Quantcast

awwww shit. IT'S ON

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Ah...see, if you mute the volume, you don't hear about what gloves someone is wearing. You get to hear your kid and wife instead argue about what's for breakfast :D

To Gary's point, yeah, I'd like to hear that kind of banter too. Seems to fill in the time when everyone is on the same line and maybe they're down by 3 sec. You know they're not going to make that back up. I don't want it to sound like a commercial/advert, but why not say things like that? What tires? Suspension? Body armor? All the way down to kit and gloves. I could see that be a bit weak sauce if you do it for every rider, but the point being spice up the commentary with a bit of this and that. Ya know?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Bruni's finals run and placing was crazy considering the conditions.

Not to pile on but the interest just isn't there for me to get up and watch these broadcasts religiously like before. The semifinals seem superfluous and the broadcast just isn't as engaging as before.

I was hoping that perhaps it was just some early growing pains, but it's feeling like this is the new normal.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The junior commentary hahaha.... dear god

Elites are on earlier than planned apparently so tune in like four hours early if you're gonna watch it.
I saw very little. The results are very shocking tome. Good for Tboe,and BK acting like the new Troy?

Avy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you mean during Bruni's run?
He mentioned Loic was wearing "special alcantara palmed gloves" He didn't mention any brand though. Loic's gloves appeared to be plain white with no discernable logos. and Alcantara is soft grippy suede material often used in gaming wheels. So maybe something new from Fox if he's still riding in Fox kit?

TBH I'd quite like it if the commentry did go into riders kit and equipment choices a bit more. including the odd bit of speculation and rumour. Warner was quite good at that without any of the blatantly obvious product placement Claudio and Pagey crowbarred in. Geniune nerdy tit bits of info we'd be interested in. Shit the new viewers (if there actually are any) probably wouldn't. Them explaining the basics of DH as a sport to newbs during the first GCN presentations was dire. nowhere near as bad as at Worlds tho.
With the new format there's around 5 hours of airtime to be filled over the weekend and there's only so much to say with limited camera placement and a most riders on the exact same lines and (to the untrained eye) going pretty much the same speed.

Cedric kept mentioning that certain riders "bikes were working really well" on runs where people were falling seconds behind each check (before rain). Wasn't paying enough attention to see if those were all a specific brand.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cedric kept mentioning that certain riders "bikes were working really well" on runs where people were falling seconds behind each check (before rain). Wasn't paying enough attention to see if those were all a specific brand.
Cedric parle la grosse merde

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
"suh_kurr"
Yes, yes - here on a forum for a sport where most of us spend more on our hobby than we will to send our kids to college, I'm the sucker. You do buy tires for your bike, right? You don't feel like a sucker when you shell out $100+ per tire? I sure do.

(But seriously, buy 'em used and drive the shit out of them. Goes for any sports car.)

wow the guy who grew up in andorra as the brat child of a vinyard empire may not be the most astute observer?
I never knew that. Makes sense. Andorra being an income tax haven also adds to the picture.

I will say that I saw Gracia as a Junior racing in 1995 (Worlds, some other races) and he was super, super fast on that old Sunn. He's also a demon on skis.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Weather moved in for the XC race today, and as usual it's the race to watch on a World Cup weekend.

Gary, cross country is where they ride the bikes down and up but without a motor.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Talking of XC. I'm watching XCO right now and Ric is actually pretty good at XC comentary and a good match for Bart in the booth. Josh Carson trackside not so much. No doubt they'll have someone even worse in the finish area later.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
OMG what a fucking machine. Clawing his way to 4th place from the back then patiently waiting to absolutely destroy Sarou in the last 40sec for third. Not sure if he was being a dick or not when he was called to the podium and went straight to a frosty Sarou (4th) to ask where to stand for 3rd place :rofl:

Here @buckoW a suggestion for the XC engineers at Scott.
1693149951092.png

Seen racers fit a tube and inflate it trackside in amateur XC racing quicker than some of these WC pit "mechanics" can swap a wheel.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
IDK. I fell asleep during the women's XC, saw the end tho. And then went back to bed for the mens. TBF, that's like 6am my time after a good night out.

Now GCN+ doesn't have the replay yet.

Turning on MX now. The latest race from Belgium or Netherlands. See, I still can't get it right. :D

Practicing turns in my driveway with the kid as soon as I wake up for realz.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You don't feel like a sucker when you shell out $100+ per tire? I sure do.
You really don't want to know the answer to that. You could have picked any other wear item on a bike but that one......I don't think I paid full price (if paying at all) for a tire after about 2010.

I don't even ride the things any more but I can tell you that's the same price as dirtbike tires with about 20 times the material.

the whole industry has lost its mind

the new golf is just too lucrative

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
OMG what a fucking machine. Clawing his way to 4th place from the back then patiently waiting to absolutely destroy Sarou in the last 40sec for third. Not sure if he was being a dick or not when he was called to the podium and went straight to a frosty Sarou (4th) to ask where to stand for 3rd place :rofl:

Here @buckoW a suggestion for the XC engineers at Scott.
View attachment 199583

Seen racers fit a tube and inflate it trackside in amateur XC racing quicker than some of these WC pit "mechanics" can swap a wheel.
I saw a video of someone doing a wheel swap, on a bike that had a bolt on axle.

Dude used a battery powered drill or impact driver to remove said axle....and zipped it right back in with the drill. So many things could go wrong in that situation, ruining that persons race. Why not just use a quick release axle?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
He has a point Gary. Fucking Joke at this level. I don’t like this stupid rose. How many times have we seen the Wrench just look like a Rookie? There is no exuse for this clusterfuck wheel change. If ya gonna put a fucking meme up,than make it a good one.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I saw a video of someone doing a wheel swap, on a bike that had a bolt on axle.

Dude used a battery powered drill or impact driver to remove said axle....and zipped it right back in with the drill. So many things could go wrong in that situation, ruining that persons race. Why not just use a quick release axle?
If it's simply a cordless drill I don't really see an issue there at all. if used by a competent mechanic who's at least practiced the procedure and has the corredt hex bit for his team's bikes it should be quick and straightforward. But these guys are taking 50sec+ to swap a wheel over leaving their contending rider a huge deficit and many places to claw back to reach the sharp end again. Happened in World Champs in the Women's race too.

You don't have to read this Woo

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
He has a point Gary. Fucking Joke at this level. I don’t like this stupid rose. How many times have we seen the Wrench just look like a Rookie? There is no exuse for this clusterfuck wheel change. If ya gonna put a fucking meme up,than make it a good one.

Avy
Yeah. same point I was making ya blind cunt

The rose was sent as consolation for Woo having to read about anything involving spandex

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It got wet. That's it really
I think this was more meant to comment that many riders lost a ton of time even from the ones that rode it in the dry. A few people were -0.5-0.9 on Vidal and other hot seat people and then lost it. There must be some part of the track there where some people gained a lot of time.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Yes, yes - here on a forum for a sport where most of us spend more on our hobby than we will to send our kids to college, I'm the sucker. You do buy tires for your bike, right? You don't feel like a sucker when you shell out $100+ per tire? I sure do.

(But seriously, buy 'em used and drive the shit out of them. Goes for any sports car.)

I never knew that. Makes sense. Andorra being an income tax haven also adds to the picture.

I will say that I saw Gracia as a Junior racing in 1995 (Worlds, some other races) and he was super, super fast on that old Sunn. He's also a demon on skis.
Andorra is a gem expensive to get there but Maxxis tires are $50 in the shop at the mountain, lift tickets are $20, Beer wine and food is pennies on the dollar. The season passes in the winter are $199. I couldn't believe a place like that exists.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Andorra is a gem expensive to get there but Maxxis tires are $50 in the shop at the mountain, lift tickets are $20, Beer wine and food is pennies on the dollar. The season passes in the winter are $199. I couldn't believe a place like that exists.
I haven't been to Morzine in a while but isn't Morzine cheaper in terms of hotels at least? Always seemed like hotels are a fair bit more there but it may be skewed by the fact only my rich af friends went there.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I haven't been to Morzine in a while but isn't Morzine cheaper in terms of hotels at least? Always seemed like hotels are a fair bit more there but it may be skewed by the fact only my rich af friends went there.
I haven't been to morzine but I would be surprised if it was cheaper. Heineken was $2 at the Bar in Andorra:sarcastic: