Quantcast

Decent DH frame that doesn't weigh a TON?!?!?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
my ride is on diet now .. made some research for seat on CRC site

it seems that DMR Squid 160gram plus any pivotal seatpost (alienation 333mm 30.0mm 232g)

all for dirty 40€ :p this gonna replace my seat which weighs more that double :weee:

bmx stuffs can be used on DH, lol

If i ever find a long carbon pivotal seatpost, i would go mad!
I'd go pivotal if the seatposts were really as light as they could be. For now alienation is the only 30.9mm pivotal I've seen.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
bobsten, yepp. I saw this too. Too bad this is short, I hope more similar stuffs come in future since it is so easy to produce, I think.

norbar, there is 6 options in CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48514

compared this to Thomson Elite Standard and weighs 6 gram less than Thomson one. Not bad when Thomson costs much more.

Im looking for light casette.. I have Tiagra 11-25, it seems to be too small. so my requirement is 34 or 36t as largest sprocket for cassette. I see SLX/Saint cassette use other material for those larger sprockets. It'd be to cool use titanium sprockets for larger ones. As I see in other thread, 10speed 9-36t sounds cool.

I think I could to go for 7 speed from 36t to smaller i.e. removing smaller sprockets. but weight saving would be minimal eh? maybe less costs for fewer titanium sprockets if I ever find somewhere?

Has anybody tried singlespeed on DH? bad idea? :p

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know there are 6 different alienations sizes. The thing is that they can be MUCH lighter than that. That's a cheap seatpost. I know I'm being picky but they could easily be 30-50g lighter.

btw. You do realise there is tioga D spider pivotal? 124g. ;)

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I know there are 6 different alienations sizes. The thing is that they can be MUCH lighter than that. That's a cheap seatpost. I know I'm being picky but they could easily be 30-50g lighter.

btw. You do realise there is tioga D spider pivotal? 124g. ;)
124g? Tioga site tells 180gram. I guess someone weighted this, right? If it is really so, I will take tioga :)

I can run that cheap seatpost for a while before lighter ones come. Cannt wait for carbon fiber. :thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Strange. I could have sworn I've seen that weight somewhere. I must have been drunk. Though I'm surpised the pivotal saddle weights more than the cro-mo railed one. It's a bit crazy considering how bombproof the normal one is.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Funny, none of the top guys at the US open seemed to need DH tubes.
so you put yourself in the group of top WC riders then? cause i sure dont. i guess if i was one of the "top guys" at the Open, i wouldnt need to run dh tubes. :think:
those FR tubes worked great for Hill two years ago :rofl:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
or maybe you should try and ride trails around here with skimpy tubes.
diablow is a rim eater
I wouldn't ride CO trails with xc tubes, either. Ghetto tubeless has been flawless for me tho, unless I forget to add more sealant after a couple months.
I am 185lbs, though. Maybe if I was 120lbs...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I wouldn't ride CO trails with xc tubes, either. Ghetto tubeless has been flawless for me tho, unless I forget to add more sealant after a couple months.
I am 185lbs, though. Maybe if I was 120lbs...
Thats the thing. Ive been flatting even with dh tubes on rocky tracks. Any solution with sealant and that problem is gone.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The comment about the US Open Pro guys not needing DH tubes was a silly one. For the reasons mentioned, and also because most of us don't have a truck full of support staff out with us when we're spending a day at the lifts.

If I had a mechanic waiting at the bottom to fix a flat everytime I got one, I wouldn't care as much about avoiding them either.

And for the record, I got fewer flats at Diablo after switching to DH tubes.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Platty and Diablo both have a ton of rocks, but I think Diablo's rocks are more likely to give you a flat since they're stuck in the ground. Platty's shale just slides with your wheel, like small, sharp, gray coasters, haha.