Quantcast

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I'd want to hear @scrublover feedback on this, but since her employer seems to give a fuck about testing, you guys might want to start doing the free local free testing regularly. Also looking into doing things like pick-up groceries when possible vs. going into the store. You guys just became a much larger concentrated risk.
Which part?

My hospital did one round of testing, just after things peaked in the spring. Only on those in direct care of Covid patients. None since. They don't want to know. If we want a test otherwise, we are on our own.

Our numbers are rising overall, and the amount of very sick patients in the PCU/SDU and intubated in ICU are rising. Combined with a decent amount of staff out (either sick or quarantined) is making for very unsafe patient care/staffing ratios. Not as bad as some places, or where we were in spring, but I've no doubt we'll get there again. Then, we had cancelled all elective procedures and had the staff from those areas to help. Management has not done that this time. Yet.

Adequate PPE so far. Though they are only giving N95 if you are working with the Covid patients directly, or are in the ER. Many people who have their own, and use it rather than hospital supply. Every patient admitted gets a rapid swab, and if symptomatic they get a full rule out workup. I'm sure this is leading to some transmission due to some patients coming up false negative/being asymptomatic.

Getting my vaccine (part the first!) this Friday. Mrs. Scrub as soon as able.

Work shoes stay there. I change into clean stuff and the worn scrubs go into a plastic bag before. Shower when home. Copious amounts of hand sanitizer used.

When going to the market, I'm wearing a N95. Not gloving, but again with lotsa' sanitizer and no face touching. Everything goes in through the airlock of the garage to get cleaned off/decontam before into the fridge/freezer/house proper. Mask when walking the dog in the hood.

Have ridden with other people (1or 2) only a couple times since all this started. Local groups still doing large group rides. Nopenopenope.

Wife and I already had it once - thankfully very mildly. No desire to test our luck again. I've seen what this shit can do, and do not want.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I kinda read it as he would like your input regarding his opinions about how my financée and I should live our lives moving forward now that she's worked one shift in a Covid unit. :rolleyes:

We got it because I got lax somewhere, somehow. Only advice I'd give to anyone is try not to do that!

I've several times now yelled at staff and docs wanting to rush into and pack up a coding patients room. We have very specific protocols (who, and how many in the room) now for that. Don't rush to save someone at the expense of your and other peoples health.

Which sounds terrible, but here we are.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Sorry for all the winning, I'm sure you're tired of it by now :(
It's been great. I'm just glad my little hospital has had a good response. Our ICU clinical educator and our head infectious disease doc way back are responsible for that. They convinced the management types that this shit was coming, that the feds were going to fuck things up, and we needed to get a plan together ASAP.

At the end of the day, it's what I chose to do as a profession/to earn a living. It's still hard and stressful, but I still want to be doing it.

I don't do extra shifts though. 1. we don't really need me to, money wise. 2. it's stressful enough doing my regular hours. I'm not devoted enough to burn my self out/get myself sick/screw with my mental health.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's been great. I'm just glad my little hospital has had a good response. Our ICU clinical educator and our head infectious disease doc way back are responsible for that. They convinced the management types that this shit was coming, that the feds were going to fuck things up, and we needed to get a plan together ASAP.

At the end of the day, it's what I chose to do as a profession/to earn a living. It's still hard and stressful, but I still want to be doing it.

I don't do extra shifts though. 1. we don't really need me to, money wise. 2. it's stressful enough doing my regular hours. I'm not devoted enough to burn my self out/get myself sick/screw with my mental health.
Hospital shift work is pretty fucked up. Aviation has come a long way in trying to manage that and it's not perfect, but the idea is safety-sensitive positions shouldn't be working for 24hrs straight. This doesn't seem to have trickled down to health care...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Which part?

My hospital did one round of testing, just after things peaked in the spring. Only on those in direct care of Covid patients. None since. They don't want to know. If we want a test otherwise, we are on our own.

Our numbers are rising overall, and the amount of very sick patients in the PCU/SDU and intubated in ICU are rising. Combined with a decent amount of staff out (either sick or quarantined) is making for very unsafe patient care/staffing ratios. Not as bad as some places, or where we were in spring, but I've no doubt we'll get there again. Then, we had cancelled all elective procedures and had the staff from those areas to help. Management has not done that this time. Yet.

Adequate PPE so far. Though they are only giving N95 if you are working with the Covid patients directly, or are in the ER. Many people who have their own, and use it rather than hospital supply. Every patient admitted gets a rapid swab, and if symptomatic they get a full rule out workup. I'm sure this is leading to some transmission due to some patients coming up false negative/being asymptomatic.

Work shoes stay there. I change into clean stuff and the worn scrubs go into a plastic bag before. Shower when home. Copious amounts of hand sanitizer used.

When going to the market, I'm wearing a N95. Not gloving, but again with lotsa' sanitizer and no face touching. Everything goes in through the airlock of the garage to get cleaned off/decontam before into the fridge/freezer/house proper. Mask when walking the dog in the hood.

Have ridden with other people (1or 2) only a couple times since all this started. Local groups still doing large group rides. Nopenopenope.

Wife and I already had it once - thankfully very mildly. No desire to test our luck again. I've seen what this shit can do, and do not want.
More about repeat testing and staying remote from society.

@Full Trucker if you start wearing N95 out and about, your going to have to shave like a proper person. You going to be able to handle that?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Hospital shift work is pretty fucked up. Aviation has come a long way in trying to manage that and it's not perfect, but the idea is safety-sensitive positions shouldn't be working for 24hrs straight. This doesn't seem to have trickled down to health care...
Exactly. I'm only doing 3 x 12. Pick up an extra 8 here and there, but rarely. Usually when saving for a new toy. Have seen enough people burn out, I've no desire to do it myself.

Intellectually, physically, and emotionally challenging. Would like to think I'm pretty good at it, and take excellent care of my patients. I very much enjoy my job. But that's it - my job - not my life or how I define myself.

Shit happens when people get too stressed/tired/overworked, we all know this.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
More about repeat testing and staying remote from society.

@Full Trucker if you start wearing N95 out and about, your going to have to shave like a proper person. You going to be able to handle that?
Gotcha. We're no different than so many others. Wife has been WFH for nine months. Getting a little stir crazy, but dealing. Repeat testing is good, IMO, especially as our testing gets better/faster.

Societal remoteness IMO could certainly be eased a bit with limited "opening things up" but that would require more public compliance with masks/washing/distance/size of groups/etc. We've already shown a significant portion of the population isn't adult enough to handle that. Dumb motherfuckers.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
he can just wear a PAPR instead

Oh hell no. :D

Oh and hey @stoney -- I know you mean well and you probably think you're helping, but you don't know the precautions we're taking over here and how we're planning on dealing with this. And to be honest, that's for us to figure out and I trust my financée and her knowledge far more than I trust a dazzling suburbanite who's not living our reality day to day. So, if you could ease up on dispensing the unsolicited advice, opinions, and assessment I'd appreciate it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Oh and hey @stoney -- I know you mean well and you probably think you're helping, but you don't know the precautions we're taking over here and how we're planning on dealing with this. And to be honest, that's for us to figure out and I trust my financée and her knowledge far more than I trust a dazzling suburbanite who's not living our reality day to day. So, if you could ease up on dispensing the unsolicited advice, opinions, and assessment I'd appreciate it.
I'm just concerned about you buddy

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

English translation: Send goulash. :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm just concerned about you buddy
I know dude, I do. A simple "Stay safe, brother" would go a lot further than what I saw as a lecture on how to live my life. And a couple of kind words of support is kinda what my sensitive snowflake ass personally "needs" anyways... You know I'm a social fucking butterfly, the not seeing my people is tough for me.

Long rant ahead, you've been warned.

To add to that above, just choosing to not be exposed or expose others is not a choice for her... and because of that it's less of a choice for me. But like scrubby said, she wouldn't trade the job out and I wouldn't ask her to. She does like it, mostly... though I think dealing with the morans of the world on the neuro unit she is normally on wears on her a bunch.

But here's the thing: we're not in the same position as Chad and Karen down in Centennial where we can choose to be shitheads and dicknose our masks at Costco... or be cool and wash our hands, wear a mask properly, just stay home and order curbside, and it's all good, etc. I can literally not leave the house for the next 6 months, and I'm still exposed because we (her and I) are exposed. And we also have the knowledge that we have definitely been exposed. Try that out in your brain for second... we fucking KNOW. You don't know, most people don't actually know they've been exposed or not. We don't have plausible deniability like the rest of the fucking world, we know. And so the "good person" in me wants to keep others safe, stay home, isolate, blah blah blah. You know, maybe not potentially kill my friends, or my dad, or whoever. But then there's fucking Chad & Karen from Centennial... like I said they're dicknosing their masks in Costco and/or screaming their little entitled little fucking fuckwit faces off about their freedumbs and shit and I'm like... "Why do I fucking care about these fucking assholes again? Why the FUCK shouldn't I go to Applejack if I damn well please to pick up a bottle of Everclear and drown my sorrows? I'll at least wear a fucking mask properly in the fucking grocery and here I am doing whatever to make sure Karen can ask for the manager when they're doing FUCK ALL to protect me?" And then I remember it's because I'm a fucking liberal fucking snowflake that actually cares about other people... sort of. Whatever.

For the record, we've already been discussing regular testing for ourselves and we started using delivery/curbside for shopping and it worked really well. We rarely go anywhere, and if we do visit friends it's a small group (like maybe one other couple) and it's always outside and it's always distanced. When she was exposed to a Covid positive patient on her normal unit we both went into pretty strict isolation (her going back to work the exception, thanks hospital :rolleyes:) until we got some negative results back from a test. Speaking of that, given the (pretty fast and loose) safety protocols that are in place on her normal unit, I'm honestly not sure the Covid unit is any more risk. Let me rephrase that: I'm pretty fucking sure that what with the better safety protocols and access to proper PPE on the Covid unit, pulling a shift there is no greater risk than her normal unit. But before I commit that decision to practice, I'll talk with her.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I know dude, I do. A simple "Stay safe, brother" would go a lot further than what I saw as a lecture on how to live my life. And a couple of kind words of support is kinda what my sensitive snowflake ass personally "needs" anyways... You know I'm a social fucking butterfly, the not seeing my people is tough for me.

Long rant ahead, you've been warned.

To add to that above, just choosing to not be exposed or expose others is not a choice for her... and because of that it's less of a choice for me. But like scrubby said, she wouldn't trade the job out and I wouldn't ask her to. She does like it, mostly... though I think dealing with the morans of the world on the neuro unit she is normally on wears on her a bunch.

But here's the thing: we're not in the same position as Chad and Karen down in Centennial where we can choose to be shitheads and dicknose our masks at Costco... or be cool and wash our hands, wear a mask properly, just stay home and order curbside, and it's all good, etc. I can literally not leave the house for the next 6 months, and I'm still exposed because we (her and I) are exposed. And we also have the knowledge that we have definitely been exposed. Try that out in your brain for second... we fucking KNOW. You don't know, most people don't actually know they've been exposed or not. We don't have plausible deniability like the rest of the fucking world, we know. And so the "good person" in me wants to keep others safe, stay home, isolate, blah blah blah. You know, maybe not potentially kill my friends, or my dad, or whoever. But then there's fucking Chad & Karen from Centennial... like I said they're dicknosing their masks in Costco and/or screaming their little entitled little fucking fuckwit faces off about their freedumbs and shit and I'm like... "Why do I fucking care about these fucking assholes again? Why the FUCK shouldn't I go to Applejack if I damn well please to pick up a bottle of Everclear and drown my sorrows? I'll at least wear a fucking mask properly in the fucking grocery and here I am doing whatever to make sure Karen can ask for the manager when they're doing FUCK ALL to protect me?" And then I remember it's because I'm a fucking liberal fucking snowflake that actually cares about other people... sort of. Whatever.

For the record, we've already been discussing regular testing for ourselves and we started using delivery/curbside for shopping and it worked really well. We rarely go anywhere, and if we do visit friends it's a small group (like maybe one other couple) and it's always outside and it's always distanced. When she was exposed to a Covid positive patient on her normal unit we both went into pretty strict isolation (her going back to work the exception, thanks hospital :rolleyes:) until we got some negative results back from a test. Speaking of that, given the (pretty fast and loose) safety protocols that are in place on her normal unit, I'm honestly not sure the Covid unit is any more risk. Let me rephrase that: I'm pretty fucking sure that what with the better safety protocols and access to proper PPE on the Covid unit, pulling a shift there is no greater risk than her normal unit. But before I commit that decision to practice, I'll talk with her.
Stay safe, brother! :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just drove a friend to the airport, with my hermet like lifestyle I was deemed the safest transportation method.. She has an ovarian cyst that needs to be removed. All the local hospitals have exceeded the capacity to which they will allow certain surgeries to be scheduled. Her cyst isn't bad enough for that, but if left too long she will have to have her ovary removed. She had a really bad cyst earlier in the year and they had to remove one ovary already. Her best chances here is well into next year.

She found a hospital in Cleveland that has the capacity to schedule her surgury, but if 100 more beds fill up by Tuesday she will have to fly home to Italy to get treatment.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just learned that one of my asshole neighbors who refuses to wear a mask was heard coughing loudly today and has been sick since Friday. Doesn't have enough sense to stay the Hell away or get tested.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which part?

I have always been a little freaked out when I see people wearing scrubs in public. Cool if it is on the way to work, a little worrisome if it is on the way home. But I also understand a lot of people wear them as an occupational uniform more so than a medical requirement.

Working in pharma you only wore scrubs in the required areas and it was grounds for immediate dismissal if you wore them outside of the required area unless there was something like an evacuation notification. Contamination was a two way street.