Quantcast

Good live shows

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
chicodude said:
Sound quite ill infact....
we kinda giggled and snickered when they were taking their equipment out of the box on top o this Brady bunch wagon. little did we know how awesome a show we were in for!!!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
2002 or 2003? Jurassic-5 at Lupos in Providence, RI
2004 - Damien Marley (and many others) at Reggae on the River - damn good weekend of drugs, drinking and live music
2004 - Galactic at the Filmore in SF - spent the night before in jail but still made it to the show and had a great time

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm going to have to consult the remaining flyers that survived to get exact line ups, but here are a few off the top of my head that were memorable...

Cool and the Gang, Maze - Circle Star Theatre, Redwood City CA, 1979

B52's - Greek Theatre, Berkeley CA 1981

Circle Jerks, Raw Power, Condemend to Death, lots of others - Day on the Dirt, Berkeley CA, 1983

Corrosion of Conformity - Mabuhay Gardens, SF CA, 1984

Fang, JFA, The F*ck Ups - On Broadway, SF CA 1984

Rich Kids on LSD, Dr. Know - Mabuhay Gardens, SF CA, 1985

Countless DK shows.

Corrosion of Conformity - New Method, Emeryville CA, 1985

DOA, No Means No, Le Tambor Du Bronx, (Neurosis) - Berlin, 1994

Poison Idea, The Accused - Seattle WA, 19...(91?)

Crash Worship, Amber Asylum, Sleep, (Neurosis), 16th st Theatre, SF CA - 1995

Sepultura - First Ave, Minneapolis MN - 199(4?)

Jesus Lizard, Girls Against Boys, (Neurosis) - Trocadero, Philadelphia PA, 1995

Black Sabbath, Etc - Ozzfest 1997 (I saw Black Sabbath 21 times that summer)

Hmm...add to all this a few hundred shows at Gilman street from the time they opened. (Green Day, Op Ivy, Stikky, etc). Also venues like The Farm and On Broadway in SF..

All the metal shows we toured on in the 90's...

Damn. I've seen alot of shows. Like, way too many.

Someone name a band, let's see if I've seen em!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
brungeman said:
yeah they drove up in an old 70's station wagon with a metal box thing welded to the top with all their equipment in it... they pulled out little 10 watt practice amps and rawked the place...

Jesse lived in Pburgh before moving to the Bay Area... and he was hanging out with us cause my friends older brother was one of his best friends before he left!!! good guys back then!!!
That reminds me of the gig that nearly didn't happen my freshman year of high school (1986):

A friend had put together a show at her house that was 5 blocks from the university. There were 2 local bands scheduled to play, and some others in the works. The week before the show, another friend who had gotten to know Corrosion of Conformity rather well over the summer (another cool story, but not here) got them to commit to playing in support of the local scene.

They show up and drug with them Christ on Parade who "weren't doing anything better" that weekend. Everyone piles out of an old milk van that was painted up with gear strapped to the top. It was quite the site.

So 2 songs into the first local band, the campus cops show up and say we are too loud. Turns out they have a 10 block radius, so they shut us down.

Some guy who nobody knew says his mom lives on acreage and the bands could play out there. So everyone piles into various vehicles and heads out to the middle of nowhere. Here is this ghetto 1960's single-wide trailer surrounded by cow pastures. The drum kit goes on the porch, and everyone sets up in front with dozens of orange cords running from every available outlet in the trailer.

Nobody paid since the venue moved, so a hat was passed around an Noah (of christ) made a beer run in the milk truck. They jammed for hours and we had a pit in the dust bowl under some trees.

The sound was horible, it was hot and dusty, but also one of the coolest shows that almost never happend. 80's punk bands RULE!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jimmydean said:
Nobody paid since the venue moved, so a hat was passed around an Noah (of christ) made a beer run in the milk truck. They jammed for hours and we had a pit in the dust bowl under some trees.
!
That was the most f*cked up tour van ever, I always worried about them in that thing.

Hell, I always worried about ME when I rode in it.

Noah is my bestest bro. (and our keyboard player).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Green Day - Nov 1997, Tremont Music Hall. Nimrod tour. A converted warehouse, pit of hell sort of place. Got a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday by band and crowd, then got a massive wedgie. Also a beer and water fight broke out between the band and the crowd.

Grateful Dead - Dear Creek in June of 1990. Actually 3 nights. It all sort of runs together. After last night a drive back to Lexington, KY after a little too much acid. White Castle, a security guard and a little off road excursion and a sunrise with Dark Side of the Moon.

The Police - Davidson College Oct. of 1979. Very first concert not even 13 yet. Saw them again April of 1982 Ghost in the Machine tour. (It was the next concert I went to after 1979 because I had been on restriction since the first.)

Descendents w/ Corrsion of Conformity July of 1985 in Raleigh, NC in this another pit sort of place called The Brewery.

Social Distortion (Swinging Utters opened) Valentine's Day 1997 Tremont Again. Slipped, fell and got knocked slap out. Everything up to that was awesome. However, still reminded to this day about spending Valentine's Day night in the hospital by wife.....

Th' Legendary Shackshakers and Cowboy Mouth - everytime I've seen either of them. Fred kills himself to get folks involved. It usually works. JD Wilkes is Fred without the preacher and drum set.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
H8R said:
See the above list. I think I've seen them 3-4 times all together.
Ahh, missed that. How about Vio-Lence (that's probably the extent of my long past band knowledge)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
the frogs.

btw, hardcore favorites Fat Day opened for them. i also saw them open for Melt-Banana.
I wish. Melt Banana are sweeties.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
Yes indeed it is.
Ok, I have been there then. Not too bad, as far as warehouse venues go. Not the greatest sound though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
DRB said:
Green Day - Nov 1997, Tremont Music Hall. Nimrod tour. A converted warehouse, pit of hell sort of place. Got a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday by band and crowd, then got a massive wedgie. Also a beer and water fight broke out between the band and the crowd.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I thought that U2's Joshua Tree tour show at LA Olympic Arena was awesome!

I saw Love & Rockets and Siouxsie And The Banshees at a little theater in Santa Barbara in the mid 80's and that show rocked!

Berlin, Duran Duran, and Simple Minds in san Diego circa 83 were all good.

Toad the Wet Sprocket at Pat's Grass Shack in Santa Barbara was great.

The mid 80's Stray Cats was a rockin' show too!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
Not the greatest..... its pretty freakin' awful. Most bands overcome it by simply making it louder which seems to work.

When did you go there?
Couple times, '98-'99 maybe?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Best overall show - Rush

Most Underrated show
- Ronnie James Dio

Most fun Show
- Opening for Slayer in '86

Most energy - Iron Maiden

Loudest - Judas Priest (This tour)

Most impressive - Andrea Segovia; Philadelphia Academy of Music, 1983

Most Disappointing - Yes (1986)

Biggest Pleasant surprise - CSNY; Mudvane

Best RAW performance - Iron Maiden, Killers Tour 1980; In Flames; Shadows Fall;

best Theatrics - Alice Cooper (1985); Kiss (1978; Side note, Judas Priest opened and they were the Shiznitz!)

side note:
bands we opened for that were a blast: Saxon, Overkill, Raven; Death Angel

Worst band ever on stage
- Cinderella (That's cause I knew them, actually grew up with them, and they were a bunch of poser pricks)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Hands down, the show that blew my mind the most was Phish @ South Park Meadows, summer of 1995. I've seen many acts of all different shapes and sizes before and since... none were as big and awe inspiring as that one.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Motley Crue/Whitesnake (1987) Poser convention

David Lee Roth with Steve Via and Billy Sheehan was kinda fun.

I've seen Maiden roughly 15 times...ALWAYS love them...

Yngwie Malmsteen was mixed poorly! (To much Yngwie)

Most Fun I have ever had jamming with someone - Carl Perkins, huge moment in my life!!! :thumb: :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
have you ever seen a band fall apart on stage?

the siltbreeze night @ TT's was quite an evening...1st band (which we missed) was some called Kotton Kittens or something like that...apparently they ****ed around w/ adris hoyos' drum kit (more on that later), and did not put her in a good mood.

we got in as The Shadow Ring were playing. kinda droney, dirgey weirdo english stuff. next up was the charalambides, from tx. guitar/psych stuff, they've been going for a while now. anyway, i can't exactly recall if jason bill had left by now or not, but there was definite tension in the band, at least between tom carter and wife christina. either she kept screwing up stuff, or tom just had a bad day, but the set ended prematurely w/ him setting up a blistering wave of feedback, staring straight ahead @ the crowd, and dumping a rolling rock down his head and flooding his glasses. he stood stock still for a while, then exited stage left.

finally headliners Harry Pussy took the stage; bill orcutt lashing out w/ excoriatingly noisy guitar bursts and the comely adris bashing the absolute hell out of her kit. she was pissed about the damage or theft that the Kotton Kittens did to her kit, and between the ~50 second noise blasts they used as songs, would commence to talk a blue streak about the whole deal and spit some big loogies out into the crowd. i think she charged out from behind the kit once when she thought she saw a perpetrator, but no blows were landed on this false alarm.

btw, harry pussy teamed up w/ Cock ESP to make the best inside joked-termed EP ever, "Wreck Small Cocks on Expensive Pussies". too bad there are only 29 other copies floating out there in the world.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
That was July 10, 1999. Its our wedding anniversary but my wife had to be out of town for business, SO I ended up at that show.

I threw a beer bottle at you....

okay I didn't but it would have been cool if I had.
Our roadie would have caught it before it ever hit anyone.