Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm just disappointed they aren't making the Minion SS in 26". I'm not really keen on the Hatchet, but I supposed I'll reserve judgement until a trustworthy review pops up... Still bummed the Slaughter ain't available in 26".

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why are you guys whinging about the lack of 26"?
It would be different if there was an already installed base that is years deep.

Get with the program, 26" is just a fad, no need to make new tires for the few antisocial oddballs who insist on using this goofy size.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not that there's a shortage of current Maxxis offerings in 26" with the HR2, DHF, DHR2, Shorty, HR, Sceam etc..but I wonder if all new models moving forward will be 650 or 29 only?

(and no, fucking fat bike tires don't count)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
despite that aggressor tire not quite knowing which direction it should be pointed in, i'd hit it, just for a minute, just to see how it feels.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
despite that aggressor tire not quite knowing which direction it should be pointed in...
I can't figure that out either. I think I know which direction they want it to be, but I'd have to see the sidewall markings to be sure.

What's really frustrating me right now is that the Specialized dealer page is now showing part numbers and prices for 26" Slaughters but absolutely no indication of when/if they'll be available. Why must they tease us so?!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I can't figure that out either. I think I know which direction they want it to be, but I'd have to see the sidewall markings to be sure.
They're all rolling towards you. I really dig that point formed by the AD knobs because learning lessons from the high roller apparently just isn't happening. And when I think aggressive braking and cornering, I think Allison dunlap.

I'm equally impressed by the sheer variety of knobs. I mean take your pick! It's like 1/8 of a circumference before they even repeat. My goodness. It's amazing what one comes up with when they don't really have a good handle on what they're trying to accomplish.

they tease us

Stupid them. Always teasing us.

Last edited:

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Maxxis redesigned the Crossmark . The CM2 is 2.25 and the Race TT is 2.0, could be a good combo for your local IMBA trail. Looks like they adopted the Aztec pyramid inspired knobs from the Tomahawk for the CM2 and corrected the side knob sipes on the TT. No 26" because it's already oversaturated with tires that work.
maxxis-Crossmark-II-mountain-bike-tires02-600x399.jpg
maxxis-race-TT-mountain-bike-tires01-600x399.jpg

Last edited:

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
That center strip actually looks pretty rad.
Looks like it would add some climbing traction. I don't get why they didn't move the intermediate knobs closer to the center to give the tire better braking and cornering bite. And speaking of mud holding pimples... why did they put those useless zits between the every other side knob? They would be more useful on the sidewall ala Dirty Dan or the new Bontrager Leov had on the rear at the NZ EWS.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Without having to skim through this whole thread, does anyone have any input on the Bontrager G5's? I'm in the northeast, so sometimes dry, sometimes wet, lots of rox and rootz.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Great info. Sounds like a great all around DH tire. And they're relatively inexpensive. I'm sold. Thanks.
Those things are the shit man. Seriously.

MTG here has been the only one I've heard with a complaint......that they have a slidey zone between upright and committed leans. I could kind of relate to that with the 2.5s but not the 2.3s. Those are what I've been using the last year.

I guess they're kinda heavy.......... I still have yet to get a flat with one though.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Those things are the shit man. Seriously.

MTG here has been the only one I've heard with a complaint......that they have a slidey zone between upright and committed leans. I could kind of relate to that with the 2.5s but not the 2.3s. Those are what I've been using the last year.

I guess they're kinda heavy.......... I still have yet to get a flat with one though.
I wouldn't say I have a real complaint on the G5, I just noticed a couple weird moments where it unexpectedly slid, and then regained traction while cornering. I think @HAB had noticed the same thing as well. My theory was that they were designed with a different rim width in mind than what I was using.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I noticed that too. There were a couple times when I was leaning into a corner where it would slide a tiny bit mid lean. It always caught itself really quickly once I got over onto the side knobs but it felt sort of weird.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys must be the intermediate knob market (that sounds way more demeaning than it should but I'm going with it) :D

I do admit that I probably don't notice things like that after having lived in shit dirt for the last 15 years. If there's a turn here, there's a sliding component to it. It's the holding after part that sticks out in my mind with most tires.

I wonder if that G5 looking thing that was on some trek bikes was a revision. It looks like the center knob things got wider.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You guys must be the intermediate knob market (that sounds way more demeaning than it should but I'm going with it) :D
:

I do admit that I probably don't notice things like that after having lived in shit dirt for the last 15 years. If there's a turn here, there's a sliding component to it. It's the holding after part that sticks out in my mind with most tires.
Yeah, I still like the G5 a lot. I just think it does tend to slide a hair more than say a DHF before it catches. Which is fine, it just surprised me a little when I first started riding one.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Who's ridden an exo shorty on their trail bike?? I've got some dry, loose, sandy stuff I'd like to try one on but I'm not sure how bad it's going to suck on the harder stuff...also some fixed rocks which maybe the taller knobs will be squirmy on?? Don't like having to swap tires before they are worn so I'll run something that I can use everywhere usually...keep in mind I do have to pedal for hours as well

And I still can't believe maxxis hasn't announced 27.5 exo minions in something bigger than a 2.3
Id take that crossmark tt in 2.3 exo and a hard compound though...lusting after the fresh 26" larsen tt's I have sitting in my garage

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yesterday I got the Continental Kaiser Projekt 2.4" (they have dropped the Rammstein from the name for some reason) tires and while I can't give riding impressions yet, I noticed the sideknobs are really well supported, and the rubber compound seems somewhat stiffer (but still sticky and slow rebound feeling with the fingers) than in the Continental Der Baron tires or Maxxis Supertacky compound.
I would expect these sideknobs not to fold over in corners. Even the center tread angles do not seem that bad, definitely way better than Highroller, even if it could be smarter still. Can't wait to test these.
Verskis, so as far as I can tell, you haven't posted up a follow-up review of this tire yet... what's the verdict?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Verskis, so as far as I can tell, you haven't posted up a follow-up review of this tire yet... what's the verdict?
I ran the tires Verskis describes in Whistler last year. I found them to be offer good grip on roots, rocks etc, even when damp, suggesting a good rubber compound. At the same time I found them to remain useable over long periods as the knobs are pretty well supported. It's a pretty open tread design, so they cleared mud pretty well.

They're not massive in profile, so bear this mind if you like a tyre with a large footprint for grip on loose over hard surfaces. They also roll pretty terribly, but I don;t care too much about that in a DH tyre.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Who's ridden an exo shorty on their trail bike?? I've got some dry, loose, sandy stuff I'd like to try one on but I'm not sure how bad it's going to suck on the harder stuff...also some fixed rocks which maybe the taller knobs will be squirmy on?? Don't like having to swap tires before they are worn so I'll run something that I can use everywhere usually...keep in mind I do have to pedal for hours as well.
I put a couple of months on a pair - they just came off to make way for some faster spring/summer rubber. They don't squirm a lot, the knobs are short enough and large enough that they grip pretty good on rock. Certainly a ton better than a full spike. They aren't horrible as far as rolling, but you'll notice more resistance than something like a HRII. Overall a really fun tire if you've got some soil for them to dig into.