Quantcast

Brembro Brakes? (this summer)

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
nobody knows really. All i know is that distro will be by Marzocchi and the rotors are a copy of the new hopes, only with a slightly different anodising on the carrier.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...bitchin'.

I wanna get the Formula 1 set with the 6-piston 7075 aluminum calipers and ceramic rotors...

$10,000 per wheel - price includes your own Brembo Mechanic.

...this is silly - Brembo making MTB disc brakes? Saw the protos from Interbike 04'...

That's like McLaren making an all carbon hard tail for DJ.

WAIT a sec...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Allot of the system's out there really are not that great for the price they come at. Id say brakes need to be at least 40% more powerfull.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
S.K.C. said:
...bitchin'.

I wanna get the Formula 1 set with the 6-piston 7075 aluminum calipers and ceramic rotors...

$10,000 per wheel - price includes your own Brembo Mechanic.

...this is silly - Brembo making MTB disc brakes? Saw the protos from Interbike 04'...

That's like McLaren making an all carbon hard tail for DJ.

WAIT a sec...
Yeah... and that's a good thing.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dhtahoe said:
And anyone who knows Brembo will wait. Because their brakes are the s*it
Yeah, Brembo makes some seriously great braking systems. While I probably won't be able to afford them I am very interested to see what they come up with.

Mozo

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
They did a test in a german mtb mag and it showed that the brembo brakes were less powerful than magura gustavs but only by a very close margin, and they weigh about the same (heavy). Apparently they will retail for 1000 euros here in Europe.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
klunky said:
Jeeez its only a brake. How can it be better than my shimano system?
Because it has Brembo writen on it. Just like BMW, great car and all but you're mostly paying for the badge.

sn0wboarder said:
Because it has Brembo writen on it. Just like BMW, great car and all but you're mostly paying for the badge.
My ///M badge begs to differ... :p

but i'll grant you BMW made some crappy mountain bikes...

I wonder what Brembo can offer that's so much better than those companies who have been designing bike brakes for years?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Mozo said:
They did a test in a german mtb mag and it showed that the brembo brakes were less powerful than magura gustavs but only by a very close margin, and they weigh about the same (heavy). Apparently they will retail for 1000 euros here in Europe.
The original Brembo prototypes were TOO powerful, they apparently had problems with repeatedly snapping fork lowers!

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Disc brakes are advanced enough now. Low maintenance and powerfull and light and cheap. Unless brembo can add something else to that I cant see them being better than anyone else

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
With a name like Brembo, they can pretty much command any price and there'll be some fool out there to jump on that scene. It doens't even need to perform any better than say a set of old Hayes Comps (I'm still using BTW) but the guy, who will buy the latest and greatest just so he could have the lastest/greatest, will claim it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Snapping off fork lowers? Musta been Rock Shox or some other stupid-light race fork.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
klunky said:
Disc brakes are advanced enough now. Low maintenance and powerfull and light and cheap. Unless brembo can add something else to that I cant see them being better than anyone else
Well they certainly can't offer cheap :D

Power is only one element you need in brakes. Them being slightly weaker than Gustav's is a good thing. I'm disappointed to hear they are so heavy.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
thaflyinfatman said:
The original Brembo prototypes were TOO powerful, they apparently had problems with repeatedly snapping fork lowers!

Is this a joke or do you really know what you're talking about? I'd say a brake that powerfull would make the front wheel skid or send the rider OTB before breaking the fork.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Kornphlake said:
Is this a joke or do you really know what you're talking about? I'd say a brake that powerfull would make the front wheel skid or send the rider OTB before breaking the fork.
:stupid: Maybe snap a brake mount, but thats still far fetched.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I highly doubt forks were snapping from a front brake...the wheel would skid out or throw the rider over before anything like that happened. Perhaps they snapped off a few mounting holes from deflection in the caliper if the brakes are as strong as claimed. Brembo has always made high quality brakes, but they aren't the only ones doing it and many other companies have compareable products and some better for the same cost. With the same components (steel rotor and contraints of lever size) I don't see them having a superior product compared to the new brakes on the market. Unless they come out with carbon rotors and an ultralight and powerful brake there is no need to spend the money they are asking.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
actually i heard they are so powerfull that they warp the space-time continuum causing a time-rift. So they dont actually physically slow you down quicker, they actually accelerate time instead.....

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
they couldn't snap fork lowers... tires simply don't have the grip to allow the brake to fully lock up and snap the lowers. What else can they bring the market that is innovative and worth $1000?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Kornphlake said:
Marz wouldn't allow 8" rotors on standard QR wheels because of the failure possibility, maybe there is some validity. Ever see a dorado under full panic stop? :eek:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
W4S said:
Marz wouldn't allow 8" rotors on standard QR wheels because of the failure possibility, maybe there is some validity. Ever see a dorado under full panic stop? :eek:
actually it was about the wheel slipping out (the caliper position puts a downward force on the axle).

This is how these dumb rumors start....

Pinkbike seems so much more reasonable these days :help:

Biker Grove

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Who cares about Brembo, really? Most Italian engineering is good for performance/speed but the actual quality/reliability of their products is poor, bar Marzocchi. (which is weird) Brembo, not unlike mountain bike products are very over-hyped. Brembo actually make some pretty average and some tacky stuff. Check out an AP Racing, Alcon, Mov-It, Rotora caliper, that'll show you, you can do far better than Brembo. In motorsports, isn't it funny how only one Formula 1 team (Ferrari) use Brembo? Nearly all the rest use AP Racing (British). Same with Rally, nearly all the teams use Alcon (British again). I'm not too sure about superbikes, and what brakes they use, but I'm quite sure they don't use Brembo. Maybe Braking? It just goes to show the hype surrounding Brembo just looking at what has been written on the thread. Stick to your Hopes, Hayes etc..Well, until Akebono brings a brake out anyway......

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
look at it this way, honda is one of the best dirtbike builders in the world, and they enterd dowhill biking industry, now brembo, who makes some of the best car brakes in the world, are entering the downhill industry, cant you see, it may be overpriced, but its something good for our sport.

Biker Grove

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
stubby said:
brembo, who makes some of the best car brakes in the world, are entering the downhill industry, cant you see, it may be overpriced, but its something good for our sport.
No, Brembo are pretty crap, trust me. Yeah they might work ok, but they are cheap looking, poorly made and tacky. Just look close at any Brembo brake- even look at the damn rust on the prototype DH brake! As I said above; you can do FAR better than Brembo. The only reason people say Brembo this, Brembo that, is because of all the hype and the fact they are the most well known car brake manufacturer. You ask most folk to name a car brake manufacturer and you can bet your ass most well chime in with "Brembo".

But at the end of the day Brembo have nothing on an Alcon, Mov-It or an AP Racing caliper.

However, I do agree with the last part of your post. That is very true indeed. I think I'd rather wait though, to see if those sweet Akebono brakes, as seen on the Honda gearbox bike, will hit production...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Kornphlake said:

I'm pretty sure it was something they mentioned a while back (and I've heard it from a number of people). Yeah you'd lock the wheel or go OTB pretty easily, but if the brake had enough power come on suddenly enough, I can imagine that it would be like repeatedly riding straight into 8" high kerbs, regardless of what happened to the bike/rider.

Either way, they have definitely said that they've reduced the power because the original protos were too powerful.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
thaflyinfatman said:
I'm pretty sure it was something they mentioned a while back (and I've heard it from a number of people). Yeah you'd lock the wheel or go OTB pretty easily, but if the brake had enough power come on suddenly enough, I can imagine that it would be like repeatedly riding straight into 8" high kerbs, regardless of what happened to the bike/rider.

Either way, they have definitely said that they've reduced the power because the original protos were too powerful.
the tire has a finite tractive force, so i dont buy it.

it sounds like propaganda to me, great marketing buzz about how they know how to get so much power out of the brake it can snap forks and is too much for the worlds top riders.... :rolleyes: .....sounds like they meant to say 'had no modulation'

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
zedro said:
actually it was about the wheel slipping out (the caliper position puts a downward force on the axle).

This is how these dumb rumors start....

Pinkbike seems so much more reasonable these days :help:
If my post can start an internet rumor about marz forks breaking then you really should go to Pinkbike. I have several cracked disc mounts (from DH forks) that I'd be happy to send to you.

Just in cast anybody cares, I've never seen a Marz fork lower break from brake stresses.