Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Verskis, so as far as I can tell, you haven't posted up a follow-up review of this tire yet... what's the verdict?
They are very predictable on the edge, I can recall only one front tire washout when running these, whereas with for example a Continental Der Baron I had multiple wipeouts because when they let go, they do it pretty suddenly. The ultimate grip in dry conditions is very good. In the wet they are pretty good, but not as amazing on wet rocks and roots as the Der Baron which is much softer rubber compound.
I haven't noticed them rolling any slower than other DH tires. The sidewalls are pretty tough, but I have had a bit more pinch flat punctures than with Maxxis tires.
Overall I rate them very highly, but this season I'm going to try the Schwalbe Magic Mary as a front tire, just out of curiosity.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Who's ridden an exo shorty on their trail bike??
I am running the Shorty 2.3 3C combo on a spare wheelset and they are not bad at all on hard pack and rock, predictable without being too squirmy. Definitely slower rolling than the DHF 2.5 3C/ DHR 2.3 Dual Compound combo. I only use the Shorty's if its loose. I would probably be pleased with the Shorty/ DHR 2.3 combo for climbing roads and descending loose trails, but have yet to encounter those circumstances. FYI the Shorty 3C isn't as soft and tacky as the DHF/DHR 3C.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Answer a quiz and be ignored!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/become-a-michelin-tire-tester-at-sea-otter-classic.html

I think the problem is that they seek cycling. They should seek mountain biking.
They do in the only tire that matters, the wildrock'r 2.
How about GripR. I think it is well suited for UK loamy stuffs. For South France, Wildrockr2 is no brainer. Compared to Muddy Mary, Rockr2 inner knobs look quite wide, leaving little space between knobs around rim (not at sides). Muddy Mary appears more all-round and works on larger variety of conditions.

I understand that lack of space between inner and outer knobs (like on a GripR2) may be a concern for you.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That Vittoria looks intriguing. I've run a set of Geax DHEA's before, and those did not suck. The casing was pretty tough and of reasonable heft.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just squishy.

It's a good kind of squishy for dh in that it still rolls pretty fast and the knobs aren't butter. I still wouldn't want it on the back of a trail bike though.

All those center knobs clip easily however for enshortening. Hopefully they just make two of these trail versions.

There's also that semislick thing they made in a dh casing. That would make a sweet rear trail tire.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Michelin Wild Rockr 2 is my new favorite trail bike front tire. It's a little heavy, but the casing is burly, and the side knobs are like nothing else.

dtm1

Monkey
Apr 11, 2015
The Michelin Wild Rockr 2 is my new favorite trail bike front tire. It's a little heavy, but the casing is burly, and the side knobs are like nothing else.
Those are next on my list...

After the last 2 mo's on Magic Marys, I rode the dhr2's for the first time today (late to the party I know)... man what a let down. They just made the MM shine even brighter in every catagory except rolling resistance, even braking was better on the MM. Cornering - no comparison.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Currently on MagicMary, front and back, loving them but I seem to undercut the rear side knobs. Not as bad as the older MuddyMary, but still. Think I will try the Wild Rock'r2 next as well.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
So my set of Minios is done on the dh bike. What tire should I get mainly foro the alps hardpack stuff but also loose dh trails. I have dhr 2 on the enduro and it basically just feels like a minion with more braking power. Not sure about the MAgic MAry. I also heard that they are not as good as the dhr2 but then shouldn't they be compared against the shorty? Does the Supergravity casing work for normal sized riders?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Running SG MM's on the big bike.
No issues so far, support is great, as is trail feel.

On a Knolly Podium, DT 600 rims, rider weight 215lbs
Front 25/26 lbs Rear 27/28 tubed.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
DHR 2 front and rear. Best tire I have ridden.:thumb: I did even the Woo-cut™ on my front tire. Extremely grippy I tell you.
Or if you can get your hands on Bontrager G5s, go with them. They seem to be even bettererer, whitout cutting.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
DHR 2 front and rear. Best tire I have ridden.:thumb: I did even the Woo-cut™ on my front tire. Extremely grippy I tell you.
Or if you can get your hands on Bontrager G5s, go with them. They seem to be even bettererer, whitout cutting.
Is the G5 really that good? Somehow it looks like a heavy as fuck version of the DHR2/High Roller... and I don't see anyone raving about it except here...

I'm tempted to try a slightly lighter tire. I was ok with the Onza dhc-casing which is about as light as the Schwalbe SG. I could try the EXO DHR from my Enduro but I doubt it will work on the rear. Front maybe.. Exo is about 130g lighter than SG

Or is the G5 good because it's so heavy? I noticed that with really light casing like specialized Control which creates a decent width that you loose cornering control compared to heavier casings so I dunno if this also is the case (lel) for enduro vs. dh casings...

With maxxis 2ply and Schwalbe SV13 I can get away with multiple cases and dents in the rim without having a puncture...

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Is the G5 really that good? Somehow it looks like a heavy as fuck version of the DHR2/High Roller... and I don't see anyone raving about it except here...

Or is the G5 good because it's so heavy? I noticed that with really light casing like specialized Control which creates a decent width that you loose cornering control compared to heavier casings so I dunno if this also is the case (lel) for enduro vs. dh casings...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-Awards-The-Nominees-2013.html
• Bontrager G5 tire
Ask any downhiller to list his favourite tire and you'll most likely end up hearing all about Schwalbe or Maxxis, the two most prominent brands that have all but dominated the World Cup circuit for many years now. There is one tire, however, that we believe not only equals anything from those two brands, but actually outperforms them when it comes to consistency in varying conditions: Bontrager's new G5 downhill tire. The new rubber, which was designed by renowned tire designer Frank Stacy, might fly a bit under the radar compared to more familiar options, but it already has some major victories to its name. Factor in that it is less expensive than the competition and it's hard to ignore the G5. Unfortunately, many riders are a bit too set in their ways to consider something new from Bontrager, which is a shame because the G5 is the best downhill tire currently available.

SE5, pretty much the same thing but for enduro and 27.5 madness
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/bontrager-se5-team-issue-tire-review-2015.html
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Bontrager-G5-Tire-First-Look-2012.html

just buy one and fucking try it, dont like it take it back in 30days no questions asked.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
yeah sounds good I just can get magic maries a little cheaper over here but maybe I'll buy both...

But do you prefer them in 2,35 or 2,5 width? I have a 25mm inner width SupraD rim and so far are running the old Maxxis 2,5 2ply casing or Schwalbe 2,35. I think the new Maxxis 2,4 is something like Schwalbe 2,35...

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
yeah sounds good I just can get magic maries a little cheaper over here but maybe I'll buy both...

But do you prefer them in 2,35 or 2,5 width? I have a 25mm inner width SupraD rim and so far are running the old Maxxis 2,5 2ply casing or Schwalbe 2,35. I think the new Maxxis 2,4 is something like Schwalbe 2,35...
i think i had the 2.35's when i ran unrideable sized wheels. they measure pretty true.
pretty sure i have a set of the 2.5's in 27.5.
2.3's in the SE5.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
so how wide are they compared to 2,5 maxxis or 2.25 schwalbe? 2,5 Schwalbe is usually way wider than 2,5 Maxxis more like 2,5 specialized...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What about the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 Advanced?
Probably try these next, although a buddy gets G5's for a great price....decisions, decisions....

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
so how wide are they compared to 2,5 maxxis or 2.25 schwalbe? 2,5 Schwalbe is usually way wider than 2,5 Maxxis more like 2,5 specialized...
I just swapped a dhf for a g5, both 2.5. The dhf measured 60mm at the tread, the g5 62mm. This was a well used dhf vs a new g5 on a 25mm rim.