Quantcast

F-150 w/ Ecoboost Motor?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I wrote off my 08 Tundra last week and need a new truck; took out 18 meters of guard rail on a bridge and had to climb out the sunroof. I test drove an F-150 Lariat and it was really nice, lots of power but still quiet and smooth. Any of you guys drive an F-150 with the Ecoboost motor? How's the reliability and fuel mileage? Anybody tow with one?

Most of my driving is highway but I use my truck for work occasionally and towing 26' trailer (7000lbs loaded) which makes this engine seem like a good choice.

Thanks.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The Ecoboost is a nice engine and ford really did their homework with it. I am still a bit skeptical on the longevity of the engine if it is towing/working hard full time but I guess only time will tell.

The new 5.0 is also really nice, a little quicker off the line but not faster in the long run, you also get more towing capacity with the ecoboost.

Edit: I have heard from people who get a lot less than the projected fuel economy and from people who get what the EPA said they will. I think the guys that get less than anticipated drive like asshats and are always trying to get full boost out of the turbo.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
If I can get better mileage for 85% of my driving I'm happy. The Tundra had tons of power for towing but still didn't get the best mileage unloaded, if I get close to what the EPA says I'll be happy

The only thing I think I'll really miss on the Tundra is the huge cab.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
i have an F150 XL extracab with ecoboost, has 1600 miles on it and i'm averaging 19.4 MPG with a mix of city/hwy driving. Strictly hwy driving, i recently got close to 22mpg on a road trip averaging 75mph. Motor has plenty of power once you're off the line, 40-80 is crazy fast, i don't do any towing though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Stock truck hand calculated?

My 350 gets 15 city, highway depends on speed and load but can vary from 15-22mpg
My brothers 7.3 is hitting 24-31 range with a simple programming.

What is nice about the eco-boost, is it is in a smaller truck. I wish there was a decent half ton truck with a good diesel motor in it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My brothers 7.3 is hitting 24-31 range with a simple programming.

What is nice about the eco-boost, is it is in a smaller truck. I wish there was a decent half ton truck with a good diesel motor in it.
LOL 24-31 with simple programming. My truck also runs 10 second quarter miles with simple programming.

I can count at LEAST 15 of my friends who have crew cab 7.3 powerstrokes, not a one is bone stock, most are running a tony wildman or dp tuners tune, and NO BODY is claiming over 25 mpg at 55-65 mph.

I agree with the your statement about the half ton with a diesel, I think THAT is a situation where you could build something capable of 30 mpg highway STOCK with a WARRANTY.

You can't compare my 213k mile f350 that is modified and gets the same mileage as an eco boost which is stock and comes with a warranty. Not to mention everything else about a new eco boost that is SO much nicer (Seats, interior, NVH, wind noise, handling, etc).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Five stage programming, ranging from max power, to max econ. Stock being the middle setting.

Don't try to tow something in the max econ mode, your not going anywhere.

FWIW... max power gets about 5-7 MPG

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Nobody has asked how this happened. :think:
Fell asleep with the cruise set. After the guard rail I slid about 20 meters on the drivers side of the truck. When it stopped I hung there in the seat belt for a minute to make sure everything moved ok; I realized I was sitting in the middle of the highway on my side facing the wrong way with no headlights. This is when the panic started, I knew a semi would be coming around the corner sooner or later. I unbuckled and hit the sunroof button and it opened; I climbed out and hopped over the cement barrier as a semi came around the corner and barely missed the truck. Luckily I was the only one in the truck.

I can say that Toyota builds a tough and very safe truck. I walked away with only a friction burn on my right wrist from the airbag.

I think I'm going to give the Ecoboost a try. It seems like the best motor for what I do.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Stock truck hand calculated?

My 350 gets 15 city, highway depends on speed and load but can vary from 15-22mpg
Hand calculated over a full tank. I've been doing it since I bought the truck new in 2000.

By the way my truck is BONE stock. I figured I'd let the engineers at Navistar sort the engine out for me.

Funny all I have done to the engine in 12 years is 2 water pumps, a starter solenoid, two new fuel o-rings, and some rubber hose around the injector harness at the valve cover.

Last edited:

v-10dh

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
I have a 2012 super crew with ecoboost and it is a great truck. Fuel mileage is decent, but it's still a 6,000 lb truck with a lot of power. Coming off of a 2008 Tundra, the ford's interior is a bit quieter and I am getting about 2 mpg better. FWIW, I have 6,000 miles on it

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hand calculated over a full tank. I've been doing it since I bought the truck new in 2000.

By the way my truck is BONE stock. I figured I'd let the engineers at Navistar sort the engine out for me.

Funny all I have done to the engine in 12 years is 2 water pumps, a starter solenoid, two new fuel o-rings, and some rubber hose around the injector harness at the valve cover.
Thats pretty good. I can get up into the low 20's but not on a mixed tank. My engine is stock but previous owner put an exhaust and intake on it. Mixed tank I am closer to the 16-18 mpg range, which I guess isn't all that far off from your 19.4.

In the 30,000 miles I have owned my truck I've done batteries, brakes, and a driveshaft, they are beast trucks for sure. 213k on mine, and I don't foresee any issues coming down the pipe.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Fell asleep with the cruise set. .
I fell aspleep behind the wheel 14 yrs ago. One reason I never use cruise control. It's just too scary.
I had the same reaction when I wokeup. Did a quick systems check and tried to lift myself up, only then did I realize how F'ed my leg was. Amazing that nothing hurt.

Oh, and I was in a Toyota too, but it was an '81 Tercel. Not the best choice.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I fell aspleep behind the wheel 14 yrs ago. One reason I never use cruise control. It's just too scary.
I had the same reaction when I wokeup. Did a quick systems check and tried to lift myself up, only then did I realize how F'ed my leg was. Amazing that nothing hurt.

Hatchback or the other one? I had an '80 and then an '81. First one rusted all to $hit... second one eventually wouldn't pass emission test. I don't think either of mine even *had* a cruise control.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm dying for a full size. My credit union has a repo on the lot, Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 that just popped up. No idea if it's diesel or gas, but would love to have the diesel, but who do you trust to find out legit fuel mileage? I live in the NC mountains and EPA estimates are horse crap b/c we go up and down all day, not much traffic sitting or long drives on the highway.

What's the math on a diesel that gets 19 miles per gallon for fuel cost. It's 3.99 gallon here versus unleaded gas at 3.69. 15k miles being the amount of driving?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I came close. I was at plattekill and started having a massive allergy attack. I swung by the local gas station and grabbed an allergy pill, which had an ingredient I had never heard of. Turns out it was worse than diphenhydramine (benadryl). I made it to the highway before my eyes got seriously droopy.

Fortunately, my car is the like the ultimate drunk driving car, and all the bells and whistles actually saved my ass until I could pull over to drink a dozen redbulls. Lane departure, radar cruise, those things are annoying but infinitely useful when you need them.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Towing with my Tundra in the mountains here I was getting 6-8MPG with my trailer on. I could get it to the 9-10MPG range if I held up traffic but I hated doing that.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Do you need to let the motor run to cool the turbos down with the Ecoboost?
Well now that is a loaded question for it is not tempurature you are worried about, its the speed of the turbo's that is the problem. The speed of the turbo when you stop means everything, as in if you just came off the highway hauling ass, the turbos will probabkly still be spinning for three, four, five minutes after you shutdown, there is the real problem, once you shut down you have no oil going to what is a still spinning turbo.

Answer directly from ford..." If the vehicle is in fact going to be used for towing or long distance driving, it is highly recemended to have a turbo timer installed to ensure the turbo's have spooled down enough before shutdown".....

So in a direct answer to your question....... Yes.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I used to have an '06 Tundra that I double flipped at freeway speeds and it landed on the roof. Walked away without a scratch or a bruise, as did the person in the passengers seat. Just some whiplash. Absolutely saved our lives, and I'm convinced that I wouldn't be alive if I were in a lesser vehicle.

I now have an '07 Tundra Double Cab with the 5.7L and the tow package (4.30:1 rear end, tranny cooler, hitch/electrical, mirrors, etc). Really awesome truck, except for the ride quality of the back end. They made the frame flexier, and they made the frame lighter, and put the rear axle assembly of a 3/4 ton on the back end. That axle moving up and down with a lighter frame that flexes makes for some nasty oscillation.

Anyway, about a year ago I test drove a couple of the TT V6 F150's. If you get super tall gearing with NO usable tow capacity, they get some impressive MPG. If you set it up as a comparable truck with comparable capacities, it gets worse MPG than the Tundra ever will. And truth be told, it doesn't really tow well at all based off what I've seen on friends trucks. It just can't match the off-idle torque of a motor with larger cylinders working in 8 places along a crank. My Tundra tows moving trailers, toyhaulers, horse trailers, etc in mountain terrain without even flinching. My last concern while towing is MPG rather than stability, safety, and thermal management, all of which it does great at.

Your Tundra is about as nice of a truck as you can get if you consider the overall package. The new Dodge 1500's look good on paper though.

If it saved your hide once, stick with it. If you get a certified used one, you get a warranty with it that no other manufacturer will offer too (last I checked).

One thing I would really enjoy from the F150 is their bed extender though. I've been meaning to look around for a take-off one from a wrecked truck or something to try to adapt into my Tundra bed.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Ford Transit (brand new full-size replacement for E-series) will arrive with an eco-boost drivetrain option soon...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The Ford Transit (brand new full-size replacement for E-series) will arrive with an eco-boost drivetrain option soon...
They also say it will have a diesel option which would be great unless its the Powerstroke. I'd rather see an option closer to the Sprinter sized diesel.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I used to have an '06 Tundra that I double flipped at freeway speeds and it landed on the roof. Walked away without a scratch or a bruise, as did the person in the passengers seat. Just some whiplash. Absolutely saved our lives, and I'm convinced that I wouldn't be alive if I were in a lesser vehicle.

I now have an '07 Tundra Double Cab with the 5.7L and the tow package (4.30:1 rear end, tranny cooler, hitch/electrical, mirrors, etc). Really awesome truck, except for the ride quality of the back end. They made the frame flexier, and they made the frame lighter, and put the rear axle assembly of a 3/4 ton on the back end. That axle moving up and down with a lighter frame that flexes makes for some nasty oscillation.

Anyway, about a year ago I test drove a couple of the TT V6 F150's. If you get super tall gearing with NO usable tow capacity, they get some impressive MPG. If you set it up as a comparable truck with comparable capacities, it gets worse MPG than the Tundra ever will. And truth be told, it doesn't really tow well at all based off what I've seen on friends trucks. It just can't match the off-idle torque of a motor with larger cylinders working in 8 places along a crank. My Tundra tows moving trailers, toyhaulers, horse trailers, etc in mountain terrain without even flinching. My last concern while towing is MPG rather than stability, safety, and thermal management, all of which it does great at.

Your Tundra is about as nice of a truck as you can get if you consider the overall package. The new Dodge 1500's look good on paper though.

If it saved your hide once, stick with it. If you get a certified used one, you get a warranty with it that no other manufacturer will offer too (last I checked).

One thing I would really enjoy from the F150 is their bed extender though. I've been meaning to look around for a take-off one from a wrecked truck or something to try to adapt into my Tundra bed.
The Tundra definitely towed well and saved my ass. I did blow a transmission at 90,000kms tho; I don't believe the 96,000kms service interval if you're towing.

I've talked to a few guys here that tow with the Ford and say it tows awesome, like a diesel without the rattle can noise. I'm really only concerned about the fuel mileage when I'm not towing, which is about 85% of my driving and all highway. Even that's not a huge concern because work helps with fuel.

I should probably go drive a new Tundra too see if they're any different that my 08. The one ****ty thing about them is getting parts here is a PITA. Every rig pig and farmer drives a domestic and usually a diesel. The Toyota dealers suck around here for service and parts.

I drove a Ram and it was nice too. The sales guy kinda turned me off of it by trying to up sell me on every option. I have two kids in car seats still I don't need rear heated seats.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
If I'm paying +$50k for a truck I expect it not to sound like a farm implement when its running.

It get to -40*C here in winter. Unless I get a job where I can run purple fuel for free and someone pays my maintenance I won't get a diesel, its just not worth it.