Quantcast

End of the week day

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
- $12-15k for the Hot Tub (but I'd likely buy used and have serviced, maybe a new heating unit).
- Ikea Pax for the closets (I've already done it before) - $2500
- Cabinets.com for the laundry room - $2500
- $5-7k painting

And the theoretical now being the pergola. She's pulled back on that one since it will take away from her future backyard remodel.

All said, $20-25k. Or... I throw that away the moment I drive off the lot.
Just as I suspected. No Peleton shed.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Lol, Wifey thought our new ///Deck, hot tub, enclosed storage, deck roof, concrete work, etc, would be somewhere within 10k of the contractors quote. I laughed. It has cost three times the original quote, and already needs a 5k repair.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:panic:

God-damned safety valve popped on the pressure cooker. Apparently I had too much corned beef in their and it clogged the relief hole. The thing popped like a 4th of July mortar and then it was a fucking Old Faithful of meat and beer spraying down the whole kitchen. What an unholy mess. Holy shit is my heart rate through the roof..

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

God-damned safety valve popped on the pressure cooker. Apparently I had too much corned beef in their and it clogged the relief hole. The thing popped like a 4th of July mortar and then it was a fucking Old Faithful of meat and beer spraying down the whole kitchen. What an unholy mess. Holy shit is my heart rate through the roof..
Goddammit... I'm really sorry you had to go through that shit, but I'm rolling over here. :D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

The only thing that will fix this is many much more alcohol.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lol, Wifey thought our new ///Deck, hot tub, enclosed storage, deck roof, concrete work, etc, would be somewhere within 10k of the contractors quote. I laughed. It has cost three times the original quote, and already needs a 5k repair.
Yeah. Wifey has no gauge of cost. I'm realistically looking at a <$5k used hot tub, with the necessary concrete work, electrical to get a 220 set up, should be under $10k.

I tend to keep things relatively close and realistic regarding estimates.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh I saw the one for CA, I didn’t post it because I was concerned it might trigger you.
like there's anything left to 'trigger'

2-3 feet of an ice/snow mix, really. A lot of weight, that’s for sure.

but ice dams....

that's what usually causes leaking

2-3ft

That's what I shoveled my roof DOWN to :rofl:

This is after we got the first two feet of newer lighter stuff off

roof20230303_115411.jpg

I don't think depth/mass matters....it's sustained cold. That's the one thing we got this year that was somewhat unusual....I'm sure it's been more sustained and colder where you are.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One of my favorite rides is to park at Daniel Ridge lot, up to Gloucester gap then Butter and Cat Gap, dump out behind the Fish Hatchery and take Davidson River trail to Cove Creek and climb up to the connector, then bomb down Daniel Ridge creek side back to the car. Also can neither confirm or deny the use of an illegal trail for time travel purposes.
@Dirtrider hooked up a good loop of those trails for us. Have done them a few times now.

Cat Gap is a fun trail, nothing hard but just balls out fast. What's Gloucester?

I believe we always started at the fish hatchery, rode up to and up Cove Creek...I remember one time there being some side trail here that was fun. Then over to and down Daniel Ridge, followed by finishing with Long Branch and Cat Gap back to the car. Have yet to do most of Butter.

Buddy and I only did it once, but the very top of Long Branch was cool, at least a few years ago it was. It was like riding down a ten foot deep orange trench.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
like there's anything left to 'trigger'

but ice dams....

that's what usually causes leaking

2-3ft

That's what I shoveled my roof DOWN to :rofl:

This is after we got the first two feet of newer lighter stuff off

View attachment 191047

I don't think depth/mass matters....it's sustained cold. That's the one thing we got this year that was somewhat unusual....I'm sure it's been more sustained and colder where you are.
How tall are you for reference?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Dirtrider hooked up a good loop of those trails for us. Have done them a few times now.

Cat Gap is a fun trail, nothing hard but just balls out fast. What's Gloucester?

I believe we always started at the fish hatchery, rode up to and up Cove Creek...I remember one time there being some side trail here that was fun. Then over to and down Daniel Ridge, followed by finishing with Long Branch and Cat Gap back to the car. Have yet to do most of Butter.

Buddy and I only did it once, but the very top of Long Branch was cool, at least a few years ago it was. It was like riding down a ten foot deep orange trench.
Gloucester gap is just where the dirt roads intersect coming up from Daniel Ridge lot. You turn left and continue on to get to the top of Butter.

Butter has some steep sections, muddy, rock-slab-slidie bits, and no shortage of wet rawks n'roots. Until April 15 you can keep the party rolin all the way down Cat to the Fish Hatchery. Soooo much fuuuuun...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

St Patkakke's Day Massacre

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Por Que? Is it a functional issue, or do you just have an aversion to warm bodies of water other people banged it out in?
Total crap shoot in terms of quality, especially because a lot of times people are selling them because they are old, or didn't use it as much as they thought they would, or just didn't take good care of it with proper maintenance (usually 2 or more of those aspects).

We poked around at used tubs and decided it wasn't worth it. Got a brand new one. There are sales, we got ours on black Friday weekend and the amount we saved paid for the installation and then some. They even had a special and we got upgraded to a salt system for free. For the tub, salt system, concrete pad, electric work & permit, cedar privacy wall (our idea as an upgrade) delivery and installation all in we were about $17k.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

I can’t decide which parts of this belong in the no context thread. I can’t quote it all because then there’s context. FML

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I can’t decide which parts of this belong in the no context thread. I can’t quote it all because then there’s context. FML
I'll do you a solid then, but you best be quick.

Had a moment this evening where nothing on the oven wanted to turn on or work right. Pretty sure the control panel got filled with hot, high pressure, steaming meat juices. Took it apart, let it air out for a while and everything seems to work now, no lube required.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
FUCK FUCK FUCK. My best friends wife is a horse trainer another rider lost control of their horse and it slammed into my friends wife who was riding a clients horse and knocked them over. Angela's horse landed on top of her and Angela has fractures of L4 and 5 (both spinous and compression) that show up on the xrays. MRI has been scheduled. reduced range of movement but no paralysis

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
FUCK FUCK FUCK. My best friends wife is a horse trainer another rider lost control of their horse and it slammed into my friends wife who was riding a clients horse and knocked them over. Angela's horse landed on top of her and Angela has fractures of L4 and 5 (both spinous and compression) that show up on the xrays. MRI has been scheduled. reduced range of movement but no paralysis
Jeezus. ++vibes

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I need some nap roulette in my life, like 2 hours ago.

Also, seems like winter is holding the ---k on around here...

what's a "winter"?
Argument around car is starting to go more to my favor. Wifey has her "renovations" list for the house and the premium we'd be paying for the car, can fulfill most of those requests. Paint office cabinets white? Done. Closet organizers? Done. Hot tub? Done. And probably leftover to paint the whole interior of the house if she really wants to - all from the damn down payment fund I've been saving for the car. Best part? All are home improvements, so I can add them to house basis when we eventually sell it in the future vs. a depreciating asset of a car.
enjoy your home upgrades AND your new Q7!!!
Gloucester gap is just where the dirt roads intersect coming up from Daniel Ridge lot. You turn left and continue on to get to the top of Butter.

Butter has some steep sections, muddy, rock-slab-slidie bits, and no shortage of wet rawks n'roots. Until April 15 you can keep the party rolin all the way down Cat to the Fish Hatchery. Soooo much fuuuuun...
eff that overcrowded noise and just ride wilsons. or nonsanctioned trails off various points along the parkway. :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Shit

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Pre clean up photos please. need to compare it Pythons Meaning of life restaurant's Mr Creosote post explosion. :rofl:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
imma need @HardtailHack to sort this shit out this summer
I'm not sure what I have to sort, but just yesterday I threw a tantrum and decided I'd never go to a country that thinks mounting a switch in a prick of a location using thread locked flat headed screws is okay.
Flat fuckin' head screws to hold contactors and switches in place, EAD America!
If you get really lucky you might even get 2" long brass flat head screws to play with.

Now it's time to sort a Subaru door locking mechanism, so Japan might be off my list of places to go too.

Earlier I used Google's screening service to reject a call from a number I didn't know. Turns out it was about a Navara with a cracked firewall, only fire can fix a Navara, don't care which country they came from, they were all shit, just in slightly different ways.

Get off my lawn!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You ever see the original phillips head patent or know the story behind it?

clifnotes: the OG design was badass and looked far more like a torx fitting, whereas the asshole who took over the patent via lawyers fucked it up to the strip friendly design we have today because it was easier to manufacture

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

clifnotes: the OG design was badass and looked far more like a torx fitting, whereas the asshole who took over the patent via lawyers fucked it up to the strip friendly design we have today because it was easier to manufacture
The story I always heard was that it was designed to strip to prevent breaking the head off or stripping the threads while not allowing the driver to slip and gouge/scratch paint like a flathead. That old Ford Model T assembly line didn't have torque limited drivers.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Nope, but I do like JIS screws.
I just bought this-
1679105921710.png

And this so I get less angry next time I have to do the same job.
1679106025551.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How have you of all people not got a set like this already?
Well I do have things that end up like set that but nothing I can find locally has all the bits that make the Tone set so useful, plus I can drill more holes in the foam to add more bits so I only have to take one set.

The switch I was swearing at was under a hyd pump and had supports welded around it so without an articulating handle the job was a right pain in the pecker. Having a hex drive head will be very handy a lot of the time, it's annoying that I have to go to Amaz..... Japan to find the things that ol' sausage fingers here needs............maybe wants.
I hate being slow on a customer's site coz I don't have the right gear, even worse is having to leave a site to go get something useful.