Quantcast

Berms

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have been digging a lot lately in Morgins, Switzerland and here are a couple shots from yesterday. I have one of the best drivers in a new machine so the berms are turning out great. It is 6am and I am out the door for some more digging. I will try and get some more pics uploaded as I build. Here are a couple for now and we are opening on Saturday.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wait...what about the environmental impact of that? Did you commission a study to make sure the 3 ft singletrack wouldn't irreparably destroy the mountain?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wait...what about the environmental impact of that? Did you commission a study to make sure the 3 ft singletrack wouldn't irreparably destroy the mountain?
^seriously

It never ceases to amaze me how people concern themselves with the ecological effects of trails, while ignoring much more pressing issues like petroleum use, world hunger, etc. etc. If they want to be hippies, why not actually get something done? Oh wait...

Anyways, trail looks like it should run well!

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
As always your pics really wanna make me get out and ride! Beauty looking berms, the best thing about them is that I get to Morzine on the 19th June to ride for a whole month, definitely gonna make a morgins trip!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As much as I love berms, I would like to see more trails left natural/unshaped/not surfaced/rooty.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
^seriously

It never ceases to amaze me how people concern themselves with the ecological effects of trails, while ignoring much more pressing issues like petroleum use, world hunger, etc. etc. If they want to be hippies, why not actually get something done? Oh wait...

Anyways, trail looks like it should run well!

Berms look great, as always very jealous, Ben.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
so seriously. any job openings?
Sorry, I have the same two guys who work for me for the last 7 years. I would love to hire more people but we get by with the 3 of us.

and to everyone else, thanks for the compliments and I will throw up some more photos later. I am a bit tired this morning and I have to get back to the digger so no time to download pics.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
As much as I love berms, I would like to see more trails left natural/unshaped/not surfaced/rooty.
I agree but it is a product for tourism and most of our target market doesn't like greasy roots. The mountain is covered in steep natural terrain with roots everywhere. These berms are on the first third of a trail with 3 styles of trail. The next third is all natural with nothing but roots. Morgins has more than it's fair share of roots.

This is an old pic but it shows what a lot of the trails look like there.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The thing I mostly wonder about with berms is how you properly build in drainage. What techniques do you use?
It rains a lot here and the mountains are steep so I probably build more drainage than most places. I usually bank the trail slightly to keep the water on the inside and then cross the trail at a 45° and place a drainage after the berm and tighten the radius slightly to jump you right out of the berm and over the drainage.

The other technique I use is with camber and to have a slight bump/uphill before and after the berm which helps the rider enter the berm nice and high and keep the water from entering the berm or going down the trail.

This shows the second technique.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Here are a couple more pics. Opening day is tomorrow, come out and shred these berms.

This is the step down that you can't see in the photo above just before the last 2 berms.

I was late to work because of these fine Swiss ladies.

After work

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
17th of July for me :thumb: You know Steven Ponting don't you? I'll make sure he gets me to the best of your work this year
I think I do but I am not sure. Is he over in Les Gets or Morzine? I know a bunch of guys over there and not one last name.

Today is opening day! I am super tired from digging but very happy with the trails. They G you out so hard every 15 meters. Here are a couple more pics.

and here is a pic of my buddies mini shop where we started making frames. That one in the photo is finished but I didn't get a pic yet.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Awesome as usual! I always look forward to your posts...inspiring amounts of dirt have been moved on those berms.

To the poster asking about drainage...we use a similar technique to buckoW. Camber the trail such that water runs along the inside of the bench rather than against the berm, then run a pipe at a 45 degree angle under the berm, draining to the outside. If there is no room for a pipe, we typically do just what he described, place a roller or hump right at the exit of the berm, serves to get water off the trail while also letting you get some pop out of the berm.

I don't think mine are quite as impressive as his, but they show the drainage techniques well. Give it a shot! You'll appreciate the dry berms.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ben from the photos it seems you are unable to make a bad trail ;) Every photo makes me stoked on riding and really want to ride it(or better move to the Morgins/Champery area ;) ).

btw. Frames? Can you tell us more? Im always interested in new brands on the market. Any interesting ideas they have?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Awesome as usual! I always look forward to your posts...inspiring amounts of dirt have been moved on those berms.

To the poster asking about drainage...we use a similar technique to buckoW. Camber the trail such that water runs along the inside of the bench rather than against the berm, then run a pipe at a 45 degree angle under the berm, draining to the outside. If there is no room for a pipe, we typically do just what he described, place a roller or hump right at the exit of the berm, serves to get water off the trail while also letting you get some pop out of the berm.

I don't think mine are quite as impressive as his, but they show the drainage techniques well. Give it a shot! You'll appreciate the dry berms.

Nice building Mulestar! I always try and do the pipes if I have no other solution but that is more because I am up in the mountains on a steep slope and it would be a lot more work to get them to the site.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ben from the photos it seems you are unable to make a bad trail ;) Every photo makes me stoked on riding and really want to ride it(or better move to the Morgins/Champery area ;) ).

btw. Frames? Can you tell us more? Im always interested in new brands on the market. Any interesting ideas they have?
Thanks dude.

Frames? Are you talking about my Voltage DH?

Floriane Pugin got two third places on it in the last 2 WC's. The guys prefer the Gambler and the Voltage DH is just a proto for the race team. The geo is very extreme and many people wouldn't like it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thanks dude.

Frames? Are you talking about my Voltage DH?

Floriane Pugin got two third places on it in the last 2 WC's. The guys prefer the Gambler and the Voltage DH is just a proto for the race team. The geo is very extreme and many people wouldn't like it.
I was more curious about your buddies mini shop where you started making frames. You build voltage protos there?

As for the geo Im curious. The bb for me can get very low and its not long to get used to. After riding a 24inch dj bike and trying to use it for very different tracks nothing will touch ground more ;) The head angle may be probably steep for normal tracks but I understand why people would want it.

I also really like how the tubing looks on this one. Very sexy bike.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The frames we make in my friends garage are just for fun. The last one is a 26" hardtail with 370mm chainstays, a -20mm bb drop and a 69° head angle. He hasn't built it up yet. He also makes angled headset cups and lots of other machined stuff. He has a Trek with a -1.5° headset he made last year.

The Scott bikes are made in Taiwan and the engineering and design is done in Switzerland. My Voltage DH there in that photo has a K9 -2° headset in it giving a 62° head angle and a 342mm bb height. I have the short dropouts on there giving a 425mm chain stay length. I like it like that for the steep stuff.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Anybody besides me re-thinking this whole "Whistler is the bomb" thing?
We have 25 lifts here open for bikes in just one spot. Then there is another spot just a half hour down the road, then another one, then another one, etc... Come check it out Butch. When you are riding, the family cam learn some French and check out some castles and stuff.

Here is as pic of me from the other day while building. My brother Will Walker took the photo.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We have 25 lifts here open for bikes in just one spot. Then there is another spot just a half hour down the road, then another one, then another one, etc... Come check it out Butch. When you are riding, the family cam learn some French and check out some castles and stuff.

Here is as pic of me from the other day while building. My brother Will Walker took the photo.

Impaled by a SHOVEL!!!! Somebody call the amberlamps.:shocked:

I'll see your foreign berm...and raise you a Dirty Bird berm:

Last edited: