Quantcast

awwww shit. IT'S ON

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The points system is stupid, the structure is stupid, the coverage is stupid, and the sport is now stupid in aggregate. I can't power through another broadcast. This is terrible.

XC racing is still great, and the coverage is as good as it always was.

Chris Ball sucks.

Cedric regressed this race and was at his most inane and incoherent state. The only complete thoughts he could get out were along the lines of "speed is important". Or my favorite, can't remember the rider "this guy rides like no one else, he pushes against the bike with his feet!"

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So how does this work for Worlds? The rider who wins the Final only?

Avy
No points for the overall Cup. Just a single race, no qualis, just seeding run - everyone gets a timed run. Fastest rider gets rainbow sleeve and bragging rights. Fort William (August 4-5 for DH)

Then we go back to the world cup series afterwards in Andorra (August 25-27).

Will be interesting to see how they broadcast it

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I’m confused then, cause I would think Both runs would be on the same level.

Avy
Faster times = more intensity.
You should go watch a sport you can comprehend instead of bitching about one you clearly don't understand.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Faster times = more intensity.
You should go watch a sport you can comprehend instead of bitching about one you clearly don't understand.
Bitching about something I don’t understand you say?

Faster times= more intensity. Wow,that is Genius Brother! So,the more Intense you are,the faster you will go.

You think they can turn up/down their intensity like a Fuckin Radio. Why don’t you ask Verg who won the Semi Final with the time of 3:36 was it?

Verg,why did’nt you turn up your Intensity for the Final’s? You lost? Well go on,ask um smart ass!

Avy

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just watched the GoPro of Jackson's finals winning run (3:34.926) and Jordan's quali winning run (3:36.164). The course had changed immensely. Friggin' crazy that Jackson went so fast in the final with the course in that shape.

It was also interesting to see how tight the top 4 semis results were:
1st. Loris Vergier: 3:35.394
2nd. Jordan Williams: 3:36.434
3rd. Finn Iles: 3:36.539
4th. Jackson Goldstone: 3:36.595 (+1.2 seconds)

Looking at that, you get the sense riders that for semis riders were riding the main line at speed, but kept their "secret" lines for the finals run. Jackson knocked off 1.669 seconds from his semis run in his finals run.

I imagine they are all trying to figure out the new format and how to manage intensity and effort over those two runs. Ben Coulange in the Full Attack post-race show said they don't get much practice on race day, and in between their semi and finals runs, the track changes a fair bit, especially for those going in the last 5, as 10 women and 25 men run the course in between. So you're kinda guessing how the course will be when you hit it. This is all inherently part of the sport, but there is definitely a new element with the semi run that they are trying to factor in.

I wonder if the riders like Loic, who were so dialed in their race weekend routine are finding it difficult to adapt to the new routine since they are such cerebral riders. But once they figure out their new process, watch out! Or maybe we've entered the age of the Jackson and Jordan show... either way, this is shaping up to be a really fun season to watch.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. You've definitely got a point there. I'd have used Minnaar rather than Loic as an example of a cerebral high performing finals rider struggling to adapt to the new format.

It's awesome that there are so many riders capable of taking a win. And such diverse mix of talents and backgrounds in the top 20 now. First year elite rider jordan casually but confidently mixing it up. Then pre programmed bike and media coached from birth Jackson. That dude is pure Sci-fi on a bike. The established riders doing their thing, old hands still mixing it up and nut jobs like Ronan and Tibault just being mental and getting somehow away with it.
Also quite a few established riders must be taking it hard struggling like fuck to even qualify for the semis.

The new format is far too long for viewing. And that's from someone who has so far watched every single GCN broadcast.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
The new format is far too long for viewing. And that's from someone who has so far watched every single GCN broadcast.
given the time difference, i'd never watch live anyways, but it IS nice to scrub through all the tedious BS / backmarkers & just watch the good stuff on the replay. i'm very efficient.

and yeah, fascinating to see the changing of the guard / how the pace has ratcheted up. wild to see all the fast guys not making finals, & lots of sentiment about how much harder / closer to the ragged edge they need to push for results. makes for fun viewing, but perhaps not long careers for these guys.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
given the time difference, i'd never watch live anyways, but it IS nice to scrub through all the tedious BS / backmarkers & just watch the good stuff on the replay. i'm very efficient.
works fairly decent for me, in my time zone. wake up on Saturday morning and catch the final few women in the finals runs on my phone, in bed. Go down and make a coffee, watch the replay of the final 10 men from the semis (using the ffwd button as needed). Then watch the mens finals live. It only really gets good at the final 20 men anyways. All in all, about 3 hours of watching. I can deal with that, and my family seems to be ok with it too...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
works fairly decent for me, in my time zone. wake up on Saturday morning and catch the final few women in the finals runs on my phone, in bed. Go down and make a coffee, watch the replay of the final 10 men from the semis (using the ffwd button as needed). Then watch the mens finals live. It only really gets good at the final 20 men anyways. All in all, about 3 hours of watching. I can deal with that, and my family seems to be ok with it too...
Is the YT video’s that I watch the same amount of content as the App? I am thinking no,but I have no idea?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. That's nowhere near ALL the coverage though..

@Avy
Friday was jnr women's finals followed by Jnr men finals (around an hour and a half for both races)
Then next day elite women Semi followed by Elite Men (around two and half hours)
with barely a break before the Elite Women's finals (an hour) then Elite Men's Finals (two and a half hours)

I do prefer to watch any racing live though

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah. That's nowhere near ALL the coverage though..

@Avy
Friday was jnr women's finals followed by Jnr men finals (around an hour and a half for both races)
Then next day elite women Semi followed by Elite Men (around two and half hours)
with barely a break before the Elite Women's finals (an hour) then Elite Men's Finals (two and a half hours)

I do prefer to watch any racing live though
Thank You Brother. That is busy and time consuming like you said. Even more so watching it Live.

Avy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ya gotta feel a bit bummed for Vali Holl. She's won 2 out of 3 WCs and 2 out of 3 Semi-finals and she's being beaten in the overall by Camille who hasn't won a race yet.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Ya gotta feel a bit bummed for Vali Holl. She's won 2 out of 3 WCs and 2 out of 3 Semi-finals and she's being beaten in the overall by Camille who hasn't won a race yet.
Yeah it’s crazy,the point system. Still workin on it. Let’s see what happens at Worlds. Vali has bone to pick.

toodles,what gives the most points being “First” in each race. Quali,Semi or Final? Last,do they get extra points for winning 2 out of 3,or all 3?

Edit: Is not Mom Atherton coming to the show? I think yes,I hope,I don’t really know actually?

Avy

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah it’s crazy,the point system. Still workin on it. Let’s see what happens at Worlds. Vali has bone to pick.

toodles,what gives the most points being “First” in each race. Quali,Semi or Final? Last,do they get extra points for winning 2 out of 3,or all 3?

Edit: Is not Mom Atherton coming to the show? I think yes,I hope,I don’t really know actually?

Avy
MensWomens
QualiSemi finalFinalQualiSemi finalFinal

*edit* well fuck me you can copy and paste from spreadsheets into here.

@Avy thats the breakdown in points. No bonus points for the clean sweep of all the weekend races, just a good points haul and crushing the souls of your competitors.

Rachel was only supposed to race the first race and World Champs originally. She did the second race just cos she slammed the first but skipped VDS after being diagnosed with sanity and to save/prepare herself for the Ft Bill World Champs.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Mental racing this year, even though the past couple of years have been epic. Even my wife is blown away when she watches the last riders come down. VDS is a beast of a track and makes for great viewing. I like the race format. It adds a new element and it wasn’t a complete flop, as a new concept. I did notice that riders were struggling to untangle themselves if they got caught up in the tape, as it doesn’t snap/break easily.

Regarding Jackson and Jordan entering 1st year elite, and aside from smoking pretty much the entire field, they didn’t come in and over cook things. Their runs are not wild and over the edge, with crashes most races. We have seen a lot of previous year juniors light up the scene with wild runs until they learn to compose themselves. Can be great viewing but no consistency. Jordan and Jacko are winning with fast smooth/clean runs. Insane talent.

I am loving how stoked everyone is on watching the juniors attack the track in practice runs etc. Our sport is looking healthy for years to come.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I am loving how stoked everyone is on watching the juniors attack the track in practice runs etc. Our sport is looking healthy for years to come.
The best thing to come out of the Disco WB thingo is the juniors being televised. Its so fucking good to watch. They're waaaaay more loose. There's some seriously sharp talent coming through

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The best thing to come out of the Disco WB thingo is the juniors being televised. Its so fucking good to watch. They're waaaaay more loose. There's some seriously sharp talent coming through
2/3 of the races were won by first year seniors this year.

That's fuckin bananas. Juniors are wild right now.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
MensWomens
QualiSemi finalFinalQualiSemi finalFinal

*edit* well fuck me you can copy and paste from spreadsheets into here.

@Avy thats the breakdown in points. No bonus points for the clean sweep of all the weekend races, just a good points haul and crushing the souls of your competitors.

Rachel was only supposed to race the first race and World Champs originally. She did the second race just cos she slammed the first but skipped VDS after being diagnosed with sanity and to save/prepare herself for the Ft Bill World Champs.
Thank You Brother. OK,as suggested by someone here,I am starting a New Thread for Worlds.

Avy

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Bitching about something I don’t understand you say?

Faster times= more intensity. Wow,that is Genius Brother! So,the more Intense you are,the faster you will go.

You think they can turn up/down their intensity like a Fuckin Radio. Why don’t you ask Verg who won the Semi Final with the time of 3:36 was it?

Verg,why did’nt you turn up your Intensity for the Final’s? You lost? Well go on,ask um smart ass!

Avy
The winning riders went faster on a worse track. Did you see Diprela's run? They were all pushing the level in the finals, didn't work out for Vergier, thats nothing new for this year either.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That whole podcast is worth a listen.
"Eddie ran Bergamont off a cracked iPhone" :neo:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They're mates. but moar importantly Southerners.

The further North you're from in the UK the more you take the piss out your best mates.
Southerners would cry.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The winning riders went faster on a worse track. Did you see Diprela's run? They were all pushing the level in the finals, didn't work out for Vergier, thats nothing new for this year either.
You are a real cunt. How old are you? I can take a good grilling,but you have no eggs in the basket,no ground underneath you’re feat Brother.

Yes I saw Diprelas run. As if I did not know the track was worse?

Didn’t work out for Verg,nothing new. What a Joke that comment is. I can not comment any more with you,waste of fucking time. Last,you better Hope Verg does not win. If in the case he does,I will call it the fwp Verg Victory lap for every fucking win here forth. Mock me.

Avy

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Whole thread's been a kinda, "retard race to the bottom" for a few pages now.
Couple of other threads seem to be going the same way of late......
Has it ever been different on Pink... ehem, I mean Ridemonkey? :D