Quantcast

Goldnugget from Dirt: DH back in 1992. Hilarious.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
that just looks impossible...they must have been running 80a rubber or something. looks like they had ZERO control over their front ends haha

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
they all looked like they were riding 29ers!!! some gnarly-ass tough guys too' gettint right up after some of those spills...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
So much win. Scott one-piece carbon bar/ends snapping, wheels folding like paper, neon pads galore.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
They only wish they could have slowed down. Tires were bad, but brakes were also sh!tty on those days! :p

Thanks for the link! :)

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
It is hilarious watching that one open section. Everyone is just goin, goin, then BOOM they magically detonate for no apparent reason. I guess the problem is just that the bikes just weren't designed for that at all. Those dudes were probably pretty good riders, too.

I'd love to see a DH race down that same section with today's equipment, just for comparison.

ecsnsmb

Chimp
Jun 10, 2008
NJ
Haha that guy in the yellow who breaks into a run after front flipping down the stairs.. Have to give them credit though, hauling balls down those fire roads even though they had full knowledge that they were going to be face down at the bottom. Gotta start somewhere.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Anyone find Beneke in that clip yet? I replayed a few times. Guessing that it's Germany, but it could be Austria, etc.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
None of these seemed like pros. Beneke is world class.
Agreed that there are a lot of amateurs there, but in 1992 even the pros often looked a bit silly, particularly on universally sketchy sections like the stuff shown here. But, probably no Beneke in that clip.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Agreed that there are a lot of amateurs there, but in 1992 even the pros often looked a bit silly, particularly on universally sketchy sections like the stuff shown here. But, probably no Beneke in that clip.
Funny, but the section doesn't seem that sketchy to me. It's rough, fast and has a water bar (that nobody seems to know how to take).

In Level Vibes (hans rey) does something similar at full clip.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Great vid there! Hans Rey legend!

Couple guys in that vid just eat it really solid. One in particular, towards the end, eats metal fence sideways coming in hot. Crazy.