Quantcast

End well, this will not

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Odd place for a downtube to break; maybe precipitated by shuttle damage?

On comes the battling eSpeculation and concordant haterade.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
gnarly case? ran over by a truck? caught in the lift? Ridden by andre the giant?

Back story is a must with pics like these.

Fork doesn't look too straight either.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Looking at the dirt, you probably ate a huge pile of sh1t if that broke on you like that.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This was in the turner thread. Supposedly happened over a very small feature while JRA.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
weird place to break for sure. bad welding near the seat post and probably a lot of bashing on the down tube? So whats the word from DT, anyone?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Looks like the fork lowers are twisted as well. Just riding along...:monkeydance:
Your fork lowers would twist after your frame snapped in half :D

I bet it was rider abuse but still, the downtube diameter of the DHR does look very small to me. I know Dave likes his round section tubing but I think he should've hydroformed that one tube.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I don't know. I think this represents an obvious inferior design flaw...equal to the Porsche G3...reports were that Ryan Dunn was just "driving along" and look what happened to that car...I'm not buying one of those either.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
ive seen every new high end frame in snapped condition in some form or another.

except, M9s and Summums, but im sure there are some out there too.

posting this up, i guess just shows how its a total surprise someone managed to bust the DHR up like that ;) - personally i think every frame can be broken, given the right or in this case..wrong riding happens- add in factors like previous damage done to it.

and the off chance maybe one part of the frame was weakened already?

I would get a DHR-DW still after this, i might get worried if there was 10+ wrecked frames in a week but otherwise, its all good.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
ive seen every new high end frame in snapped condition in some form or another.
know of any v10c failures yet?

i'm of the thought that aluminum is the wrong material for lightweight dh frame applications - at the price top end dh frames are selling for, one should expect multi season reliability & robustness capable of withstanding the occasional fvck up. (comment not necessarily directed to the dhr specifically).

otoh... obviously the dw dhr needs moar toobz. my favorite dhr (asethetically). burly:

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
otoh... obviously the dw dhr needs moar toobz. my favorite dhr (asethetically). burly:

Yep.

Mine's seen 8+ years and still goin' strong...

Sucks to hear about this, but I'm sure Turner will step up and make it right. Still hard to believe it was a JRA sorta thing, but hey stranger things have happened....

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
i'm of the thought that aluminum is the wrong material for lightweight dh frame applications - at the price top end dh frames are selling for, one should expect multi season reliability & robustness capable of withstanding the occasional fvck up. (comment not necessarily directed to the dhr specifically).
While I agree that expensive DH frames should be designed for decent longevity, I don't think it is fair to say aluminum is a bad choice for frame material. All things considered, I think the popular aluminum alloys are a great choice for building a frame.
Yes, it has no endurance limit, but the design engineer can choose a design, alloy, weld technique, heat treat, etc to produce an aluminum frame with plenty of life without being heavy. Like anything, the design is in the details.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
know of any v10c failures yet?

I suppose you could call it anecdotal evidence, but I disagree with the aluminum comment. My Aluminum front triangle 2003 BB7 has been rocking for almost a decade now!

What could be done is increase the material thickness to avoid issues like that session from MD that wrapped itself around a tree. You weight weenies can't have your cake and eat it too...:rofl:

No comment on this transition.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I suppose you could call it anecdotal evidence, but I disagree with the aluminum comment. My Aluminum front triangle 2003 BB7 has been rocking for almost a decade now!
i specifically stated 'for lightweight applications'. there are indeed some great alu bikes, such as yours, that are bombproof. just some of the current coke-can frames that i find questionable. again, not saying the new dhr is necessarily frail; time will tell. i'm sure frames like the old twin toptube dhr and your bb7 are heavier than they need to be by modern standards, given todays tube forming technologies & fea analysis, but it's hard to argue with that kind of longevity.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
In the near future, top of the line DH racing frames may not be suitable for year-in-year-out bike park shreddage by riders who don't have pro-level skills and pro-level spares support. We may have reached this point already as regards to durability or price or geometry.

I liked some of the thinking behind the Santa Cruz Driver8. I would enjoy watching a novice navigate a Summum down A-line. You don't race an F1 car at your local mall parking lot autocross.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
In the near future, top of the line DH racing frames may not be suitable for year-in-year-out bike park shreddage...
and this is where 'alternative' materials (such as carbon or high zoot steel) come in. we should expect 5+ years of abuse out of our dh frames at $3k+ pricepoints.