Quantcast

End of the week day

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The story I always heard was that it was designed to strip to prevent breaking the head off or stripping the threads while not allowing the driver to slip and gouge/scratch paint like a flathead. That old Ford Model T assembly line didn't have torque limited drivers.
That’s what I’ve always heard about the Philips as well, but not the Ford part, just that they’re designed to cam out at proper torque.

Story I’ve heard about Ford was that they wanted Robertson drive so they could get away from flathead which can’t be reliably driven with a power tool. They didn’t want to pay the licensing fee for the superior screws and ended up just settling on Philips.

Robertson screws are the shit! Torx has their place but if the driver and drive socket aren’t made pretty close to perfect they strip like hell, the taper on the square drive means they’re always a perfect fit.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Damn it. I was at my kiddos school event earlier and there was a dad telling me about how the Ford assembly line hours changed the american work week.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That’s what I’ve always heard about the Philips as well, but not the Ford part, just that they’re designed to cam out at proper torque.

Story I’ve heard about Ford was that they wanted Robertson drive so they could get away from flathead which can’t be reliably driven with a power tool. They didn’t want to pay the licensing fee for the superior screws and ended up just settling on Philips.

Robertson screws are the shit! Torx has their place but if the driver and drive socket aren’t made pretty close to perfect they strip like hell, the taper on the square drive means they’re always a perfect fit.
Robertson ftw hey!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
update on Angela: The injectable anti inflammatories and pain meds seem to be helping. Swelling has to go down more to get the MRI done well (Toshi???) per her spinal doc.
Yup, usually will wait a week or three from acute injury before MRI. Else it’s all just background edema.