AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'll throw this one out there since GFF likes boutique brands:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I'll throw this one out there since GFF likes boutique brands:

Nice stuff but 10-12 weeks is a bit of a stretch unless I dont find anything I like.

Trying to find stuff at the ready so I cant start tweaking at home on overnighters and stuff I can re-order on the fly, Surprisingly amazon has a ton of stuff. I am also going to try and keep this kit fairly inexpensive since the amount of bike thefts/bikejackings in Italy, France and Spain has been on the rise. I figure I can get away with a whole kit under 1 grand (including bike) and not be out anything major if I get taken advantage of in an albergue or shady hostel somewhere and have to rebuild on the spot.

Having to really do some searching for a handlebar bag that will accommodate my camera affliction

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Nice stuff but 10-12 weeks is a bit of a stretch unless I dont find anything I like.

Trying to find stuff at the ready so I cant start tweaking at home on overnighters and stuff I can re-order on the fly, Surprisingly amazon has a ton of stuff. I am also going to try and keep this kit fairly inexpensive since the amount of bike thefts/bikejackings in Italy, France and Spain has been on the rise. I figure I can get away with a whole kit under 1 grand (including bike) and not be out anything major if I get taken advantage of in an albergue or shady hostel somewhere and have to rebuild on the spot.

Having to really do some searching for a handlebar bag that will accommodate my camera affliction
Yeah, didn't catch that. LiteAF makes a Dyneema backpack that I would love to try, but they have a similarly long wait time. It would save me over 3/4 llb on my current pack though.

Gotcha on the cheap bags. You can just use some Dyneema dry bags as pack liners to keep your gear dry. I use a giant one from Zpacks as my pack liner in my ULA Circuit. So far my down quilt and puffy have stayed dry just shoved into the bottom of the dry bag. I don't put either in individual stuff sacks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am reviving this thread instead of making a new one since I am going to start gearing up for some long distance travels abroad.

I know a ton of my ultralight weight backpacking gear will flow over into this genre but the luggages and specific accruements will be in play, is relevate still the go-to products for outfitting? I am considering the full fledged garmin suite just for the mapping and metrics for the rides. It seems most folks are going for the weight distrobution on the forks/handlebars and a large seat pack these days coupled with a hefty frame bag. I am going to use the gravel grinder as a test bed in the states and see if it will work out for the long run. Any monkeys versed in the arts?

You have a ton of lightweight backpacking gear?

Seems counterproductive.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you think the lot might get stolen making your own bag isn't all that hard, especially if you do it with the seams on the outside and cover it with edge binding. Doing it that way also makes adding side zips a fair bit easier.
I have to do a new bag as I made mine a bit wide.........and shit, oh and the zip was on the wrong side
Bike Bag1.jpg

I'll have to check that my swag still clears the front wheel in mullet config, hadn't thought about that.
EDIT- I have a rear bike light that sets an alarm off on your phone if the bike gets moved in the night, can't remember wat it is, some German thing that was on Kickstarter.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Naturally, out of stock everywhere, dig the concept tho
The company might have gone tits up, seems the Cliq was the second version-

I did read reviews of my model failing but it has been fine, apart from using BLE and having to have GPS turned on on your phone, I hate that!
This Kickstarter was cancelled but reached the target- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hauteworks/daze-your-captivating-light-in-motion

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The company might have gone tits up, seems the Cliq was the second version-

I did read reviews of my model failing but it has been fine, apart from using BLE and having to have GPS turned on on your phone, I hate that!
This Kickstarter was cancelled but reached the target- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hauteworks/daze-your-captivating-light-in-motion
After shopping around a bit more this morning I found an outfit that sells them in a bundle with the smart headlight and other goodies in fact, not a bad deal.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
1DSC05220.jpg

oveja negra seatpost bag
roadrunner bags that are orange
alpine luddites top tube bag
outer shell wald basket bag
yanco feed bag
revelate design feed bag

various voile straps, velcro, basket cargo bungie

picture from somepoint before riding 100 miles around the Salton Sea

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't get why people hate (micro) panniers and why they want to hang weight way high up on their seat?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I don't get why people hate (micro) panniers and why they want to hang weight way high up on their seat?
The seat bag or handlebar bag is usually used for lightweight floofy stuff that requires some space like sleeping bags and such. I personally and many others dont like the rear pannier systems out there since they typically hang too low for singletrack clearances and/or get caught on things often as well as laying the bike down. I will use the fork mounts for small dry bag water bottle style panniers though since it is easily visible and allows you to carry some weight further down in the center of gravity. The bulk of my "weight" will be in the bottom of the frame bag above the BB.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I don't get it, plus, it screws with being able to run a dropper. I do only keep a sleeping mat and sometimes a few light freeze-dried meals in the handlebar bag, so it's deceivingly light. I try to get as much weight down low as possible. The sleeping bag isn't super light either, but that's about as low as it will go.
pKOMfuxWAtm94D2aZ-H2HwwA9c11BjBiucoB1aahb2I-1657x2048.jpg

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
my reason for high skinny not low wide gear hanging is brambles, creeks and wind. With the setup ran above I can get into a comfortable basket tuck for extra aero. Also having bags strapped on allows to go rackless which is how I'll run a cx bike (them youngsters on my lawn call it gravel bike) with a salsa everything cage in front. The most important bit of ultra light gear is my bora 5 kite. When the headwind blows, just take a break and cast a line to the sky.

A2057875-AD77-4789-A355-4FB7E43AD866_1_105_c.jpeg

60570EB5-B4AE-4A08-8A20-D063789050AF_1_105_c.jpeg

This was a triple night setup NJ - VT, sleep in the front clothes in the back.

just got my first dropper post mtb in October; dropper seat bag options are out there but in actuality I can just roll with less gear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I need a way to make a sail that can turn a head-wind into motive force.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, the Porcelain Rocket micro-panniers are tits. You basically unstrap one strap and you take the actual (water tight) bag with you, like to the campsite, or indoors, etc. The "pannier" is just a holder for the bag. I really wanted these for the last Iditiarod and the company hadn't made them for a few years, it was looking sketch, but then I found someone just a few miles away selling a brand new set. That was lucky.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Having pedaled from border to border down the rockies using a BOB trailer and living out of it for 3 months, so much of this strap on bike shit is funny as hell to me. JM seems to be the only one who understands center of gravity. Hint: when you're carrying that much shit, you're doing a lot of stand up pedaling and swinging a bike back and forth means that bike needs to swing easily.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I continue to regard drop bars as inane.
I am with ya honestly, not my fav but will specifically suit my needs for luggage and electronics better than a set of flat bars. I suspect I will have more miles on asphalt/paths abroad than I would on gravel or trails over here. But that for another build.

1639608256542.png

The kitchen sinks will allow me to have more real estate for the bar bag and mounts and will give me a bit more height on the hoods than flat bars would. Will probably be the closest thing to a road bike I will ever own anymore after RAAM.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
These arrived over the weekend. Seems to be a decent very casual and comfortable shoe for casual touring. Size seems to be true and it fairly wide for my hobbit feet.

F35041CB-E598-4889-85D8-216E0926EEA6.jpeg

Will do a better review as I break them in and use them a bit but stoked thus far to have a casual looking shoe that is SPD and can wear all day long when abroad.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That would be way more useful if it held a small explosive charge with remote detonation. Nothing too big, just enough to crack the frame and cause a crash or at the very least scare the shit out of the thief.
I think you meant shoot a poisoned pungi stick up the seat tube.