Quantcast

Bikepacking

In preparation for a trip I got a Timbuk2 seat bag. After installing and loading it up on my Intense T275 I went for a test ride and rear tire buzzed the bag on hitting significant bumps. Locking shock cured it but that seems stupid. Bag also has little lateral stability.

Thinking of reducing travel to 140 mm for trip or using my Thule rack which is heavier and increases unsprung mass. Not sure which option is better.

OK, rave on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Custom Front Triangle bag. By custom I mean duck tape and a solid waterproof fabric, seriously.

Edit: a quick look at your bike and you may not have much useable volume in the triangle. If you have generous standover clearance perhaps a triangular pack from the seat to top tube?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd limit travel with a few spacers. You probably won't be bottoming out your suspension with bags hanging off all your pointy ends anyway.

Custom Front Triangle bag. By custom I mean duck tape and a solid waterproof fabric, seriously.

Edit: a quick look at your bike and you may not have much useable volume in the triangle. If you have generous standover clearance perhaps a triangular pack from the seat to top tube?
Correct, very little usable volume.

I'd limit travel with a few spacers. You probably won't be bottoming out your suspension with bags hanging off all your pointy ends anyway.
Travel can be limited by moving lower shock mount point.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Bikepacking always sounded awesome to me as long as it's mostly off road. I'm not really down with the whole roadie dealing with cars thingy.

Kiddy Bike trailer? :lighten:
My buddy and I both have kiddy bike trailers and we've both talked about using them to haul coolers of beer. :headbang:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Did you add more air to the shock to compensate for the extra weight ? Might need to re-set the sag.

Also you should check the pressure on it regularly. I have a Fox Float RP23 and I have to pump it up before every ride, but that could have something to do with the tiny scratch in the shock body.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Joker broke when I took it on trip all loaded up in the Allegheny National Forest. I miss that bike and the marz Z1 that I had on it... Broke the face plate of a Thompson stem that trip also.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
BOB trailers are pretty good in my experience. It negated the suspension issue, and it was amazing how well that thing tracked on actual single track with a stupid heavy load.

Whether or not they make one to fit a 142 is something I don't know. My '11 stumpy still had 135 rear end which was a benefit in this case.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Joker broke when I took it on trip all loaded up in the Allegheny National Forest. I miss that bike and the marz Z1 that I had on it... Broke the face plate of a Thompson stem that trip also.
I could come and break your current bike for you for old times sake?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
BOB trailers are pretty good in my experience. It negated the suspension issue, and it was amazing how well that thing tracked on actual single track with a stupid heavy load.

Whether or not they make one to fit a 142 is something I don't know. My '11 stumpy still had 135 rear end which was a benefit in this case.
I have a Bob Yak that holds a fairly water tight bag. It only took a few miles to get used to the trailing weight.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
wow, howdy stranger! I just had brackets fabricated to adapt my Yak to the Moonlander. I haven't figured out how to make it work with the T275 yet. For the planned trip I was going to ride the latter.
So then you already know the yak's firewood and beer capacity... I am unfamiliar with the bikes you mentioned as I haven't bought a new bike since 2008. In fact I came back K to the monkey for opinions on current bike lights as my batteries have failed...

Have fun camping...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
[QOUTE]I haven't figured out how to make it work with the T275 yet. For the planned trip I was going to ride the latter.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what that is... sounds exotic. I haven't bought a new bike since 2008!

I don't know what that is... sounds exotic. I haven't bought a new bike since 2008!
I was riding a 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler until April 18th, when it was jacked.

Intense Tracer 275 is a 6" travel dual suspension rig with 27.5" wheels that I got as a replacement. I'll let others tell you that it's unrideable.

The Surly Moonlander is a rigid fatbike with 4.8" tires; it's fun.

Did you find the recent lounge thread on lights?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was riding a 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler until April 18th, when it was jacked.

Intense Tracer 275 is a 6" travel dual suspension rig with 27.5" wheels that I got as a replacement. I'll let others tell you that it's unrideable.

The Surly Moonlander is a rigid fatbike with 4.8" tires; it's fun.

Did you find the recent lounge thread on lights?
These is a Specialized Fat Boy of some sort at the local bike shop that has silly fat tires, I can only imagine how how hard they would be to pedal.

I did find that thread and composed a lengthy reply with relevant questions and somehow lost it when shuffling the tablet. I will try again later.

I am curious to know where and how one employs a fatty... tire, that is.

These is a Specialized Fat Boy of some sort at the local bike shop that has silly fat tires, I can only imagine how how hard they would be to pedal.

I did find that thread and composed a lengthy reply with relevant questions and somehow lost it when shuffling the tablet. I will try again later.

They're not hard to pedal. Takes more effort to get them going, less to keep them going over obstacles. They're goofy and fun, good in mud, snow, and sand. See if you can get a demo ride on a Salsa Bucksaw.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

I just got a Salsa Mukluk a few weeks ago and after 2 rides, I am still surprised that it doesn't feel hard to pedal and carries momentum quite well. Mine was a bit "bouncy" and took a little getting used to, but I quite enjoyed both rides and found that it climbs like a champ.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I just got a Salsa Mukluk a few weeks ago and after 2 rides, I am still surprised that it doesn't feel hard to pedal and carries momentum quite well. Mine was a bit "bouncy" and took a little getting used to, but I quite enjoyed both rides and found that it climbs like a champ.
My repressed inner roadie made me think that way, I have seen a few riders on medium width fat boys and noted they were being pushed up hill, probably said more about the riders than the bikes. The Specialized has tires fatter than a motocross bike! There aren't many bikers around here so I don't see too many newer bikes, the trials are mild and don't destroy bikes as fast as other places I have riden.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am reviving this thread instead of making a new one since I am going to start gearing up for some long distance travels abroad.

I know a ton of my ultralight weight backpacking gear will flow over into this genre but the luggages and specific accruements will be in play, is relevate still the go-to products for outfitting? I am considering the full fledged garmin suite just for the mapping and metrics for the rides. It seems most folks are going for the weight distrobution on the forks/handlebars and a large seat pack these days coupled with a hefty frame bag. I am going to use the gravel grinder as a test bed in the states and see if it will work out for the long run. Any monkeys versed in the arts?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How much snow you expecting? :D

IMG_0118.jpg

seat pack with tarptent and stuff.
Frame bag with water, tools and stuff
top tube bag with snacks
front dry back with sleeping bag, warmer layers etc
front pouch with more food, electronics and stuff

That pic is 10 years old from Tour Divide, I still use that same bags, frame and wheels, but haven't mounted the TT bars in a few years now. The only other bag addition since then has been a mountain feedbag - all my bags are Revelate, the frame bag was custom from them.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
How much snow you expecting? :D

View attachment 168638

seat pack with tarptent and stuff.
Frame bag with water, tools and stuff
top tube bag with snacks
front dry back with sleeping bag, warmer layers etc
front pouch with more food, electronics and stuff

That pic is 10 years old from Tour Divide, I still use that same bags, frame and wheels, but haven't mounted the TT bars in a few years now. The only other bag addition since then has been a mountain feedbag - all my bags are Revelate, the frame bag was custom from them.
Did you find yourself needing more space or was your kit good enough for your needs? what was the max you went unsupported?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Did you find yourself needing more space or was your kit good enough for your needs? what was the max you went unsupported?
With nothing on my back I could probably squeeze to four days with sufficiently calorie dense food - but also dependent upon how many miles you're trying to do/calories burned, time of year etc. Burritos and peanut butter/pita bread etc. Obviously dependent upon water filtering ability too. (edit: plus your likelihood of being eaten by a grizzly when it smells your stash :D)

Wind back to TD and you end up eating a lot of junk available wherever you can buy calories. I used to pretty much know the calorie count of most gas station available "food" and candy bars.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Burritos and peanut butter/pita bread etc. Obviously dependent upon water filtering ability too.
I learned this lesson the hard way. It's not practical for me to carry peanut butter and flour tortillas because I would need to either carry a ridiculous amount of water or only eat it near a water source. Looked good watching youtubers eat that combo, but didn't work for me.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have found on my backpacking gear in prime season is no more than 50 liters of space and sub 10lbs so I think I can get to a pretty low footprint on the bike. I have a ton of specific mounting locations all over the current bike I am working with so I think I can get some decent low profile/compact options for gear. I know I am going to the kitchen sink bars in order to have a decent sized bar bag. I am intending to pack a good deal of camera gear and I know that will bring some weight but no more than the average bikepacker. Some of the youtubers are over 40lbs for gear and luggage which seems insane to me. I dont see myself going over 4-5 days unsupported but just trying to buy luggage right the first time. I would much rather have too much luggage and not fill it all than not have the room in sacrifice for weight/footprint.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I don't know much about bikepacking, but I have good friends who are really into it so I've picked up a few things along the way.

I don't think Revelate is the only go-to these days. They're still top notch AFAIK, but there are other players in the space now. Oveja Negra, JPaks (personal friend), Bedrock Bags, Ortlieb, and likely several others. I'm sure you're looking for people's personal experiences and preferences, but this article at Bikepacking.com might be a place to start. FWIW, when it comes to outfitting the bike I have friends who subscribe to both the "never backpack" as well as the "yes I still bikepack with a backpack" camps.

Not that you would ever join some other biking forum, but there is also Bikepacking.net that might be good for info.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Not that you would ever join some other biking forum, but there is also Bikepacking.net that might be good for info.
I prefer the RM brand of snobbery and elitists, besides, I dont think they would get my humor and drive me out of town with pitchforks and torches. Sidenote, That forum is like tabasco in the eyes

I am currently grouping my items into bag specific shapes on my floor to imitate possible loadouts and luggage choices.