Quantcast

FQ Mini Link Refurb (Pic Plethora)

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
My beloved Mini Link showed some weakness after a long day at Whiteface about a month ago. I picked a really lucky time to wash and inspect it, and almost cried when I saw this.

I contacted Doc, and he assured me he could fix it. (Cue angelic salvation music)

After disassembling it, I noticed I'd cracked the swingarm too. (I just ride hard, I swear I'm not that fat)

Again, Doc assuaged my fears and I sent the frame off to Mormania.

About a week later I see this in my email and I knew all was well.

Fast forward a couple of weeks for shipping and powdercoat and I will be taking her back out this weekend. I took a bunch of moneyshots, because she'll never again be this clean.

This pic of the crusty old levers is dedicated to Sandrew, because I know it makes his skin crawl.

Big (really big) thanks to Doc and Terry at Superco for helping me resurrect the frame, swingarm, and kickass bars. Thanks for the chain tug too, she feels complete now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Those are the most ginormous grips I've ever seen. That must be a wild ride on that belt drive - is is wicked quiet bombing down the hill on that thing?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Woody, I still hate you for having that bike.

I was thinking about coming up to Highland sometime in September. But it might get pushed to early October because Liz and I will be moving into a new place sometime next month. You still down to ride?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This pic of the crusty old levers is dedicated to Sandrew, because I know it makes his skin crawl.
:panic::disgust1::fie:

From what I saw, doccers welded up a new gusset top and bottom, plus a BMX style uber cup on the bottom of the headtube. I could be wrong, maybe it's new, but I think he just tacked on a bigger ring/reinforcement. He also welded a gusset on the swingarm and a bead down the top and bottom for reinforcement...so cool!

w00drow, the bike looks great. Shame it'll never be clean again. Don't know what you're doing with those grips, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. What's with the monocorp pedal? I have some white plastic spraypaint if you want to give your fender a once over, to match the fork.

Also, I can attest that the bike is quiet as hell as you go down the hill. The only thing that makes noise is the levers and cable rattling against the frame...that's probably solved now though. It's freaky to ride with him, you don't know where he is at all. Usually you can listen to the clanging of somebody's chain to gauge their location...not so with this. The stealth hub is just icing on the cake.

Highland saturday?

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Those are the most ginormous grips I've ever seen. That must be a wild ride on that belt drive - is is wicked quiet bombing down the hill on that thing?
Suelo Tubo grips. They come as one big tube that you cut down to size. I still had a couple of inches leftover. And yeah, the only things that make noise are the tires and the brakes when I'm on them.

yeah killer setup.
the raw steel look actually looks pretty damn nice and those welds are purrtty

did he add another gusset to the heatube junction?
Good eye, he welded the existing tube and gusset, then capped them with another gusset to spread the load. He added a bit of length/girth to the head tube itself to make more room for the welds.

Woody, I still hate you for having that bike.

I was thinking about coming up to Highland sometime in September. But it might get pushed to early October because Liz and I will be moving into a new place sometime next month. You still down to ride?
Don't hate, and PM me when you do. I'm always down for a ride. September will be pretty full with interbike anyway.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Doc and Terry are the best. That is one of the great things about a steel frame. It can be fixed with out going to heat treatment.
Glad you bike is fixed

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
:panic::disgust1::fie:
What's with the monocorp pedal? I have some white plastic spraypaint if you want to give your fender a once over, to match the fork.

Highland saturday?
I made a Rev 2 proto last night. just the right side though. That's the one that takes all the abuse anyways.

I didn't even think to spray the fender. I'll do that tonight if I'm feeling saucy.

Highland is a go. My brother is down too. Call me later so I know when and where to meet you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I made a Rev 2 proto last night. just the right side though. That's the one that takes all the abuse anyways.

I didn't even think to spray the fender. I'll do that tonight if I'm feeling saucy.

Highland is a go. My brother is down too. Call me later so I know when and where to meet you.
unless I'm riding it in the park, then it's the left side.

FYI, i have krypton fusion paint, which is supposed to bond to plastic better than regular flavor spray paint. You're welcome to it, i have limited use right now. just a thought.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sammers, I think you're referring to KRYLON Fusion Paint. And it's name is kinda of a misnomer, my understanding is that it chemically bonds to/alters the surface of the plastic where as paint would just make a new layer on the plastic.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sammers, I think you're referring to KRYLON Fusion Paint. And it's name is kinda of a misnomer, my understanding is that it chemically bonds to/alters the surface of the plastic where as paint would just make a new layer on the plastic.
yeah they changed the name. it used to be krypton. Superman threw a fit.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
My kinda bike! Love the belt drive. Do you like it best with a 26 up front?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Woody, you might just be the coolest person on this site.
No....what fun is having a stout, hyper-reliable bike, riding only for fun, not talking about shims, and trying new things worth?

I'm going back to seeing how low and wide my bars can go, fixing up my 2011 boxxerz that broke before I bought them, restacking the shimz in my Double Barrel, and lining up the logos on my e13 gear...

damn I wish I weren't actually guilty of some of those.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
My kinda bike! Love the belt drive. Do you like it best with a 26 up front?
Yeah, it's a little slacked out, but when it gets rocky you don't want to have a 24" up front. They hang up too easily. I hardly notice it on the rear except when I pull into a manual, then it just pops.

w00dy

What is that black thing on your top tube?
It's a nut pad, dude. It's for my boys. Makes things easy on the knees too.

Woody, you might just be the coolest person on this site.
Flattered, truly. There are more than a couple people on here I look up to.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Great story!

What does your bike weigh? (or the frame w/ shock)
Last time I measured, it was about 42. I'm sure I could shed a few pounds pretty easily if I bothered to go tubeless, ti crank spindle, and ditch the blocky stem to name a few. It's not a big concern though. It rides great as is and I never have to touch it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Last time I measured, it was about 42. I'm sure I could shed a few pounds pretty easily if I bothered to go tubeless, ti crank spindle, and ditch the blocky stem to name a few. It's not a big concern though. It rides great as is and I never have to touch it.
This is something that's priceless. Having a bike that you can just hop on a go, and not have to worry about what's going to brake this run...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I saw you at Highland yesterday, how effin' wide are those grips? They looked like dildos stuck on each end of your bar.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Rad bike, rad grips, why the hell wouldn't you have grips to the leaver? Might ad a fraction of weight, but to be able to grab easier anywhere or even move hands would be worth it in my eyes.:thumb:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Cool ride. Maybe Superco will update that like they did the RaceLink. Start with a 26" rear wheel and build a modern mini-DH from there.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Your bike looks awesome w00dy. I dig the color combo.

I love the mini, so much fun to ride. And it's another one of those sentimental gems to me, complete with it's own intriguing and bitter-sweet history.

Will Superco come out with a bad-ass short-travel to blow the once-cutting-edge mini off the trail? It's an understatement to say it was a very difficult decision to go for the long-travel Silencer before diving into work on the short-travel bike Doc has in store. I'm hoping we'll see the proto next summer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm hoping I can boingboing on the silencer sometime this summer. When are you coming out to refresh your east coast shale sliding skillz?