Quantcast

dishwasher recommendation?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We're getting a new one. Since we're not moving until the kids leave home, we're willing to spend any reasonable amount to get a good one. I think one with a garbage disposal is worth it?

Any suggestions?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My two requirements are that the flatware basket be in the door, I hate how much space is wasted by putting it in the middle of the bottom tray, and I like to have a second spinner/sprayer for the upper tray.

Brands? I dunno, our Kenmore ones have been pretty reliable. I really like the way Vikings look though.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
All I hear is stay away from GE. Will someone inform me as to the quality of this advice?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
If you can get Bosch over there, do so. Best dishwasher in my experience (and I'm a prof chef if that helps).

.....right, back to bikes.......

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
We got ours at the Sears "scratch and dent" store (Outlet). When we bought it, they were running a sale and the dishwasher was an aditional $100 off, so we got it for about half price.

They had a couple of Bosch washers, too.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
We've had a Maytag in our two previous abodes and have a Whirlpool now. We really liked the Maytags and hate the Whilpool. The lower rack is very poorly designed making fitting anything in it difficult. Our plates and pasta bowls have to be carefully arranged or they will hit the top rack spinner. All of our appliances are Whirlpool (that is all the contractor was offering at a discount) and here is my review.
I agree on your assesment of the Whirlpool. I've got the "deep tub" model so hitting the spinner isn't an issue with mine but the rack won't hold plates firmly at all and they just seem to flop back and forth. I have to lean the first one against the inside wall. :disgust1:

On the plus side the unit does run whisper quiet (but most new ones do) and the built in disposer is nice to not have to "pre wash" your dishes.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
one bit of advise tho.... whatever you buy make damn sure there isnt a sprayer tube that extends up from the bottom spinner thru the center of the bottom rack.

I HATE that design!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Another vote for Bosch. We've had ours since Spring and we love it. Quiet! And we didn't find that they were that much more expensive.

toby

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
aren't you still in the manufacturing phase for child #1?

talk about mapping out one's future.
I told my wife when we bought our house this year to find a house and neighborhood that she absolutely loved cuz we're not moving.

She did, in three days.

Just found out today that our HOA includes snow removal service :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
for all the people who crave quiet dishwashers, what's wrong w/ setting the timer and running them in the middle of the night?

i suppose if you've got a small domicile and yr bedroom is close to the kitchen, it might make a difference.