Quantcast

DH Rig from Saracen

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I posted this on MTBR earlier today, so I figured I'd put it down here as well. Saw it on BikeRadar this morning:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/prototype-saracen-myst-downhill-bike-first-look-25145

We’ve reported previously on the resurrection of Saracen bikes, and now the company have released details of their new Myst downhill bike, albeit in prototype form.

After signing British dirt jumper Lance McDermott to ride the new Amplitude jump bike, it seems that Saracen aren’t ruling out the possibility of a downhill race team either, with Saracen brand manager Simon Wild saying: “We’re serious about the future and wouldn’t rule out a race team for 2011.”

We wonder whether the Athertons will one day pilot a Saracen downhill bike to victory...

The Myst pictured is a high-end build, weighing in at just over 38lb, but a more affordable yet still raceworthy bike looks viable for around the £2,000 mark, and should be available to buy by July.

Wild said: “We’ve got a medium (black frame) and large (white frame) that we will do shock testing on in March with Mojo. The bike is the first sample and uses a conventional front section. We’re working on a front section with new tubes and these will be ready closer to the launch in July.”

Aesthetically, I like the look of it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
At first I was like....

But then i was like...

Looks good. That lower pivot is in a nice spot. The frame looks super burly without being "overbuilt". Shock looks easy to get to and tune.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Apparently Saracen is/was a Huffy-type brand in the US previously, and now they're trying to turn over a new leaf. I like the way this rig looks, but I'm no engineer and I couldn't tell you how those linkages are going to affect the feel of the suspension. All I can say is that it looks nice, haha.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Apparently Saracen is/was a Huffy-type brand in the US previously, and now they're trying to turn over a new leaf.
I never realised they'd made it to the US, I'm pretty sure they've always been a UK based brand. My first 'real' bike was a Saracen X-ile 2000 model, £300 jump hardtail, absoloutely sh*t stock parts but the frame lasted me as long as I needed it. I really like the look of the new frames, I just hope they ride well and don't crack cos it would be good to see a UK brand (or any brand for that matter) making a comeback.