Quantcast

Are We Witnessing the Death of Self-Powered Cycling?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
An average male adult on a 50lb 70-90nm mid range motor Emtb should get around 4000ft of elevation from a 500wh battery in trail mode whether that elevation is over 10 miles or 25miles.
Range will increase if climbing slowly or using Eco. But decrease if using boost, going faster or riding in wet, harder going or super steep terrain.
Derestricting the motor or using the US 20MPH assistance limit will also decrease range a fair bit from the UK/EU 15mph limit.

This isn't going to change any time soon. New more efficient Battery cell technology will not be implemented in Emtbs for many years yet.

Now STFU and ride your quaint antique mtbs with your heads back in the sand.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
An average male adult on a 50lb 70-90nm mid range motor Emtb should get around 4000ft of elevation from a 500wh battery in trail mode whether that elevation is over 10 miles or 25miles.
Range will increase if climbing slowly or using Eco. But decrease if using boost, going faster or riding in wet, harder going or super steep terrain.
Derestricting the motor or using the US 20MPH assistance limit will also decrease range a fair bit from the UK/EU 15mph limit.

This isn't going to change any time soon. New more efficient Battery cell technology will not be implemented in Emtbs for many years yet.

Now STFU and ride your quaint antique mtbs with your heads back in the sand.
Hey Gary, can you convert that into leagues per haggis?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I remember the time when similar threads about 29ers popped up on here. "I am just curious....never will buy one..."
Now all of you are fucking riding one. So now take an educated guess how that will go with e-bikes... :disgust1:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've heard from local eMTB owners that they are very limited by battery range for the bigger rides on offer here. I don't think full day backcountry ride dudes are the target market though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I remember the time when similar threads about 29ers popped up on here. "I am just curious....never will buy one..."
Now all of you are fucking riding one. So now take an educated guess how that will go with e-bikes... :disgust1:
as I said with 29ers... I’m not ready to retire just yet. Check back in 20 years.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Once IMBA has smoothened all the trails sufficiently, they'll be able to setup a transmission network above them and your e-bike can charge like a street tram as it rides around.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I think the last mtb I had with more than 1 chainring was my yeti arc, and that hasn't been built up in probably 5-6 years.
Still running 3x9 on the hardtail and 2x10 on the Turner. Admittedly I should have built the Turner with 1x10 and would have been fine. I'm still not sold on the 24" crash cymbals for cassettes yet, but I haven't been on a ride with the YT yet that I wished I was dead and relying on it, either.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Back into business, I don't see electric skateboards or electric surfboards taking over their acoustic counterparts, and those have been out in the field much longer than ebikes...

Now, the 29er menace IS REAL, I'M TELLING YOU, THEY'RE COMING FOR US!!! :tinfoil:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still running 3x9 on the hardtail and 2x10 on the Turner. Admittedly I should have built the Turner with 1x10 and would have been fine. I'm still not sold on the 24" crash cymbals for cassettes yet, but I haven't been on a ride with the YT yet that I wished I was dead and relying on it, either.
Aside from xc, all my mtbs have been 1x since at least 2010.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've seen a lot of ebikers last time I was out in russel mill. I'll be honest- I don't get it. The trails around here are shit. Why would you want the ability to do an additional three laps of the same shitty trail? I get it where there are actual mountains and your days are spent grinding to the top in order to turn around and have fun on the downs, but out here average speed is like 6 mph and a heavier bike, even if it provides power, is only going to hurt you in the technical sections. I feel the same way about e-road bikes- why would I want the ability to get even further from home when I'm out by myself? It makes sense to ride quickly to work and commute on, but you'll be faster than anybody else in a group ride and instead of 30 miles out, you'll be 60, so what happens when you get a flat?

strokes for folks I guess, but this screams cash grab by the industry. I think NEMBA officially prohibits ebikes but that doesn't prevent the herbs from doing it, I guess.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've seen a lot of ebikers last time I was out in russel mill. I'll be honest- I don't get it. The trails around here are shit. Why would you want the ability to do an additional three laps of the same shitty trail? I get it where there are actual mountains and your days are spent grinding to the top in order to turn around and have fun on the downs, but out here average speed is like 6 mph and a heavier bike, even if it provides power, is only going to hurt you in the technical sections. I feel the same way about e-road bikes- why would I want the ability to get even further from home when I'm out by myself? It makes sense to ride quickly to work and commute on, but you'll be faster than anybody else in a group ride and instead of 30 miles out, you'll be 60, so what happens when you get a flat?

strokes for folks I guess, but this screams cash grab by the industry. I think NEMBA officially prohibits ebikes but that doesn't prevent the herbs from doing it, I guess.
:stupid:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It's not about whatever wheelsize, how many chainrings you have, or don't have, neither if you have a battery and a motor or not. It's about the ride, being out and having fun.
It's easy to fall for polarisation in this time of so called social media. It's also easy to fall for the marketing mermaids.

Stay true and have fun, brothers! :dirol:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It's not about whatever wheelsize, how many chainrings you have, or don't have, neither if you have a battery and a motor or not. It's about the ride, being out and having fun.
It's easy to fall for polarisation in this time of so called social media. It's also easy to fall for the marketing mermaids.

Whaaat
I thought it was about physically punishing yourself, getting faster, and spending too much money on new parts to try.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like to refer to mine as the Crow Sandwich
:think:

While I agree on most fronts, it's just super weird to see people out on $7k bikes who just don't seem remotely into the sport. Like, we have 4 square miles of legal riding area...you need to bring that thing here? I dunno, maybe I'm being obtuse and unsupportive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

the trails closest to my house (7 minutes) are so mediocre (and describing them as mediocre is generous) i haven't ridden then in like a year. same deal. people on ebikes just to "get more laps".

i have found myself wondering if my perspective is simply skewed, after years and years of DH (and riding in general), what my idea of technical / difficult riding seems to be way different than what many local (read: non-dh) riders consider difficult. one of my local trails that i'd rate maybe 3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale, i was chatting with a guy the other weekend and he was talking about how he needs to work his way back up to them because of "how hard they are". i usually do a 15 mile loop at those trails in a bit over 2 hours.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
the trails closest to my house (7 minutes) are so mediocre (and describing them as mediocre is generous) i haven't ridden then in like a year. same deal. people on ebikes just to "get more laps".

i have found myself wondering if my perspective is simply skewed, after years and years of DH (and riding in general), what my idea of technical / difficult riding seems to be way different than what many local (read: non-dh) riders consider difficult. one of my local trails that i'd rate maybe 3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale, i was chatting with a guy the other weekend and he was talking about how he needs to work his way back up to them because of "how hard they are". i usually do a 15 mile loop at those trails in a bit over 2 hours.
Agreed – definitely seen this in my experience too! I think it's fairly cake-like, others seriously struggle. Apparently there's a term for it in psychology: Dunning-Kruger Effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Ha! See? That's one of the advantages of living in a third world country, with rampant inflation and local currency depreciation! We only have to deal with gravel grinders and asshats tethering their dogs to their bikes! No battery powered mopeds in our local trails!!!*

* OTOH, We can't buy spare parts or even decent tires.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I don't know, these "newbies" probably just want to try their new toy, feel #yolo and put some pictures on social media! :brows:
And of course, they don't share the taste of challenge that seasoned veterans have. I have had many friends crashing when trying mountain biking with me... still I have difficulties picturing what is challenging for a newbies :cool: