Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
tinfoil/csb: DoD disaster recovery includes actively choking port 80

fml

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Its got everyone here in Richmond acting crazy. The news is blowing it way out of proportion.

I did have some damage at home, getting ready to call the insurance company now.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
there is a nuke reactor here in my building. evacuated for the next three hours. and i left my keys in my office... damn.
Are you at NIST?

The building I was working at evacuated for about 10 minutes but now nobody is doing any work like a bunch of slackers.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id love to experience a huge earthquake like the one in Japan...just not in a highrise building. today's "small" quake was pretty cool i thought.

the local sh!tty bridges around here didnt fair so well though....hooray for PA's road system.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
id love to experience a huge earthquake like the one in Japan...just not in a highrise building. today's "small" quake was pretty cool i thought.
Presumably though you wouldn't want to be one of the 25,000 killed, or the 300,000 left homeless or the 80,000 whose land has been rendered uninhabitable by radiation. Yeah but apart from that it'd probably be as cool as hell, Japan should open an earthquake theme park!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Presumably though you wouldn't want to be one of the 25,000 killed, or the 300,000 left homeless or the 80,000 whose land has been rendered uninhabitable by radiation. Yeah but apart from that it'd probably be as cool as hell, Japan should open an earthquake theme park!
yep, thats exactly what i meant :think:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Phone call from mom, several hours after the "earthquake":

Mom: "Did you feel that earthquake?!?"
Me: "No.....this is the first I've heard of it"
Mom: "Really??"
Me: "Of course not"
Mom: "My chair was shaking like crazy, I thought I was having a stroke!"
Me: "Pretty sure that's not a symptom of a stroke mom..."

I love my mom.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Friend who works at a reptile zoo:

I was upstairs in the venomous snake room and all the rattlesnakes started rattling at once right before it happened. All their tanks shook. It felt like our bulldozer at the zoo hit the building!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What Zoo is this and can I get in the Bulldozer and start it up if I go there? I love Zoo's. To combine my love and animals and heavy equipment all in the same place gets me all crazy!!
its the "destroying the rain forest exhibit." its interactive

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Sh!t scattered all over our house, nothing on shelves. No major structre damage. F this. (We are about 45 miles due east of epicenter) Weird stuff, wife said house was like jello.

Now a hurricane to prep for. God hates Obama! lol

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
its the "destroying the rain forest exhibit." its interactive
I only think I could pretend to destroy the Rain Forest. Destroying the actual Rain Forest sounds like to much work for very little reward. I mean after that pretty much everyone who doesn't already hate me, will start up right away.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like a lot of Central Va historic buildings are damaged. Sadly, they will likely be replaced with more strip malls and McMansions.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Was on the 3rd floor of an all metal frame building, definitely feel it more when your high up. The one I felt a few years ago, while I was working in the Hanes Mall felt 10x more powerful though, and arbrupt, kinda like a pterodactyl jumping around on the floor above us

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
<yaaawn>

You guys back east had an earthquake? All by yourselves? Awww, how cute.

Oh no! Look out for the tsunami! It's right behind you! Ha! Made you look!

:p

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
yep, thats exactly what i meant :think:
So when you said "id love to experience a huge earthquake like the one in Japan" what exactly did you mean? There's nothing to love about big earthquakes, to people in Japan your comment is like saying "I'd love to experience being raped and beaten a bit".

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
What Zoo is this and can I get in the Bulldozer and start it up if I go there? I love Zoo's. To combine my love and animals and heavy equipment all in the same place gets me all crazy!!
Hopefully you'd already fallen out of your chair post-masturbation before the quake hit.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So when you said "id love to experience a huge earthquake like the one in Japan" what exactly did you mean? There's nothing to love about big earthquakes, to people in Japan your comment is like saying "I'd love to experience being raped and beaten a bit".
I think what he meant was that it would be interesting to feel the earth move like that, all the horribleness aside.

Actually it would be very interesting to be in a totally unpopulated place, with nothing around to fall on you and kill you, and then experience a huge earthquake.

As far as I can tell, earthquakes are only dangerous or problems in populated areas. After effets like tsunamis aside, I mean the immidiate damage caused by an earthquake. Hmmmm... what are the potential dangers or problems of a large earthquake in an unpopulated area? Anyone know? I know next to nothing about geology.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
see Ciaran's comment below.
and thanks for continuing to put words in my mouth.
would you prefer i have said the 9.5 in Chile?:think:

I think what he meant was that it would be interesting to feel the earth move like that, all the horribleness aside.

Actually it would be very interesting to be in a totally unpopulated place, with nothing around to fall on you and kill you, and then experience a huge earthquake.
exactly

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was ground floor during 6.7 the Northridge quake in '95 roughly 20 miles from the epicenter. That knocked me over from the initial ground shift.

I was on the top bunk of my bed during the 6.0 Whittier quake in '87 roughly 3 miles from the epicenter.

In both cases I was living in the LA area where the ground is mostly a sandy fill, which amplifies the shaking intensity. The shaking went over for over 2min in both cases. Scary isht on both fronts.

The scariest I was in was actually was only a 4.something, but the epicenter was on the Hayward fault .25 miles from my dorm. What made it particularly jarring was that my room was built directly over the fault and the room shifter by about .5" while we were sitting there. Watching the room you are in start splitting apart will make you just abut isht yourself.

I can only imagine how insane an 8+ would be... especially on sandy soil. Liquefaction in low magnitude quakes is already dramatic enough.