didn't get out to the east coast that much, and when they did - it was bigger venue. This venue was small and there were less than 100 people. Felt like a private show. I'm sure he wasn't too thrilled - but the audience was stoked.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
nirvana/loop: good
nirvana/ das damen: good
firehose/dc3: good
mudhoney/fluid: good
sonic youth/fugazi: good
meat puppets/henry rollins: good
soundgarden/sylvia juncosa: good
ride/straight jacket fits: good
charlatans uk: good
soundgarden/monster magnet/swervedriver: good
rem/wilco: good
mary my hope:good
love tractor: good
firehose/shudder to think: good
lubricated goat/the dwarves: good
ben harper: good

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
BrokenChain said:
I haven't been to many shows but back in Nov. I saw Dropkick Murphys, they put on a fantastic show. Two weeks ago I saw Flogging Molly in Boston, that too was a lot of fun. Tonight I'm going to see NOFX in Worcester, I can't wait.
Dropkicks are coming here at the end of the month. If I am still here,and Partsy is sober enough, I need to see them. Skinheads with bagpipes who love hockey. Throw a bike in, and I would never leave!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
JohnE said:
Skinheads with bagpipes who love hockey. Throw a bike in, and I would never leave!
Do they qualify as Skinheads? Seem pretty mainstream to me. They are more of what we used to refer to as Jock-core... although I do like their music and wish I could go see them.

Check out "the Bruisers" (lead singer's old band) for some good old school 'Oi' Skinhead music.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Depends on the criteria. For an all around show I would say that PRINCE was one of the best. Whether you like his music or not, the man is a showman who pulls out all the stops for his shows.

One of the best small shows I saw was the Cowboy Junkies at the Coach House. Very small venue and that girl can sing! Awsome.

Best pit I was ever in was at a Dramarama show (Weird, huh). The bill consisted of Bad Religion, Dead Milkmen and Dramarama.

Best bill... 91X-Fest in San Diego in 91 or 92... They Might Be Giants, The Cramps, Ziggy Marley, The B-52s. Great variety of artists.

Best show I can't remember - Phish. My friends tell me that I had a great time.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Best show I can't remember
Kind of a catch 22. You know you probably had a great time but you'll never know for sure.

Best show I can't remember - Ben Harper at Reggae on the River. All I remember is blue lights shining in my eyes.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
sirknight6 said:
Most impressive - Andrea Segovia; Philadelphia Academy of Music, 1983

best Theatrics - Alice Cooper (1985); Kiss (1978; Side note, Judas Priest opened and they were the Shiznitz!)
Segovia, though outspoken against Rock N Roll, was the best.

I saw The Priest on the Screaming For Venegance tour front & center on a $12.50 general admission ticket at the Cumberland County Memorial Arena on January 8, 1983. Even though I was half blasted on Bacardi 151, it was one of the most memorable shows I have ever seen. Tipton was standing about 3 feet away from me when the show opened with The Hellion/Electric Eye. The Holy Grail for a long-time JP fan who had never seen them before.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
soundgarden/sylvia juncosa: good
wow, someone's heard of sylvia juncosa! i really liked her records (aside from the SWA stuff, i recall that being pretty bad). never did see her, though.

Ride was a good (and loud) show. Lush was good too. never did see MBV.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ciaran said:
Best bill... 91X-Fest in San Diego in 91 or 92... They Might Be Giants, The Cramps, Ziggy Marley, The B-52s. Great variety of artists.
I loved X-Fest. I also had tickets to 91X 9th anniversary with Social D. Social D rocked, but freakin Los Lobos! Not only did they suck, but they played for what seemed like 3 days...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The Priest concert that stands out the most to me was "Point of Entry" tour, with Maiden on the "Killers" tour. The song that I can remember vividly was "Beyond the Realms of Death"...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
damn there are a LOT of social distortion fans out there...i've seen them three times and they belong in stevew's thread.
Personally I never thought Social D was that great.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Ciaran said:
Personally I never thought Social D was that great.
They one time I saw them they were pretty blah. The rest of the Tony Hawk boom boom huck jam was really cool though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I saw GWAR at 4808 in Charlotte in September of 1990. The lead singer got locked up for it being a typical GWAR show. The charge was some weird thing like disseminating obscenities. The best part was the arraignment judge's name was Richard Boner.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cool thread. I have seen a lot of shows and sometimes they blend into each other (I used to a lot of drugs, I mean a lot!). So here goes. I think one of the best shows I ever saw was the Ramones in a bull fighting arena in Sevilla Spain. The Chesterfield Kings opened up for them and it was truly a rock and roll moment. I drank so much wine and smoked so much hash I prolly shouldn't remember it but I do.

The second show I really remember was the Clash at the Cape Cod Coliseum. We showed up late and they were already playing but it was such a powerful band. They just blew me away.

The Ramones again. If you ever got a chance Angora Ballroom in Cleveland OH you know what I mean. Awesome venue. Honorable mention was the Melvins and Pierre Ubu there. Great place.

Black Flag at the channel in Boston. Enough said. Just amazing.

Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Orpheum in Boston (before he cleaned up...). I smoked so much Black Tar that I shouldn't remember the show, but I do.....

The Dead at JFK in philly. Not sure what year or anything. Just remember it was great. I got laid during Space.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. I saw God.

Fugazi at a club named Hell in DC. I got in a fight with a roadie after the show and Ian broke it up and made us have a beer together.

Rush at the Maple Leaf Gardens. The crowd was soooo into it. Great band.

Dash Rip Rock at the Ratskeller in Kenmore square. I saw god again.

The Pixies at the Paradise in Boston. The Throwing Muses opened up for them and it was pretty cool. I saw the Lyres, Gang Green, and Treat Her Right (with Mark Sandman) during the course of a week!

Speaking of Mark Sandman, Morpihine one of many times I saw them. Most notably at a show in Hoboken NJ.

The Smithereens at Lupos HHH in Providence RI. I jumped onstage and started singing with the band during a version of the Who's "the kid are allright". The roadies tried to get me off stage but the singer let me finish the song before they jumped on me. If you ever do this don't fight back. I got 3 stitches and learned that medical treatment means something different in RI.

Believe it or not.... Queen. They were my first concert. They basically started the ball rolling. They set the bar for me as far as live bands are concerned1979 was a great year for live music. I saw AC/DC, Black Sabbath, The Police, Ted Nugent, Van Halen, The Kinks, The Stones, Kiss, Rainbow, UFO, and Rush that year. All great live bands.

I saw so many great shows over so many years. I could prolly go on and on.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
partsbara said:
i am jealous... you lucky man..........
I'm sot so sure I'd go that far. I must say, NOFX was awesome! They opened up their set with The Decline, which I didn't expect them to play at all. Fat mike was pretty drunk, which is just fine by me. However, we had the severe misfortune of having Eric Sandin come down and pants him. He just stood there, while we received a facefull of schlong...And then ass...:eek:. The opening bands (The Loved Ones and Lawrence Arms) kind of sucked, but I have a strong feeling that the venue's acoustics didn't help them at all.