Quantcast

Are We Witnessing the Death of Self-Powered Cycling?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I really doubt anyone who is honest with themselves has done a ride on an e-bike and actually hated it, provided they rode a decent one. The fun ratios on those things is right up there.
*Raises hand*
Didn't think it was fun. But maybe it was the combination of motor, 29" wheels, 2.8 tires and 25 kg, so basically all the things that made this bike a barge and that I therefore hate. The acceleration sure was nice, but if I ride something that handles like a motorcycle then I want the power of a motorcycle. A Sur Ron-style small motorcycle sounds much more appealing than any of the pedal assist bikes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Really? Fair play I guess. I kinda started out racing on >20kg DH bikes, so jumping on something that weighs that much but has infinitely better handling, suspension and grip and can climb easier than a 10kg XC bike makes them seem pretty good for a laugh. But I'm just a bike dork who enjoys anything on two wheels from 50cc pit bikes and BMXs all the way to XC bikes, DH bikes and road motos.

I wonder whats gonna happen in the long term with parts and batteries and stuff though. Will they be repairable etc? Do the batteries get weaker over time like every other battery made? That sorta stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
*Raises hand*
Didn't think it was fun. But maybe it was the combination of motor, 29" wheels, 2.8 tires and 25 kg, so basically all the things that made this bike a barge and that I therefore hate. The acceleration sure was nice, but if I ride something that handles like a motorcycle then I want the power of a motorcycle. A Sur Ron-style small motorcycle sounds much more appealing than any of the pedal assist bikes.
Really? Fair play I guess. I kinda started out racing on >20kg DH bikes, so jumping on something that weighs that much but has infinitely better handling, suspension and grip and can climb easier than a 10kg XC bike makes them seem pretty good for a laugh. But I'm just a bike dork who enjoys anything on two wheels from 50cc pit bikes and BMXs all the way to XC bikes, DH bikes and road motos.

I wonder whats gonna happen in the long term with parts and batteries and stuff though. Will they be repairable etc? Do the batteries get weaker over time like every other battery made? That sorta stuff.
great suspension doesn't change the fact that a 45lb bike is still a 45lb bike.

1617673191984.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is there a 45lb ebike?

One that's worth a shit? The longer travel levos are still 60lbs or so right?
My Shuttle is close to that if with sane tires iirc

I do not run sane tires

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
yer dh bike sucked, lol
Yep. Every DH bike in in 1996 to 2003 did if you want to be realistic about them. I can't think of any that wouldn't be hopeless if you raced them back to back with a modern bike

great suspension doesn't change the fact that a 45lb bike is still a 45lb bike.
Well no, but a motor sure as hell makes it more fun if have to ride a bike that heavy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yep. Every DH bike in in 1996 to 2003 did if you want to be realistic about them. I can't think of any that wouldn't be hopeless if you raced them back to back with a modern bike

Well no, but a motor sure as hell makes it more fun if have to ride a bike that heavy.
1996 sure. Because even the dh bikes had less travel than a modern trail bike

2003 no way

My Shuttle is close to that if with sane tires iirc

I do not run sane tires
140mm travel, with tires that you shred

so the answer to my question is no?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
1996 sure. Because even the dh bikes had less travel than a modern trail bike

2003 no way
My 2002 DH bike was a Craftworks DHR208. Easily 45lbs of shitty geo, dodgy damping and crappy brakes. You're forgetting the 5th Element was considered a shock back then. I think in 2004 I got my first of the square tube Turner DHRs but even that had a crazy steep HA and a Romic shock.

180570_10150106876606977_2741340_n.jpg

78229_474347156976_1446143_o.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My 2002 DH bike was a Craftworks DHR208. Easily 45lbs of shitty geo, dodgy damping and crappy brakes. You're forgetting the 5th Element was considered a shock back then. I think in 2004 I got my first of the square tube Turner DHRs but even that had a crazy steep HA and a Romic shock.

View attachment 158662

View attachment 158663
I'm not forgetting shit, your dh bike just sucked :rofl:

They sold that same frame here with azonic and khs stickers on it. I do know them.

You may have considered a 5th element a good shock, I just considered it an attempt at putting bandaids on first gen V10s and sundays.

Dem DHRs was drillable!

I had a specialized dh with a betd link that dropped the bb and slacked it. It still could have gone further but to say that it's inferior to a 150-160mm trailbike with flexy ass wheels is still just wrong. No fox 36 or equivalent is as stiff as even a white brothers UD180/200. Strong wheels will always be strong wheels and dh casings were mostly the same as they are now, just better rubber these days.

No question it was way harder to find a good dh bike back then than it is to find a good trailbike these days. But let's not forget that a lot of that weight was there for structural reasons.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I just wish they would call them what they are - motorcycles.
You can try to parse it anyway you want with any interpretation you want, but in the end, if it has a motor, it is a motorcycle.

At this point, I have no interest in them, but at 57 this year, I can see a time not too distant that I will be all over the concept. Until that time, you will find me on my bicycle.

I'll get me coat.
As a motorcycle rider, primarily of the dirt type, I don't accept them as a motorcycle or bike.
They are a moped, like a Vespa....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Four of the best places I've ever ridden mountainbikes (Crested Butte, Monarch Crest, Downieville, Sun Valley/Stanley) are on god damn moto trails. In fact they blow away the shitty flow trails that your generic MTB group builds.

At some point we (the royal we) gotta get the fuck over this motorized mechanized my use is better than your use bullshit. Good trails is good trails. I'll continue to make fun of jeans visorless fullface guy on ebike, pit viper fanny pack endurobro, and chunky monkey leg out guy on a ktm 300 but who gives a fuck. We can all hate monied equestrians together. And our hatred is more effective as a rolling group. :)

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i didn't read any of the (sincerely argued, i'm sure) pro/con crap you pricks spewed in the previous posts.

i'm just here for my monthly

FUCK EBIKES

check in.

pedal til you can't. if you have a physical disability, ride your ebike. if you ride an ebike without one, i hope you have to go to a team robot jesus camp for a thousand eternities.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i didn't read any of the (sincerely argued, i'm sure) pro/con crap you pricks spewed in the previous posts.

i'm just here for my monthly

FUCK EBIKES

check in.

pedal til you can't. if you have a physical disability, ride your ebike. if you ride an ebike without one, i hope you have to go to a team robot jesus camp for a thousand eternities.
do mental defficiencies count? Asking for a friend typing this right now.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
do mental defficiencies count? Asking for a friend typing this right now.
you should probably just send it to be sure.

but in case you don't....

DiD yOu GeT iN tWo PoInT fIvE mOaR hOtLaPz At YoUr LoCaL eNdUrOpArK (tm)?????? DiD yOu FeEl 34% fReShEr FoR mOrE mEaSuRaBlE gAiNzzzzzzzz?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
would never buy a husky. former coworker had a brand new dual sport from them and it burned to the ground on the side of the road 2 weeks after he bought it.
Was that before or after ktm bought them?
Because post ktm purchase they are the same bike...
Aside from linkage, plastics, and the Husqvarna has a "composite" sub frame.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
My buddy thinks Shimano will eventually develop a gearbox that shares the same mount interface as their ebike motor, so bike manufacturers can sell one frame design as either a regular MTB or an ebike.

At this point, I'm ok sharing trails with ebikes (legal in AZ) as long as the riders at least observe trail etiquette. I would welcome them if they come out to help us dig/maintain trails, but that's yet to happen and I probably shouldn't be holding my breath.

The pandemic cyclists, whether they are on non- or motorized bikes, have been rather unruly in my little community. Leaving their traces in various forms, letting us know of their presence on the trails - cheater rock ramps in front of curb-sized steps, 10-foot long skids, Strava shortcuts, etc. I noticed yesterday a little cactus we used to gap over got killed by one of those guys when he plowed through it.

Our trails used to be very confusing and new riders generally had to go out with experienced riders on LBS group rides and such, where they got basic trail education. But now that they are well-marked and GPS apps readily available, many newbies seem to prefer heading out with their noob buddies and "shred" without getting their style cramped.

I'm for advocacy and all, but it's only effective if people are actually willing to listen. Those who are have already reached out to the local club. Others, the ones causing the problems, from what I've seen, they might as well be deaf and I highly doubt they would change their behaviors without some negative incentives handed out by LEOs, which probably won't happen anytime soon as the local BLM office is shorthanded.

TL-DR: I hate people.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My buddy thinks Shimano will eventually develop a gearbox that shares the same mount interface as their ebike motor, so bike manufacturers can sell one frame design as either a regular MTB or an ebike.

At this point, I'm ok sharing trails with ebikes (legal in AZ) as long as the riders at least observe trail etiquette. I would welcome them if they come out to help us dig/maintain trails, but that's yet to happen and I probably shouldn't be holding my breath.

The pandemic cyclists, whether they are on non- or motorized bikes, have been rather unruly in my little community. Leaving their traces in various forms, letting us know of their presence on the trails - cheater rock ramps in front of curb-sized steps, 10-foot long skids, Strava shortcuts, etc. I noticed yesterday a little cactus we used to gap over got killed by one of those guys when he plowed through it.

Our trails used to be very confusing and new riders generally had to go out with experienced riders on LBS group rides and such, where they got basic trail education. But now that they are well-marked and GPS apps readily available, many newbies seem to prefer heading out with their noob buddies and "shred" without getting their style cramped.

I'm for advocacy and all, but it's only effective if people are actually willing to listen. Those who are have already reached out to the local club. Others, the ones causing the problems, from what I've seen, they might as well be deaf and I highly doubt they would change their behaviors without some negative incentives handed out by LEOs, which probably won't happen anytime soon as the local BLM office is shorthanded.

bike industry:

sell more bikes
doesn't build more trails

1617719217419.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
they did have a gearbox related patent that surfaced like 2 years ago

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
DH and Freeride are not self powered forms of cycling either. Just because we're getting older doesn't mean we gotta to be so whiney.

i didn't read any of the (sincerely argued, i'm sure) con crap you pricks spewed in the previous posts.

i'm just here for my cuntly....

FUCK fat bikes, gravel bikes and steel hardtail BIKES

check in.

pedal til you can pretend it was awesome. if you have a mental disability, argue with people. if you ride an bike slowly without excuses, i hope you have to go to a team robot jesus camp for a thousand eternities.
Ride more DH

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DH and Freeride are not self powered forms of cycling either. Just because we're getting older doesn't mean we gotta to be so whiney.

Ride more DH
I thought freeride was, otherwise, it's just DH, right? Freeride was supposed to be where you had to get yourself back up?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
quality bike designs + weights in the low 30s = ebikes will be everywhere.

Honestly I think I'd be more open to an ebike if it had a more limited assist with MUCH less weight/clunk. Take the worst of the worst off, not the work of the climb, and add minimum weight.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Now imagine what happens in a cramped urban area with 5 mil. people and only 1/2 dozen legal riding spots or so.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry/not sorry but e-bikes are fun. I think some of you are worried you'll like it too much if you could actually try one with an open mind. And I can't say I blame you - a good e-bike is pretty addictive. And "good" keeps getting better, and will keep getting better for a long time.

Sure there are jerks on e-bikes, and sure the world would be a better place if everyone knew and followed better etiquette (on the trails and beyond). But there are jerks on every form of two-wheeled fun. If there's a problem, it's not the bike itself.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sorry/not sorry but e-bikes are fun. I think some of you are worried you'll like it too much if you could actually try one with an open mind. And I can't say I blame you - a good e-bike is pretty addictive. And "good" keeps getting better, and will keep getting better for a long time.

Sure there are jerks on e-bikes, and sure the world would be a better place if everyone knew and followed better etiquette (on the trails and beyond). But there are jerks on every form of two-wheeled fun. If there's a problem, it's not the bike itself.
amen.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I'm just waiting for the unnecessary cranks to disappear

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

Honestly I think I'd be more open to an ebike if it had a more limited assist with MUCH less weight/clunk. Take the worst of the worst off, not the work of the climb, and add minimum weight.
the orbea rise is like 38lbs? Levo SL is 39? thats only 4lbs heavier than my smash......ebikes be closer than you think.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yep. The other big thing I think will happen is eventually someone will harness a decent hybrid drive that can capture brake energy and significantly extend the distance of a ride for someone that uses minimal assist or just for the steepest parts.