Quantcast

DVO Suspension - potential new player?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Please make a Ti-coil-sprung 180mm fork. :)
(just like the now-discontinued 66 RC3 Ti Evo .......)
Then market the sh!t out of it to the "enduro"/mini-DH crowd.

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
Are we going to see some proto stuff at Fontana during the winter series.?.?
We will most likely have a fork or 2 being tested at the races in Fontana. If you see the DVO van and trailer at the races feel free to hit us up to check out the product.

Ronnie

Ronnie

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
With the exception of more limited angleset adjustment I don't see a downside to the tapered steerer and a bigger bearing is nice down there. Like everywhere else I'd expect a bigger tube to allow more stiffness at the same or lower weight. Few current DH frames have 1 1/8" headtubes.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Why on Earth have they got a tapered head tube? I mean it serves absolutely no purpose, other than stopping people with 1.125" headtubes buying your fork (congratulations on going broke).

I hope it's just an option, but even if it is, seems like a way to increase costs with no benefits.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
With the exception of more limited angleset adjustment I don't see a downside to the tapered steerer and a bigger bearing is nice down there. Like everywhere else I'd expect a bigger tube to allow more stiffness at the same or lower weight. Few current DH frames have 1 1/8" headtubes.
Downside is reduced market share and extra manufacturing expense for no negligible stiffness increase. Adding features that cost money with no benefit is a bad way to make something.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's a 2014 fork and people are already crying that it doesn't have the steerer they want, if you see above you'll see a post by someone called Ronnie Dilan, it would seem he is from DVO.

Why not ask Mr Dilan if a straight steerer will be an option before whinging?

Edit- As to no benefits, they fatigue(stress?) test the forks so I'm sure they'd be able to work out if a tapered tube gives a benefit or not.

Last edited:
i think the tapered steer + crown configuration confers a greater amount of stiffness than a straight 1.125" steerer.

i have no data to back this up, but having went from a straight 1.125" to tapered steerer Lyric on my enduro bike, the felt increase in stiffness was very apparent.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
i think the tapered steer + crown configuration confers a greater amount of stiffness than a straight 1.125" steerer.

i have no data to back this up, but having went from a straight 1.125" to tapered steerer Lyric on my enduro bike, the felt increase in stiffness was very apparent.
You cannot compare a single crown fork to a double crown fork.

Think about how loads are transfering to the steerer on each seperate fork. One has a very small, singluar contact where loads pass through, the other has two, one on top and the other on the bottom.

This is why you don't need a tappered steerer for a double crown fork.

And with regards to 'bigger bearings', theoretically, a 1-1/8 steerer in a 1.5 lower headtube would allow for a much 'bigger bearing', if someone would make such a headset (aside from old Nicolai fettset ones)

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

That's true with single crown. Triples(duals, whatever)can overcome any steerer flex as they have three tubes, and two crowns.
Does limit angleset options. But if you can afford a 2014 fork, you probably can a fford a new lazy head angle bike.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It is a carbon one piece steerer tube and lower crown, this is why it has to be tapered. :D ;)
I really love this idea.
Too bad, really.

single crown vs. double. You can get away with tiny steerer tubes (ie a threaded rod) if you use dual crowns. There isn't much logic in a tapered steerer and dual crowns unless the uppers are extremely flimsy. It's always surprised me that nobody (aside from avalanche and maverick) has ever gone the rod-route, as you would gain huge amounts of adjustability in head angle and offset, which could be the next "head angle" in terms of handling.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I was skeptical at first, but supposedly the tapered does make a big difference in torsional stiffness on an inverted dual crown. Maybe not for a standard dual crown, but an inverted it helps.

Wait, scratch that, I'm sure they engineers did NO research or testing on this whatsoever....:P

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was skeptical at first, but supposedly the tapered does make a big difference in torsional stiffness on an inverted dual crown. Maybe not for a standard dual crown, but an inverted it helps.

Wait, scratch that, I'm sure they engineers did NO research or testing on this whatsoever....:P
well they're using ported dampers and drawing everything up in crayon, right? I mean that's what it sounds like here.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
It's pretty halirious to see this much uproar about something as simple as a tapered steerer, considering most of the frames made past 2007 are either a full 1.5 or tapered 44/56. The tapered steerer really isn't that big of a deal.

I'm just eager to see the tech detail about the fork... Carbon or aluminium?.. What exactly did they do to combat flex?... The suspension industry needs moar competition IMO.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I like the idea. Aren't anglesets more of a patch for old geometry anyway? Sounds like the gimble style ones are a PITA anyway?

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
It's pretty halirious to see this much uproar about something as simple as a tapered steerer, considering most of the frames made past 2007 are either a full 1.5 or tapered 44/56. The tapered steerer really isn't that big of a deal.

I'm just eager to see the tech detail about the fork... Carbon or aluminium?.. What exactly did they do to combat flex?... The suspension industry needs moar competition IMO.
no uproar from me.

reason im out is that i ride a summum.

they have a built in anglecup system, and a 1.5 bottom wont fit. it needs to 1 1/8

thats about it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like the idea. Aren't anglesets more of a patch for old geometry anyway? Sounds like the gimble style ones are a PITA anyway?
yeah but some people like messing with their geometry. I had a -1.5* cup on a Sunday, but found it to be too much for my slender-wristed riding ability. I would have gone back to a -1*, but I up and sold the bike. I hated the setup, as it was the only thing on the bike that needed constant maintenance, but it did change the geometry.

One thing to note is that I think you can still run one, you just need a full 1.5" setup, and the bottom cup extends from the frame.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
well they're using ported dampers and drawing everything up in crayon, right? I mean that's what it sounds like here.
Crayon? What do you think this is? 2050? Don't let Ronnie fool you. No, they have a big sandbox out behind the office where they use sticks to sketch out ideas. They then verbally describe the schematics over the phone to the factory. DUH!

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Why are you guys all going full bore retard over a silhouette of the fork? How do know there will not be other steer tube options?

I know it has been raining and most of you are upset because the Jersey shore no longer has a place to film their ****ty show but relax a little, the full details about the fork will be out soon and hopefully the Sandy swept the Guidos out to sea.

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
Crayon? What do you think this is? 2050? Don't let Ronnie fool you. No, they have a big sandbox out behind the office where they use sticks to sketch out ideas. They then verbally describe the schematics over the phone to the factory. DUH!
So you have seen my work bench.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Can we have at least one topic that's not full of RM self flagellating irony? I know it's unfashionable to talk about bikes here but I almost choked on a crayon as a child so I prefer to read a bit more on the plans for fork.

I'm with Sandwitch on the Maverick - that had some neat ideas even if the final product wasn't perfect.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can we have at least one topic that's not full of RM self flagellating irony? I know it's unfashionable to talk about bikes here but I almost choked on a crayon as a child so I prefer to read a bit more on the plans for fork.

I'm with Sandwitch on the Maverick - that had some neat ideas even if the final product wasn't perfect.
not really. They aren't going to tell us anything until they're ready, so I'd rather continuously entertain myself with childish commentary about the coconut-laden air speed of 6000 series alloy than beat to death a mysterious crayon drawring of a fork that may not exist yet. When it comes out, or is actually tested by anybody besides MBA, we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming of asking if it comes in root beer and whether or not it has enough shims to maintain DW approved yaw angles.

In the meantime, I apologize for what that crayon did to you when you were younger, but I assure you that there are many good crayons out there that will be happy to make drawrings at your beck and call.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

stop bringing sense into this! the e-engineers said its dumb and not needed!! 1 1/8" HT DH bikes are coming back maaaan

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We use the best crayons when we put the design down on paper!
While it's generally good to see insiders posting here, it's not so great to see someone obviously allowing this thread to escalate when all you have to do is tell people whether there will be an option for a straight 1.125" steerer or not.

Ya'll are getting played.