Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
(but not before its end of life)
Out of interest can you quantify what "end of life" actually means to you?
To me end of life means a scrapper. And if (like me) you tend to buy 10+ yrs old cars (with circa 100000miles) until they're so uneconomical to keep running they need to be scrapped there's no way on earth you're going to pony up tens of thousands of pounds for a modern electric replacement.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
To me end of life means a scrapper. And if (like me) you tend to buy 10+ yrs old cars (with circa 100000miles) until they're so uneconomical to keep running they need to be scrapped there's no way on earth you're going to pony up tens of thousands of pounds for a modern electric replacement.
rust tends to be what kills cars here. mine is a 2013. The rust is beginning to take hold. If I had to venture a guess, it has another 4-5 years in it? I'm planning to scrap it when cost of repairs are greater than cost of new car payments, or when it won't pass the safety tests anymore.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The adamant ebiker population wants all the access that bicycles have and then refuse to be even considered allies with the dirtbikers because they want to maintain this illusion of being a cyclist or some shit.
That's not really a thing around here, as dirt bikes are so far off the map they never come up in land use conversations anymore, although I agree they should. Frankly some of the trail networks that make the most sense for e-bike use within ~100 miles of here are OHV parks like Mammoth Bar and Rock Creek/Georgetown.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's not really a thing around here, as dirt bikes are so far off the map they never come up in land use conversations anymore,
sure....

State park land in this case, not federal obviously.

That's the east side of the park they're looking at, not the bike stuff just fyi. Part of allowing vehicles in that bit would include some shuttle routes which might be cool.

The problem with all those places you listed is that even dedicated dirtbike spots get over-run/gentrified by mountainbikers once they find them. That damn shuttle company running bike shuttles on rock creek..... Downieville same story. There are so few legit dirtbike spots that once the shuttle and/or ebike scene shows up everyone starts bitching about the dirtbikes and causing problems. There needs to be tons more of both if they're going to call ebikes motorized whatevers

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'll be 40 later this year and i'm only on my second car.

CoolStoryBro.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I didn't own a car until I was 35.
Just_as_irrelevant_story_brah.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
rust tends to be what kills cars here. mine is a 2013. The rust is beginning to take hold. If I had to venture a guess, it has another 4-5 years in it? I'm planning to scrap it when cost of repairs are greater than cost of new car payments, or when it won't pass the safety tests anymore.
Same here. I live near the coast and our winter road treatments absolutely fuck cars with rust.. Current car's a 07 with a bit of welding combating the worst of its rust. Next major issue it'll be scrap.
I ride further each year than I drive but still need a vehicle.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I had vans previously...
Vans, wagons and utes FTW. I've never owned a 4-wheeled vehicle that required disassembling the bike to put in. Its always been my one stipulation - I know its a simple task but I hate pulling the bike apart every time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Vans, wagons and utes FTW. I've never owned a 4-wheeled vehicle that required disassembling the bike to put in. Its always been my one stipulation - I know its a simple task but I hate pulling the bike apart every time.
Yeah. I'm the same. My car will take 2 full bikes without disassembling anything with 2 full sized passenger seats still up. Good chance I'll go back to a van next. Prices are crazy tho.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Every single e-biker in Teton Valley that I know (which is most/all of them) completely support the local off-road alliance, as there are 400+ miles of motorized trail in the Big Holes, and they are only rideable due to the efforts (and traffic) of the motos. ATV’s and SxS’ides can just fuck off! :p :p

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've tried to explain it multiple times but I'll try one more time. Here, in the US, in the environment I know the best (and better than most), ebikers are stuck in a middle ground of being treated like motorized users, while wanting, and being used to the access provided as a non-motorized user. So, I made the joke I did because a lot of those owners/riders would benefit greatly from just accepting that their toys are considered motorized vehicles here. Like it or not that's what dictates MOST of the access here nationwide. So they might do well to get over the idea that they are superior to motorized users because they bought it from a bike company since the laws are the laws. The laws are dumb, created in an irrelevant era, granted. But that straddling of the laws here is just going to keep things in limbo. We've all been places where some of the best MTB riding is multi-use (including motorized) trails (parts of porc rim, the best trail off the monarch crest, downieville etc...). They're not incompatible. In fact some good moto chewed descents end up being the best mtb riding.

So that's the joke I made. What pissed me off is that you genuinely think I'm trying to impose some kind of conformity, which is like the polar opposite of how I view the world. Living in CA I'm far more the victim of this idyllic environmentally responsible hokey utopia conformity, so no, that's never what I'm after. And I sure as shit am not some homophobe, regardless of the framing of my joke. Straight white male power is the conformity in this country. I'm much more of a 'fly your freak flag' approach.

I can blow off idiots saying dumb shit but I elaborate on this stuff because I know and respect you. And I feel like you could give me the benefit of the doubt and maybe ask what I mean before "fuck you and your conformist rules." If I were a conformist where I lived I'd be building shit IMBA flow trails. It's not ebike hate, it's ebike user hate in this country because they want it both ways. There's a way forward but it's going to have to involve accepting some realities about existing law.

I already know that outside of sweden sleds are banned in most of europe. It's the same gentrification BS that controls ebikes here. It's all dumb.
I apologize for calling you names @kidwoo

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I apologize for calling you names @kidwoo
It's not names (you didn't didn't actually call me anything) it's a lack of the ability to just say "WTF are you talking about" and try to understand where I might be coming from.

I get called names all the time but I only get pissed when people who should know better jump to assumptions.

I can blow off idiots but you're not that. I can promise you I harbor no "ebike hate" beyond the marketing behind the abusrdly expensive ones, and the dumb rules we have here that cause some really odd and annoying unintended consequences.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It's not names (you didn't didn't actually call me anything) it's a lack of the ability to just say "WTF are you talking about" and try to understand where I might be coming from.

I get called names all the time but I only get pissed when people who should know better jump to assumptions.

I can blow off idiots but you're not that. I can promise you I harbor no "ebike hate" beyond the marketing behind the abusrdly expensive ones, and the dumb rules we have here that cause some really odd and annoying unintended consequences.
I’m lacking in more abilities than just that! Base model human being.

I should have asked for an explanation and I don’t think less of you. Apologies!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Brines?
We probably can’t escape him.
I'm out

You know who I'm talking about right? He used to post here.

Regardless I don't have to come there. I'll see you in CO remember? I'll be the guy revving a two stroke behind you all day as you pedal your ebike uphill on max boost and kill the battery.....

You know. As friends do.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
big and small government + overregulation makes it hard for american ebikers. some european lady tries to change that but things are unnecessarily hard
our laws are based on completely unrealistic propagandized hatred of motors among the smug anywhere outdoors, the same people who consume just as much or more, just under some bs environmental cover

anything you might be familiar with?

le /me, 2 weeks ago in switzerland (italian part). enjoying a nice cappucino right by the lake inbetween my ebike runs while i travelled there by swiss high speed train, powered by green energy

View attachment 190175

swiss lifestyle 4tw :banana:
Everyone spent so much time hating motors, they weren't prepared for motors designed to make someone feel like they were riding a bike, a now major attractant to the same smug pricks

people ride ebikes everywhere they ride non ebikes. The laws are stupid but no one really gives a shit

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
my lifetime co2 emissions let me sleep well each night
which was always the real goal of things like electric motors (IE remote combustion vehicles) and most of the so called renewable power sources, so it sounds like it's working

However no individual's singular impact is never going to amount to squat. Read up on america's recycling scams perpetrated 100% by the plastic manufacturing industry who convinced an entire nation that it was on them to be responsible, if you haven't. A lot the 'green energy' industry is the same, mostly just to sell something while still being the same cheap labor industrialists that capitalism always fosters.

Last edited: