Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That sucks.

I got officially unblinded from the Moderna trial. Placebo arm as I'd deduced via my blood donation antibody results.

Vaccine time tomorrow night. They're running from 6 AM - 9 PM, it appears.
Just curious, and this info is probably out there, but thought I'd ask you anyways caus' I'm lazy that way! How long is the wait between doses? And when does "immunity" kick in?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just curious, and this info is probably out there, but thought I'd ask you anyways caus' I'm lazy that way! How long is the wait between doses? And when does "immunity" kick in?
Pfizer is 21 days between doses
Moderna is 28 days between doses

Infection incidence curves diverge at about 7 days after shot 1, with days 1-7 probably reflective in part of people who were already infected at the first shot!

Here's Pfizer:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pfizer is 21 days between doses
Moderna is 28 days between doses

Infection incidence curves diverge at about 7 days after shot 1, with days 1-7 probably reflective in part of people who were already infected at the first shot!

Here's Pfizer:

If I remember correctly there was about a 65% efficacy after 1 shot and 95% after the second.

Obviously the risk to the individual is greatly reduced after the second shot, but could it not be considered better for the community at large to have twice the number of people walking around with a 65% effective vaccine?

Of course this assumes a long term supply shortage when it is rolled out the the general population. Makes sense to have high risk individuals under the emergency use clause go the full course.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Obviously the risk to the individual is greatly reduced after the second shot, but could it not be considered better for the community at large to have twice the number of people walking around with a 65% effective vaccine?
Given the fact that other vacs are in the 60-70% effective range, seems to make some sense, to my uneducated brain anyway.

I'd also say perhaps the staff at old folks homes should get the full dose, but maybe not the residents. Call me an asshole if you want, but if you can cut off the most likely path for the virus to enter the old folks home, it seems wasteful to give the vaccine to Francine, the 97 year old in poor health, who's probably not going to be around much more than another 3-6 months anyway. Give that dose to a person who can't be so easily protected who is also likely to have a very bad outcome, and for whom a Covid death robs them of more than a few months of life. Or give it to somebody with a high probability to exposure/infection who may then expose a bunch of other people, like Target or Vons employees, firefighters etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
they did an antibody test as part of your donation?
Yes, to identify potential convalescent plasma donors.

If I remember correctly there was about a 65% efficacy after 1 shot and 95% after the second.

Of course this assumes a long term supply shortage when it is rolled out the the general population. Makes sense to have high risk individuals under the emergency use clause go the full course.
I'm not sure if we have enough data re 1 shot regimes. Where did you read this 65% figure?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Given the fact that other vacs are in the 60-70% effective range, seems to make some sense, to my uneducated brain anyway.

I'd also say perhaps the staff at old folks homes should get the full dose, but maybe not the residents. Call me an asshole if you want, but if you can cut off the most likely path for the virus to enter the old folks home, it seems wasteful to give the vaccine to Francine, the 97 year old in poor health, who's probably not going to be around much more than another 3-6 months anyway. Give that dose to a person who can't be so easily protected who is also likely to have a very bad outcome, and for whom a Covid death robs them of more than a few months of life. Or give it to somebody with a high probability to exposure/infection who may then expose a bunch of other people, like Target or Vons employees, firefighters etc.
I am not sure if it is fully known whether a vaccinated person can be contagious. The vaccine isn't a force field that prevents it from infecting you, it pumps up your defense to handle the virus. It seems logical that it would certainly reduce the possibility of being contagious significantly.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Got the first of the Pfizer shots yesterday about 11a.m. Ran errands, finished clearing the drive of snow, ran around the neighborhood with the pooch.

Felt fine all day other than pain at the injection site. 4a.m. woke up sweaty with chills, no fever, arm really fucking sore and sinuses feeling really full of crud. All sort of dissipated over the next two hours. Now I just feel tired and wiped out. All stuff warned about as potential side effects.

Sitting around the house today. May try to get out on a bike or snowshoes tomorrow.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Got the first of the Pfizer shots yesterday about 11a.m. Ran errands, finished clearing the drive of snow, ran around the neighborhood with the pooch.

Felt fine all day other than pain at the injection site. 4a.m. woke up sweaty with chills, no fever, arm really fucking sore and sinuses feeling really full of crud. All sort of dissipated over the next two hours. Now I just feel tired and wiped out. All stuff warned about as potential side effects.

Sitting around the house today. May try to get out on a bike or snowshoes tomorrow.
So much to look forward to.

Get my shot at 10:30 tomorrow

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Isn't that normal? That means you immune system reacts strongly to it, which is a good thing. I usually take it easy for 1-2 days after a flu shot because I am tired and the muscle is sore.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Isn't that normal? That means you immune system reacts strongly to it, which is a good thing. I usually take it easy for 1-2 days after a flu shot because I am tired and the muscle is sore.
Yes, absolutely. Very normal side effects for something like that. I usually don't get anything from the flu shot other than a sore arm but this is an entirely different beast.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
4a.m. woke up sweaty with chills, no fever, arm really fucking sore and sinuses feeling really full of crud. All sort of dissipated over the next two hours. Now I just feel tired and wiped out. All stuff warned about as potential side effects.

That's just the microchip working it's way into the spinal fluid. It'll pass.