Quantcast

F-150 w/ Ecoboost Motor?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If I'm paying +$50k for a truck I expect it not to sound like a farm implement when its running.

It get to -40*C here in winter. Unless I get a job where I can run purple fuel for free and someone pays my maintenance I won't get a diesel, its just not worth it.

The second is more a real reason. The first is just vanity.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Do you know if Ford makes one? I'd get that installed at the dealer before I even pick it up.
As far as ford manf... I do not think so, I do know the dealer will install though

Is that really a problem? I am surprised anyone but a woman would not choose the superior diesel for towing because of the noise.

Yeah i agree on this....... Drive a new deisel and then talk about the noise it makes, newer deisels are actually pretty quiet
If I'm paying +$50k for a truck I expect it not to sound like a farm implement when its running.

It get to -40*C here in winter. Unless I get a job where I can run purple fuel for free and someone pays my maintenance I won't get a diesel, its just not worth it.
Cold temp would be the only true concern

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Drove a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie last night to move my trailer and I've driven a couple Duramax's lately. They're quieter than older diesels but still a lot louder than a gas truck. The Ecoboost I drove was exceptionally quiet compared to my Tundra.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My buddy has a decked out F-150 with ecoboost and while i really like it the fuel economy towing is pretty bad.
No truck is gonna get great mileage towing a significant load.

with my boat in tow my silverado 5.3's usually got 11-14ish, my diesel got 14ish, 10 towing a gooseneck with 2 jeeps, etc. silverado towing a boat I was 7-10ish, diesel with one jeep was 13ish

towing mileage is always pretty rough

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Thats a 6.0 gas with 4.10 rear end. 10city/14hwy (with tender foot).
Bomb proof drivetrain that will bleed your wallet dry with fuel costs.
My stock 06 D-max crew with 33" tires gets 14-15 heavy stop and go, 18-19 @ 75 and 20-21 @ 65.
That's hand-calculated every tank over 5 yrs/ 20-22k mi/per year.
duramax typically gets pretty good mileage. Those are good honest numbers.

My brother has 3 6.0 HD's and gets 11 in all 3.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Got my new truck two weeks ago, it has lots of juice and drives really nice. Needs some tint and fender flares and I'll be happy with it. Mileage is better than my Tundra already. We'll see how it tows next weekend when I take the kids camping.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Kids hate wearing sunglasses. Everytime I look back they're squinting in the back seat. Plus the white paint looks good with tinted windows. (I'll justify it for the kids tho)

I'm honestly surprised at how nice the Ford drives. I drove one back in 2009 when I was looking at the Tundra and I did not like it at all.

This weekend will be its first road trip when I go to Fernie to race the Diggler. I'll get to see how it wheels a little bit since the shuttle road is a little gnarly.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's a great looking truck.
If/when I retire my truck (at least 5 years/100k away) i'm going to give the eco-boosts a hard look.
I've liked everything about the recent F150's with the exception of the engines.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Are those Duratracs? How do you like them?

We tinted the Sportwagen and are really happy that we did. It keeps everything much cooler in the summer here. We went to the Colorado legal limit - >27% light transmission. My wife was just saying recently that if we were to do it again, she would want one step darker.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Are those Duratracs? How do you like them?

We tinted the Sportwagen and are really happy that we did. It keeps everything much cooler in the summer here. We went to the Colorado legal limit - >27% light transmission. My wife was just saying recently that if we were to do it again, she would want one step darker.
They look like Duratracs.
I've had a set on my truck for about 30k and they've been great.
Zero vibration, even wear, didn't need much weight to balance, US made and track great on the highway.
A little loud (relatively speaking) around 30-40mph, but engine/wind noise drowns out their hum for the most part.
Amazing in deep snow and solid in the off-road I see (nasty old logging roads to hunting camp, beaches and construction sites; no 'real' off road)
I'll buy again if I stick with aggro tires.

Big fan of the tint here, too.
It's key on wagons especially.
Props to Narlus for showing me the light :monkey:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
They're duratracs. 305's on 20' rims. these are my first set of duratracs, I've always run BFG AT's and liked them. The road noise is about the same no noticeable vibration. I got them because they're rated for the snow and we get at least 5 months of snow here.

This truck is whisper quiet compared to the tundra even when your foots into it, I did have dual exhaust on the Tundra tho. With the windows down you can barely hear the turbo on the ecoboost and in the mornings I have to look out the to see if my starter worked. I was able to hear the Tundra start even if I was at the back of the house.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
They're duratracs. 305's on 20' rims. these are my first set of duratracs, I've always run BFG AT's and liked them. The road noise is about the same no noticeable vibration. I got them because they're rated for the snow and we get at least 5 months of snow here.

This truck is whisper quiet compared to the tundra even when your foots into it, I did have dual exhaust on the Tundra tho. With the windows down you can barely hear the turbo on the ecoboost and in the mornings I have to look out the to see if my starter worked. I was able to hear the Tundra start even if I was at the back of the house.
Duratracs are an absolutely awesome tire, your going to think you have four personal snow plows when you drive in the snow.... the snow will fly off them like you have not seen before. Keep them rotated though, and they will last. That is one of my top selling tires here at teh bottom of the hill for those up the hill<big bear, running springs, crestline, forrest falls angelous oaks etc>.....