Quantcast

awwww shit. IT'S ON

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Great race all around, including the camera work and commentary. Reece Wilson and Aaron Gwin would be a great duo in the booth. And Ric's commentary was good as well today.

I was really rooting for Coulanges. It was nuts how some of the "easy" sections caught riders off guard.

Daprela almost had to mount an expedition for his bike.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Great race all around, including the camera work and commentary. Reece Wilson and Aaron Gwin would be a great duo in the booth. And Ric's commentary was good as well today.

I was really rooting for Coulanges. It was nuts how some of the "easy" sections caught riders off guard.

Daprela almost had to mount an expedition for his bike.
Only saw the second half of the men's but I agree. Gwin gave a good racer's insight, Ric was good, even Ced had a couple of pointers beyond describing what he saw in front of him.

I think what's missing still is the personalising. Warner would always say, "I've been talking to... and he told me...". You'd get a sense of the community. This still feels distant, like I'm watching a sport out of curiosity rather than passion.

They also don't lean on the season level story enough... who's battling out for points, rivalries etc. It's just another week of this bike racing stuff.

Still, today was a definite improvement.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I enjoyed Aaron's participation in the commentary. Brought up some fresh stuff that he knew. Even had some jokes.

Irish Flag = frog in a blender HAHAHA

Luca on his size/strength = He definitely likes to pedal more than me :D

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Gwin‘s participation made this infinitely better than any of the other broadcasts and I found him more insightful than Elliot Jackson even as far as line choice and getting a racer’s perspective were concerned. He also came across much more personable than when he was competing, which is understandable, but it was refreshing to see he is not the Michael Schumacher like automaton that I always took him for. Even got a few jokes in, I actually laughed when the subject of Dak‘s hair came up and he just replied with “sooo luscious“.

Rock Jesus should sacrifice his racing career so that our broadcast may live. Failing that, Discovery ought to put some of our hard earned money aside to hire a third commentator if they are not going to replace Cedric outright.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I haven't watched that latest video, but while what they're discussing is good, it's also a double edged sword they're playing with, if there is no positive action behind it all. In my opinion of course.

Yes it's bad what happened, but it happened. Complaining about it and saying DH is dead (even if just as a joke) isn't really helping.

They need to gather the riders and corner the managers and people who are paying the UCI into a corner and get them to be on their side of the fence. Folks like Bernard who are team managers can help lead the way.

Money is what talks. Stick it to the UCI where it hurts. And if not, do something serious with Red Bull and stop complaining.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well the race did finally happen. I'm thinking at the time of the vlog, they were thinking it wasn't.

But really. If you are serious about riding. You ride in all the conditions. Nothing is really "dangerous". Racers can and will take their own risk. Maybe block off some stupid features, just to be sure. But like what Pinkerton was saying, in this particular instance, it's slow speed crashes where you slide a lot. I've been there, done that. And lived to tell about it. Did any of my races in my time get cancelled because of rain or snow? Nope.

I think it is what it is. If it rains, you ride in the rain. If it snows, you ride in the snow. (I've been there too). Are you a really good rider? Then it shouldn't be a problem. You should probably plan on crashing tho. That's the risk and fun and reward of racing, isn't it?

But don't cancel anything because you think all the riders are in danger. They are not.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
watch it first…
I've watched and still think the same.

It's a great sit down with Wyn, who has done and is doing, a lot for the sport.

But all this vlogging and talk from Dean needs to be followed up with actions, if anything will change.

As stated in the other video, this isn't just about shitty commentary or the race getting canceled for the juniors; there is way more to it, like transparency from the UCI, their delegates, the riders representatives and the riders themselves.

If the rider's representatives are doing a bad job, force them out of the position. Even if that means ousting the GOAT Greg.

With no action DH racing will die (as we know it today), as they predict. They need to step up and stop it from happening.

Don't let it be like the riders union, which they even state is just a pile of buried rubbish now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Gwin‘s participation made this infinitely better than any of the other broadcasts and I found him more insightful than Elliot Jackson even as far as line choice and getting a racer’s perspective were concerned. He also came across much more personable than when he was competing, which is understandable, but it was refreshing to see he is not the Michael Schumacher like automaton that I always took him for. Even got a few jokes in, I actually laughed when the subject of Dak‘s hair came up and he just replied with “sooo luscious“.

Rock Jesus should sacrifice his racing career so that our broadcast may live. Failing that, Discovery ought to put some of our hard earned money aside to hire a third commentator if they are not going to replace Cedric outright.

I think it was AI generated. Never even said "furr shurr".

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
A riders' union will never happen. If it's barely in place and functional for road racing, it won't ever come to downhill. And teams won't support any initiative that makes them pay athletes a living wage. Stringing together multiple sponsors and keeping numbers up on the socials keeps most of the top riders going. I bet anyone outside the top 15/20 on the men's side isn't able to live on the team salary alone. Teams seemed happy to play along with the UCI until this year, where the new format attacks their ability to advertise.

The UCI will punish any team, rider, venue or sponsor who would run a rider in a competing series not sanctioned by the UCI. There's also the issue of insurance and logistics that have a low marginal cost for the UCI, but which would be prohibitive for a breakout series.

If you want to understand how important the insurance aspect is, just show up to an ESC - Eastern States Cup, an independent series - race in the US and try to practice the course without your numberplate on.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Bruni dropping some interesting info towards the end about Dak (22:15)... Said he has no team for next year, and his bike is a piece of sh!t... (to be clear, he was saying Dak's run was amazing, and he did it despite the conditions).

Also, during the discussion about the Jr race cancellation, Myriam indicated the rumors about difficulty getting medics on the hill was one of the main reasons for the cancellation were untrue. they still don't know what the main factor was.

Last point: the course builder was there, and he was disappointed (verging on angry) that the B-Zone was unfinished... That's going to be a big one to fix for the next races....

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
I've watched and still think the same.

It's a great sit down with Wyn, who has done and is doing, a lot for the sport.

But all this vlogging and talk from Dean needs to be followed up with actions, if anything will change.

As stated in the other video, this isn't just about shitty commentary or the race getting canceled for the juniors; there is way more to it, like transparency from the UCI, their delegates, the riders representatives and the riders themselves.

If the rider's representatives are doing a bad job, force them out of the position. Even if that means ousting the GOAT Greg.

With no action DH racing will die (as we know it today), as they predict. They need to step up and stop it from happening.

Don't let it be like the riders union, which they even state is just a pile of buried rubbish now.
100% this and I've made similar comments on his recent videos. If he really wants to be an "influencer" , do more than talk about how shit things are and make another video about it. Not a fresh hairdo and pearl necklace either......
DO SOMETHING.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The notion that Dean Lucas will do anything except talk about Dean Lucas is interesting.
Do we now not like him? Never had a problem with the guy. Seems like a decent fellow even if he is struggling to find speed recently (not that makes him somehow worse).

Imho he is not the person for the job. I'd rather see Kerr or someone who worked as a team manager since that kinda means that person who knows about more than riding and is organized.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do we now not like him? Never had a problem with the guy. Seems like a decent fellow even if he is struggling to find speed recently (not that makes him somehow worse).

Imho he is not the person for the job. I'd rather see Kerr or someone who worked as a team manager since that kinda means that person who knows about more than riding and is organized.
Podcasting and vlogging about problems won't change anything. He can sit there and point out everything that is wrong and correct with racing/UCI/Dick Pound/etc. He might be correct on it all. But that won't start the change and I doubt many or any of the people who can enact change are watching his stuff.

He's not the only one either.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

BK seems a bit unfocused and off since he has been slipping his young employee the ol' banger.
Must be love..:rolleyes:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013

Bruni dropping some interesting info towards the end about Dak (22:15)... Said he has no team for next year, and his bike is a piece of sh!t... (to be clear, he was saying Dak's run was amazing, and he did it despite the conditions).

Also, during the discussion about the Jr race cancellation, Myriam indicated the rumors about difficulty getting medics on the hill was one of the main reasons for the cancellation were untrue. they still don't know what the main factor was.

Last point: the course builder was there, and he was disappointed (verging on angry) that the B-Zone was unfinished... That's going to be a big one to fix for the next races....
Saturday was the first time I've ever watched Bruni go green and it felt bad.
Poor Dak, Thought he had it until Bruni was in the gate, runs like that are just what Bruni does.
My first thought was "No way in hell that Prototype Demo doesn't give any rider .7 over that Vee rubber intense"

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Agree that Dak deserves to be on a quality bike. IMO he's been held back by his teams and equipment for years at this point. I think Gwin is too, but he made his own bed so he could be in charge and bring in more $ personally. Doing raceday R&D on behalf of 2nd and 3rd-tier brands is not a race-winning formula.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Podcasting and vlogging about problems won't change anything. He can sit there and point out everything that is wrong and correct with racing/UCI/Dick Pound/etc. He might be correct on it all. But that won't start the change and I doubt many or any of the people who can enact change are watching his stuff.

He's not the only one either.
I mean there is space for what would still fall under the umbrela of journalism but yeah right now we need activists not journalists/bloggers (i am being generous here). So we agree here but yeah I get what you are saying. This is why I mentioned Kerr as he probably has a bigger chance to be listened too and he probably has wider knowledge plus he has to be quite organized to run a big team (maybe Dean is podcasting because he doesn't trust he will be considered as a leader for unionization? That's on him but I get the feeling)

BK seems a bit unfocused and off since he has been slipping his young employee the ol' banger.
Must be love..:rolleyes:
I understood nothing of what you have said.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Dylan Maples getting a Commencal team jersey for the weekend helps the Commencal team avoid what apparently are the very punitive repercussions of not fielding an elite male rider in a World Cup.

Serendipity, as they say.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Any chance you could re-open your little black "book of grudge" and remind us what Dean did to us all during Covid?

He's been doing an awful lot of whingeing about WC racing for a good while now so it seems a change is exactly what he needs, good luck to the dude.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Feels like he’s wanted out for a long time, but not been able to figure out what he’d do instead.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Deano has seen the writing on the wall and is getting out and back on the job market early, rather than wait for looks like it’ll be a brutal end of season.