Quantcast

Cool digging photo

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I was looking through some pics from last year and I thought you guys might like to see a couple.

I have started digging here and there because it is super hot and the avalanches are in full force so the snowboarding season is coming to a close. Here is a photo my brother Will Walker took last fall when we were building a new trail down to the start of the Champery track. It's pretty steep spot but we built some tall berms.

Here is one of the berms above where we were with the machine in the photo above. This one spits you in to the woods pretty quick and the cow is not normally there.

I went riding and digging here for two days last week. I got a lot of work to do since all the snow melted.

Anyways, I am stoked to be back on the bike and I thought I would share a bit.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I jumped from the bump right behind the one my front wheel is touching. You can carry good speed and double up some of the bumps.

This is the 180° berm after the bump in the foreground of that last pic.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
duh i get it... it's a pump track.

the camera optics made me think the rider was midway between two large jumps, rather than right on top of a pump track roller. :)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Duh, that's where he gets all his epic riding and digging skills from.

Just kiddin, love all the pics you post dude! Keep 'em comin.
Haha yeah, the stache is just for fun. We joke about it saying that the digger drivers respect me more and listen better when I have a huge mustache.

Here is a sneak peak photo of the Champery WC track. This is a very inside line gaping over the trail to a hard left. The entry is the hardest part about this line but if you make it you are lined up for 7 big jumps down to the finish line.

check how steep it is in that section

Walking diggers are sick!

I will dig through my pics from last fall and try and post some more track shots.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
What do you mean the snowboard season has come to an end?? Sure the cliffs and steeps are off, but it's shaping season now! The snow shapes up perfectly!
We're over in Fornet again today (beside the Choucas) on the step up. I'll give you a call. We've got loads of sites planned for the next few weeks...

Nice pics BTW...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What do you mean the snowboard season has come to an end?? Sure the cliffs and steeps are off, but it's shaping season now! The snow shapes up perfectly!
We're over in Fornet again today (beside the Choucas) on the step up. I'll give you a call. We've got loads of sites planned for the next few weeks...

Nice pics BTW...
Yeah, you're right but I am more of a freerider than a freestyler. I like the freestyle stuff but I'm kinda ready to get back on the bike. Maybe we will get some more snow with this storm but it is raining up to 2000m for now.

April, for me, is snowboard in the morning and when the snow gets sticky downhilling in the afternoon. Bex and Dorenaz are running sweet right now if you want to come riding one of these days.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Hey, do you have any more pics of the track progress? looks amazing!
I have a question. For those staying in morzine etc at the time, is there going to be any way of being allowed to ride over to champery to watch the wc, and dump our bikes on the side of the track or something? or is it foot only access and would we have to get a lift over there?
cheers

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey, do you have any more pics of the track progress? looks amazing!
I have a question. For those staying in morzine etc at the time, is there going to be any way of being allowed to ride over to champery to watch the wc, and dump our bikes on the side of the track or something? or is it foot only access and would we have to get a lift over there?
cheers
The resort is open and there are other trails so you can ride down to the start to watch there a bit then take another trail to the next road and then traverse back over to the track to watch from the middle.

I am sure you could lock them up somewhere or just keep them with you. It is super steep off the track so watching and making your way down the track with your bike is very challenging in certain sections. I think locking the bike up at the bottom and then doing a lap on foot to watch would be the way to go if you want to ride over.

To get back to Morzine before the lifts close means you have to leave kind of early so driving would be the best if you want to watch a lot.

Here are a couple more pics

This is the corner where Hill fell in his race run. There is now a small catch berm at the very bottom behind the digger.

This is a new outside line on the top of the track. There is still the crazy inside line if you want the shorter route but this one is easier in the wet.

The track has lots of loose dirt on it right now because we didn't want the machine to hurt any of the roots. They will come out in full force in no time at all.

Steeper than it looks.

End of the day

This is on a new line I built coming from the top of the tram down to the start of the WC track. It has loads of berms that you can rail.

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
What's the official line on riding the WC track before the race? I would be keen to get a few laps in each week leading up to the race just not sure if it would get me/you/Champéry in bother or have anyone else get there knickers in a knot!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What's the official line on riding the WC track before the race? I would be keen to get a few laps in each week leading up to the race just not sure if it would get me/you/Champéry in bother or have anyone else get there knickers in a knot!
I am the race director for the downhill and I would say yeah, come ride it with us. I'll have to double check with the organizer but for me it is ok. I will be digging/riding on it in the spring to get it ready after the snow so you can check in closer to the event if you want. Even when I am working on the trail I don't mind people riding it. Just be careful with the diggers.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
man, id love to move out there and build all day
Yeah, I love it. I am trying to convince the local government to let me build some permanent dirt jumps in the forest next to the finish line of the WC track. They are interested. Would be cool to get some lines running before the race then people can session the jumps before/after watching the race.

Are you going to come back this summer? You should come ride the Swiss side with us if you do.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are you going to come back this summer? You should come ride the Swiss side with us if you do.
man i would love to, but i think Whistler is going to be our trip this year. i wish we woulda went after the Passport, but we all still had a blast riding the week before when no one was there.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah, I love it. I am trying to convince the local government to let me build some permanent dirt jumps in the forest next to the finish line of the WC track. They are interested. Would be cool to get some lines running before the race then people can session the jumps before/after watching the race.

Sweet, I'll try get in touch soon, I'm back in the Alps in a few weeks, so hopefully get some runs in with you. You can show me the all the hotlines, might give me half a chance at the WC! Really looking forward to some pre-season Bex and Dorenaz action.

How's the snow on Grand Paradis? When I was there skiing in January you could pretty much ride the WC track then haha! Are you guys shuttling now or is Plancheaux telepherique open?

Anyway have a blast with the digging, see you in April/May!

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Im desperately trying to get out to morzine this summer, have some friends living out there, but if i do, ill have to come ride swiss side!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Sweet, I'll try get in touch soon, I'm back in the Alps in a few weeks, so hopefully get some runs in with you. You can show me the all the hotlines, might give me half a chance at the WC! Really looking forward to some pre-season Bex and Dorenaz action.

How's the snow on Grand Paradis? When I was there skiing in January you could pretty much ride the WC track then haha! Are you guys shuttling now or is Plancheaux telepherique open?

Anyway have a blast with the digging, see you in April/May!
Ever since I mentioned the winter coming to a close it has been snowing all the time. Champery is totally white and it keeps coming. The biking has been put on hold and it is back to the powder.

Sounds good. Come on over.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dear buckoW:

Wanted - Place for family of 4 to pick up and leave the rate race behind. Desire lodging and plenty of lift accessed riding for a stressed out dad and two dirt thrashing little girls. Mom needs trails to run and "zumba" classes at the gym. Job possibilities not neccesary.

Yours truly...butch

Gregor

Monkey
Oct 8, 2006
Lake Louise, AB
looks good ben. Snowboard season is coming to an end in canada as well. I know why you want to get back on the bike me too. I ll be in PDS with some friends the first two weeks in july and then i am gonna move to leysin in september. Looking forward for some riding in June. We will check out the new stuff in champery and you have to show me some good stuff in morgins. We re also going to ride bex, because i liked it so much;)

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
Once again your pics have given me such an urge to get out and ride. I'm going to be in Morzine for a month in mid june, unfortunately we leave the weekend before the WC but hopefully I may get a sneaky run down that???

What other treats will you have in store for me in the PDS? As I say 1 month based out of Morzine with a car, an AM and a DH bike, I cant wait till June to get to ride some of your masterpieces.

Brock

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks guys! Everyone come over here and ride with us and if I am working on the trails I can hook you guys up with friends and point you in the right direction. I have a bunch of planning meetings coming up with a couple resorts in the PDS so I will try and let you know what/where is going to see some digger love.

Thanks for the photoshop John Kranked. Looks so cool like that.

Butch, could be a good "education" for the girls. Language skills would be a great asset, no?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Damn that's awesome. You got my stoke on. Good thing I'm riding tomorrow. 4200' vertical shuttle. :monkeydance:

That dirt looks tacky. I miss that. Sand gets old. Can I go back to the east coast now?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It keeps snowing up high and there is more on the way. The bottom of the valley is dry so I went for some runs on the dh bike today. There is a train that you can shuttle with a bunch of different trails. It was good fun.

Yesterday, my brother took some shots of me snowboarding. Here is a pretty cool one, I think.

The pow was good!

WillCollins

Chimp
Jun 7, 2009
It keeps snowing up high and there is more on the way. The bottom of the valley is dry so I went for some runs on the dh bike today. There is a train that you can shuttle with a bunch of different trails. It was good fun.

Yesterday, my brother took some shots of me snowboarding. Here is a pretty cool one, I think.

The pow was good!
You're an inspiration... I've heard a fair bit about you while living here in Durango, to the point where you're almost a poster child for many of us here as racers... (bikes first and school second here at Fort Lewis... priorities :p )

I may be attending the Champrey WC; it would be great to pick your brain and maybe get a bit of insight on how you managed to essentially live the dream... It would be good to figure out how to avoid a cubicle a couple years down the road...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
You're an inspiration... I've heard a fair bit about you while living here in Durango, to the point where you're almost a poster child for many of us here as racers... (bikes first and school second here at Fort Lewis... priorities :p )

I may be attending the Champrey WC; it would be great to pick your brain and maybe get a bit of insight on how you managed to essentially live the dream... It would be good to figure out how to avoid a cubicle a couple years down the road...

Wow, thanks man! Yeah come on over. How long are you going to stay for? If you stay a little bit after the race I will have a lot more time but before and during the race I will be working a lot.

I got a degree in finance from Fort Lewis with a non desk job as my goal. I can fill you in on the rest when you are here.

Here is another photo my bro took from two days ago

My brother is still in snowboarding mode and I gotta get him to come downhilling with me in the bottom of the valley. The trails are running great but when I ride alone I can't take any pics.