Quantcast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This seems... odd. :think:
Odd? I'm going to go with stupid. How much does a test cost?

My work place is being strict with this - if you've been in close contact with anyone that has symptoms or is positive, you aren't allowed to come to work.

And if you have symptoms, we have our own rapid testing trailers setup all across Ontario and agreements at CVS in the US. Free for us, encouraged to use and anyone living in the household of an employee here can also get tested - no questions.

Last edited:

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Devil is in the details: there are two types of pcr swabs molecular and antigen. The latter being the quick turn around and has a higher false negative rate, both have very low false positive rates.

TLDR: get a molecular pcr, if you are going to test false reassurance from a quick turnaround test strikes me as a fool's errand.

Hope you and your better half are healthy or quick to mend.

I agree...
I had a 15-minute turnaround test a few weeks back at my doctor's office that was PCR.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Devil is in the details: there are two types of pcr swabs molecular and antigen. The latter being the quick turn around and has a higher false negative rate, both have very low false positive rates.

TLDR: get a molecular pcr, if you are going to test false reassurance from a quick turnaround test strikes me as a fool's errand.

Thanks, glad to hear that I'm not crazy as @Toshi might think I am. We're both still just fine, no symptoms and doing alright. Appreciate the well wishes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
This seems... odd. :think:
I agree that it's odd they're not testing. But from what I gather hospitals are pretty much like, unless you are symptomatic just come to work and make sure you're masked up and wearing PPE as required by CDC guidelines. If they sent every nurse home who had contact with a Covid positive patient, they'd run out of staff in a hurry.

I had a 15-minute turnaround test a few weeks back at my doctor's office that was PCR.

What he said.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

For more info on Covid testing, please refer to this fairly unknown webpage before making things up on the internet:
"Antigen PCR" doesn't make sense. PCR amplifies DNA. Antigens are not DNA (or RNA that can be reverse transcribed to DNA).

15 minute test is probably isothermal RNA amplification, which someone probably explained incorrectly to FT as "PCR". Again, Abbott ID Now platform.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Thank you for the correction. I had read the below:

And I conflated diagnostic = pcr, my dumb brain was thinking they both are testing active viral load. I knew the antibody tests were not useful for testing active infection, and was trying to get my previous employer to not rely on any rapid tests.

Will go into the corner and wallow in my shame.

"Antigen PCR" doesn't make sense. PCR amplifies DNA. Antigens are not DNA (or RNA that can be reverse transcribed to DNA).

15 minute test is probably isothermal RNA amplification, which someone probably explained incorrectly to FT as "PCR". Again, Abbott ID Now platform.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Boo, just found out my old neighbor in CO was found unresponsive, rushed to the hospital, and is now on a ventilator. Fearing she's got the Covid, which, given her lifelong smoking habit and advanced years, does not bode well. :(

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Day 7, other than a bit of an intermittent cough I have no symptoms. No loss of smell or taste, no fever, no aches/pains that can't be attributed to being l'ancien, no shortness of breath and I've been riding outside or on the trainer a fair bit this week with no perceived issues. Started taking some vitamin D and zinc + a multi-vitamin as a precaution... and because I am l'ancien and vitamins are probably smart. Thanks to the "encouragement" of you guys and @stoney sending me a link to some testing sites, I went to a drive-through place this morning and got my nasals reamed out. Results in 48-hours they say.

Stay safe out there, bitches.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Youngest just informed us that one of his schoolmates has just tested positive. Results came back on Thursday am, was tested on Tuesday pm. His last interaction with him was last Friday. Called in this morning and the earliest we can get a test is the 15th. Back of the line because voluntary and not ordered by public health, so appointment made.

Now for the strange part, there are 3 active workers in the house, one in healthcare, in a old age home, one in a scrapyard, and my wife who is the purchasing agent for the local hospital. All called in this morning, and guess what? The only one to be told to stay home is the one working alone driving heavy equipment in the scrapyard. :doh::wtf:

At this point everybody is feeling fine and symptom free. :twitch:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
One of my cousin’s kids has been exposed and she has no intention of getting him tested or staying away from other family members. Fortunately that part of my extended family is sufficiently far enough away.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Youngest just informed us that one of his schoolmates has just tested positive. Results came back on Thursday am, was tested on Tuesday pm. His last interaction with him was last Friday. Called in this morning and the earliest we can get a test is the 15th. Back of the line because voluntary and not ordered by public health, so appointment made.

Now for the strange part, there are 3 active workers in the house, one in healthcare, in a old age home, one in a scrapyard, and my wife who is the purchasing agent for the local hospital. All called in this morning, and guess what? The only one to be told to stay home is the one working alone driving heavy equipment in the scrapyard. :doh::wtf:

At this point everybody is feeling fine and symptom free. :twitch:
I feel ya, dude. Glad to hear you're all feeling fine so far. Stay safe, stay sane.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Even though I am from Penciana, I only have two people in all of my family that are Trump supporters. My uncle on my Ma's side, and his wife. And WOAH-DANG is she a Trump supporter. That asshole, is her dude. She's all over the whole owning of the libs and "You're just mad because your guy lost" back in 2016, and thinks the lefties are evil and destroying the country, and all that fucking nonsense. Full fucking MAGA. But here's the thing that blows my brain right out of my mind: which is that of the whole entire damn family, she is also the person that is most vehement about social distancing, wearing a mask, and keeping everyone back in the homeland safe by adhering to strict protocols. Not that the rest of the family isn't taking precautions, but she is the most stringent about it. I know it's pretty easy to write off all Trumpers as being anti-mask and "muh freedums" and anti-vax and all that, but she is an outlier.

[/coolstorybro]

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just had a substantial argument with someone at Costco wearing his mask on his chin.

Excerpt and condensed-

Me (nicely): Hey dude, can you fix your mask?
Asshole: You just worry about you.
Me (no longer nicely): I am. My mask helps protect selfish cunts like you who don't wear masks. You not wearing mask puts me at risk.
Asshole: You don't know shit.
Me: Actually basic reading and listening to news makes it pretty easy to understand this concept.
Asshole: Fuck you!
Me: Did you cut the tips off your condoms when you were younger? Because your mask is just as useful as that.
Asshole: Hey! Fuck you man!
Me: Nah. You probably wouldn't tell me if you had an STD anyways.
Asshole: [blank face]

So, apparently calling someone a 'selfish cunt for not wear their mask in a way that helps protects others' is offending. This is me not giving a shit. Thankfully I had a job for almost 10 years where the need to be able to have witty responses available on the fly was high.

Went to the manager and told them there have been at least 5 employees not saying anything about someone walking around like that and that I will be reaching out to corporate to reference that their store isn't doing anything to follow corporate policy. He jumped his ass into action and started heading to the back of the store while on the radio. Hopefully it got shit resolved.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just had a substantial argument with someone at Costco wearing his mask on his chin.

Excerpt and condensed-

Me (nicely): Hey dude, can you fix your mask?
Asshole: You just worry about you.
Me (no longer nicely): I am. My mask helps protect selfish cunts like you who don't wear masks. You not wearing mask puts me at risk.
Asshole: You don't know shit.
Me: Actually basic reading and listening to news makes it pretty easy to understand this concept.
Asshole: Fuck you!
Me: Did you cut the tips off your condoms when you were younger? Because your mask is just as useful as that.
Asshole: Hey! Fuck you man!
Me: Nah. You probably wouldn't tell me if you had an STD anyways.
Asshole: [blank face]

So, apparently calling someone a 'selfish cunt for not wear their mask in a way that helps protects others' is offending. This is me not giving a shit. Thankfully I had a job for almost 10 years where the need to be able to have witty responses available on the fly was high.

Went to the manager and told them there have been at least 5 employees not saying anything about someone walking around like that and that I will be reaching out to corporate to reference that their store isn't doing anything to follow corporate policy. He jumped his ass into action and started heading to the back of the store while on the radio. Hopefully it got shit resolved.
and on the flipside.....about a week ago as i was nearing the sams club entrance fishing my mask out of my pocket about 20 yards from the door...some asshole yells out...put a fucking mask on....

pulled out mask.....waved it at him like a southern belle with a hanky and said thanks sweet cheeks snd blew the cunt a kiss....

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
and on the flipside.....about a week ago as i was nearing the sams club entrance fishing my mask out of my pocket about 20 yards from the door...some asshole yells out...put a fucking mask on....

pulled out mask.....waved it at him like a southern belle with a hanky and said thanks sweet cheeks snd blew the cunt a kiss....
Walking while in your pockets is one thing. In the store disregarding company policy and state mandate just makes you a fucking cunt.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Walking while in your pockets is one thing. In the store disregarding company policy and state mandate just makes you a fucking cunt.
the older i get....the less energy i have....

i'll avoid a asshole in a store not wearing a mask before i make a stink in a business to the manager and give him a hard time....who wants to see a fight between security and some knuckle dragger...have shit turn into a rugby scrum in aisle 5...pass...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Calling somebody a cunt at Costco < Getting a gun pulled on you in a brawl and having the local Sherriff called for an active shooter at the mall

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Calling somebody a cunt at Costco < Getting a gun pulled on you in a brawl and having the local Sherriff called for an active shooter at the mall

i did not call anyone a cunt....i just blew him a kiss.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Was an off-duty cop that pulled. Otherwise just a brawl. :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Can someone PLEASE photoshop Stoney with a Karen haircut? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZ?? I'll even put in the "I want to speak to the manager" text on the photo. :D

For the record: I approve of what you did.
while I approve the concept, it doesn't work because it misses the point.

Karen is the cunt without the mask who thinks of no one but herself. This is why rabid right wingers tend to never be funny. The backstory is needed for the joke to work.