Quantcast

DVO Suspension - potential new player?

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
While it's generally good to see insiders posting here, it's not so great to see someone obviously allowing this thread to escalate when all you have to do is tell people whether there will be an option for a straight 1.125" steerer or not.

Ya'll are getting played.
Just to clear up some things here real quick. DVO will release a 1 1/8th version of the crown so that everyone can setup a brand new Emerald on they're bike when the fork is available for sale. We did not realise that there was such a huge controversy regarding a tapered steertube. There are so many options available for frame and headset fitments in the market right now.

Ronnie

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
thx ronnie.

you just made the x-mas card list.

Also i have these magic markers for you- they might be better then your crayons and sand .. just saying...

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
stop bringing sense into this! the e-engineers said its dumb and not needed!! 1 1/8" HT DH bikes are coming back maaaan
Real Engineer thank you very much mate.

Good they're offering 1.125. Not everyone uses a brand new dh frame, my 06 demo9 frame just won't die.

Ronnie Dilan

Chimp
Oct 15, 2012
Hey Ronnie,I have the Dorado and think it's the best fork ever made.What in your opinion is better about the Emerald and where will it be made?
We have a couple of things going on with the Emerald that you will never find on any of the other manufacturers suspension products. I wish that I could give a little more insight to the features that the Emerald will have compared to your Dorado but I have to wait a couple more days! The fork will be made in Taiwan at our facility, starting next week with a few prototype forks getting pushed out for testing ASAP.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Real Engineer thank you very much mate.

Good they're offering 1.125. Not everyone uses a brand new dh frame, my 06 demo9 frame just won't die.

Was going to say, people were just explaining why there's no 'need' for a tapered steerer in this application. Who cares if some of us collect pay cheques as real life engineers. No e-engineering or disparaging at all. Then along comes the knuckle dragger group to start their typical, nonsensical diatribes about how people are ‘e-engineering’ and yada yada. Typical knee-jerk reaction from people who couldn’t figure out what a linear expansion coefficient is if they sat for 6 years in a class. Enjoy your sub 30k sallaries, gentlemen......

Last edited:

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
We have a couple of things going on with the Emerald that you will never find on any of the other manufacturers suspension products. I wish that I could give a little more insight to the features that the Emerald will have compared to your Dorado but I have to wait a couple more days! The fork will be made in Taiwan at our facility, starting next week with a few prototype forks getting pushed out for testing ASAP.
I may have missed it, but is there a target price released yet?

Also, what quantities are you planning on running, first year? Currious how many you project on moving.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sounds amazing seriously, i am all for the tapered carbon.

Can't wait to see pricing info, I'll be in the market for a '14 fork after the upcoming season.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
love it! Still question the need for a tapered steerer on a double crown fork, but OK, I guess. Maybe it helps with leg-leg forces? Will be neat to see the real deal.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i guess we will see shortly, apparently there will be something to see at that taichung bikeshow ?

As for pricing, the german article mentions it will be priced same as the competition.

but with emphasis on extra service etc.

im guessing they are going for a VIP treatment programme for their customers and a product that is if not superior then at least as good as anything out there now.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Was going to say, people were just explaining why there's no 'need' for a tapered steerer in this application. Who cares if some of us collect pay cheques as real life engineers. No e-engineering or disparaging at all. Then along comes the knuckle dragger group to start their typical, nonsensical diatribes about how people are ‘e-engineering’ and yada yada. Typical knee-jerk reaction from people who couldn’t figure out what a linear expansion coefficient is if they sat for 6 years in a class. Enjoy your sub 30k sallaries, gentlemen......
so when is your fork coming to market?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wow 5 posts and no one has said anything about the carbon torsion bridge. Maybe because the photo hides what it actually is? I can't wait for the blown minds when they release of picture of that.

Also, evidently that is a mistake saying that the uppers are carbon I believe. I think they will be aluminum.

some more info from mtb-news.de :

203 mm travel
Patented Carbon torsion bridge
Carbon Tubes
adjustable high and low speed compression and rebound
26 "and 27.5" options
Tapered headtube
Target weight 2.9 kilos
open oil bath with 2-piston shock absorber technology
and other innovative features that you want to shake up the market.

http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2012/11/01/2014-dvo-emerald-inverted-neue-updside-down-gabel-angeteasert/

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure they've done their homework and figured it out but I'm not sure how they're hoping to get a bridge to add any real stiffness.

The bridge will add stiffness to the stanchion guards, but unless those guards are really firmly attached to the dropout (i.e. not just a couple of allen bolts like you'd see on a dorado/shiver/white bros etc) what's the point?

If the brake mount still attaches to the dropout, a bridge connecting the stanchion guards together will be as noticeable as a fart in a hurricane.

I suppose I need to see the final fork but I'm certainly not convinced at the mo, especially as the other 'advancement' to stiffen the fork is a pointless tapered steerer tube

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Torsion bridge on an inverted fork? So, an upside-down fork with an arch from a regular side-up fork?

Man it would be awesome if they made it into an "M" arch. :D

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
love it! Still question the need for a tapered steerer on a double crown fork, but OK, I guess. Maybe it helps with leg-leg forces? Will be neat to see the real deal.
The torsional stiffness (in the vertical fore-aft plane) of the lower crown in an inverted fork is one of the biggest factors in the overall torsional stiffness of the fork (note how huge moto lower crowns are), but when weight is also a big deal, it makes sense to have the most efficient strength/stiffness to weight ratio. A larger steerer tube interface helps to optimise this in a few ways:
1. By giving the crown much greater purchase on the steerer
2. By shortening the length of the crown between the steerer tube and the upper tube surfaces
3. By allowing the crown to have a larger polar moment of inertia for a given weight, particularly at the critical junction between steerer and crown, where profile/tyre clearance are a concern.

Given that it's offered in a 1.125 configuration anyway, I think the tapered steerer option is a smart move. Whether or not it makes a huge difference, only the people with the real world numbers can tell you, but there is no argument about it being a more structurally efficient design than a straight 1.125.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
It'll be stiffer, but are there that many people being troubled with fore/aft play on double clamp forks at the mo? We're not running 30mm legs anymore.

Also in the age where everyone is an e - engineer not being able to run an angleset is a sin. Everyone knows that you won't win your Cat C race down a glorified walking trail with a HA steeper than 61degrees.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Too busy working in the defense and aerospace industry where the real money and demand is, kiddo.
Nice with the wise; yay - you're an engineer, but your also an.....

If you dont have something to add, keep your fluffy ego in check. This one has already been designed, without your help.

Now run along.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Nice with the wise; yay - you're an engineer, but your also an.....

If you dont have something to add, keep your fluffy ego in check. This one has already been designed, without your help.

Now run along.

No thanks. This is already a joke, what with needing a masters to understand how their forks work... Apparently.

Also, grade school must have passed you by, because no one here had a problem with the tapered steer tube. Some just asked about redundancy. Steve M provided a good reasoning, like an adult. You provided nothing other than being an...

Now what have you added, captain kettle?

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It'll be stiffer, but are there that many people being troubled with fore/aft play on double clamp forks at the mo? We're not running 30mm legs anymore.

Also in the age where everyone is an e - engineer not being able to run an angleset is a sin. Everyone knows that you won't win your Cat C race down a glorified walking trail with a HA steeper than 61degrees.
The torsional stiffness between each of the upper tubes is what I'm actually referring to. Being stiffer overall from front to rear is far less of a concern IMO, any DC fork with decent size stanchions is as you say stiff enough as it is.