Quantcast

Another New car thread....suggestions?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I need an econobox to get back and forth to work, I just sold my subaru impreza (2 door RS).

1. It must get 35+ mpg, closer to 40mpg the better
2. 4 doors
3. Prefer a hatch/wagon so I can fold the back seats down and easily stuff my bike in it.
4. Manual transmission. It must be available with a manual transmission.
5. $20k price tag.
6. New car w/warranty.

Currently I am leaning towards a new Ford Focus, I can get X plan pricing, manual trans, heated leather, all sorts of other fancy jazz, 36-40 mpg on the highway (a buddy is getting 36 combined on his commute) and get out the door under 21 or 22k and I like the styling of the car.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Focus with leather? Isn't that like putting $2k wheels on a $500 Pinto?

The Focus is an ok sh!tbox, but don't go crazy with the extras. I personally liked the Fit and have driven a few Yaris's (is that right? Yaris's?) Not sure if the 4 door hatch Yaris is available in the states yet, but the hatch even as a 2 door isn't bad. Both are well above the Ford in overall build quality.

I'm not a big Ford fan, but the Yaris and Fit were both high on my list when before I sole a 2004 Corolla Sport with wicked low miles and a 100k bumper to bumper (zero deductible) warranty. I dig my Corolla.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Focus with leather? Isn't that like putting $2k wheels on a $500 Pinto?

but the hatch even as a 2 door isn't bad. Both are well above the Ford in overall build quality.

I'm not a big Ford fan, but the Yaris and Fit were both high on my list when before I sole a 2004 Corolla Sport with wicked low miles and a 100k bumper to bumper (zero deductible) warranty. I dig my Corolla.
I drive 26,000 Miles a year just back and forth to work, that doesn't include errands, weekend trips, etc., I spend a lot of time in my car, I want heated leather seats. It's not an option to be honest.

2 door hatch is not an option, taking the kids to school in a 2 door is a pain in my ass, I want a 4 door.

Have you sat in or driven a new ford car recently?

They are one of my customers, so I am able to get supplier discount, and, I have been to multiple Ford events through work where I was able to drive their newer vehicles, the quality is pretty good.

I consider the yaris and fit to be more on par with the fiesta, which is a true ****box econocar

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
2012 impreza? new engine for the year, mileage bumps to 27/36.
Would love to consider one, but I don't think in terms of mileage and sticker price it'll fit into what I wanted to spend. There is a suby dealer right around the corner from my office though, I'll have to swing by at lunch today.

Not sure why, but I didn't realize the subaru was on par with the pricing of the focus. I guess that is because I am always looking at the WRX and STi models. I enjoyed my Impreza RS, I also didn't think that the new impreza was that high on the mileage meter.....it's dead nuts with the focus on fueleconomy.gov

I do like the option for AWD, it saves me from having to drive my truck on "bad" snowdays.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you have your heart set on the focus....any other suggestion seems pointless.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my buddy is a sales man for Ford dealer in town, he said he would sell me a fiesta if I wanted one, but that the 2-3k sticker extra on the Focus was money well spent even for a commuter car.
I do like the new focus, but the fiesta is supposed to be a great small car. I guess it depends if you can fit into one.

What about the mazdas? The three, or even 2 if you want a small car.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I do like the new focus, but the fiesta is supposed to be a great small car. I guess it depends if you can fit into one.

What about the mazdas? The three, or even 2 if you want a small car.
I like the mazda 3, I will take a look at it. *edit* Highway mileage on the Mazda is only rated at 33 mpg, with as many miles as I drive for work I am really trying to step it up over 35 mpg.

The fiesta is a bit small, and has a lot more road noise then the focus according to my buddy, plus it is marginally cheaper, mileage is only marginally better, so it kinda got ruled out on those attributes alone. But I will drive one tonight when I stop in to look at the focus again.

so far the impreza and the focus have my eye.

Jetta Sportwagen with a TDi is a hair over my ideal price range, but with a diesel it's 42 mpg highway, gonna have to break out the excel spreadsheets and see if it's reasonable overall expense to go diesel.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
:stupid:

As long as you put 32" wheels on it to go with your heated leather seats. :rofl:

New Fords are nice, but talk to me in 2 years. They fall apart quick.
says my 2000 F350 with 205,000 miles on it that I am driving daily since my car sold.....or my girlfriends 2000 explorer with 122,000 miles that she drives.

I used to despise Ford. A lot of people that I know have them, and have very high mileage cars.

On the other hand I had 150k on my subaru and it was burning a quart of oil every 400 miles and was maintained exactly to the service manual frequencies and was documented.

I'm not really interested in saying this car is better than that car. I have a set criteria I posted in my original post and I am looking at all options that fit within that criteria. I enjoy car shopping, and I enjoy cars, I have no problem going out and test driving cars, and there is quite possibly an option out there I have not considered. Hence the reason I started the thread.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
For what it's worth, a guy I know on another forum drives an M3. His wife just got a Focus and he's a huge fan of it. He recently had a Fiesta as a rental and didn't like it nearly as much. He though the extra money for the Focus was well spent.

If I was shopping for something new now, a Ford of some sort would probably be a top contender.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Regarding your comment on road noise: You can spend $200 on sound deadening and a day installing, to have a notably quieter car. Also make sure whatever car you get can take hitch rack and/or has a regitimate mounting system for a roof rack. A lot of lower end cars don't have those options available, even after market.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Regarding your comment on road noise: You can spend $200 on sound deadening and a day installing, to have a notably quieter car. Also make sure whatever car you get can take hitch rack and/or has a regitimate mounting system for a roof rack. A lot of lower end cars don't have those options available, even after market.
Regarding road noise, you can spend 5 cents on a nail and gouge out your ear drums, then you'll never have to listen to a damn thing again.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
At this point I'm not overly concerned with rack options.

A roof rack dropped the mpg in my grand prix 2-3 mpg highway, and a total of 10 mpg highway with a bike on it.

Hitch rack maybe, but roof rack won't happen, I have a truck that if I keep my foot out of the gas will get 20 mpg and I can haul the whole bike store.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
For what it's worth, a guy I know on another forum drives an M3. His wife just got a Focus and he's a huge fan of it. He recently had a Fiesta as a rental and didn't like it nearly as much. He though the extra money for the Focus was well spent.

If I was shopping for something new now, a Ford of some sort would probably be a top contender.
yeah I have honestly heard nothing but good.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
What about a Honda Civic HF. Starts at 19,500 and gets in the 40s highway, although a little lower in town.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/civic-hf.aspx

As far as the VW, I would proceed with caution due to reliability issues. I have had 2 mates purchase the Rabbit and Golfs recently and have had nothing but issues with turbos, electrical and just breaking down. My buddy just sold the Rabbit Turbo with 21,000 miles on it because it was in the shop more than he drove it. I know its all luck of the draw sometimes with vehicles. Some reliable cars fail, and vice versa. Look at me, I have owned nothing but jeeps and no major issues with breaking down and reliability.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
dirtrider i have seriously shopped jetta's a hundred times and always walked away due to the reliability concerns...so I dunno.

I do work on my cars myself once out of warranty periods, so ease of repair, readily available parts, and a common car is nice to have for ease of troubleshooting.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have been pretty happy with my 2010 Focus SE sedan. I currently have 55k miles on it (bought in new in 3/11), and have been pretty happy with it. Definitely a cheap car (loud, cheap interior, limited bells and whistles), but it's been reliable and hasn't let me down yet. Originally I got it just thinking I would be using it for commuting to/from work (50mi each way), but the improved ride over my Jeep and 1/3 the fuel consumption made me want to drive it nearly all the time. That said, next spring I'm going to be looking into trading it in and getting a 2012 Focus wagon. Since I use it as my primary vehicle, I'd like the extra versatility/space of the wagon. Not to mention the newer Focus' look a million times nicer.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have been pretty happy with my 2010 Focus SE sedan. I currently have 55k miles on it (bought in new in 3/11), and have been pretty happy with it. Definitely a cheap car (loud, cheap interior, limited bells and whistles), but it's been reliable and hasn't let me down yet. Originally I got it just thinking I would be using it for commuting to/from work (50mi each way), but the improved ride over my Jeep and 1/3 the fuel consumption made me want to drive it nearly all the time. That said, next spring I'm going to be looking into trading it in and getting a 2012 Focus wagon. Since I use it as my primary vehicle, I'd like the extra versatility/space of the wagon. Not to mention the newer Focus' look a million times nicer.
I test drove a 2010 sedan from my buddy for 2 days last time I needed a car, he told me the 2012 is a better car in a million different ways, and I thought the 2010 was pretty nice for what it is.

I am going iwth the wagon as well, I'd like the extra room for the days I'd like to bike or snowboard after work since those things are on my way home, instead of having to go home, get my stuff, and drive again (I'm 55 miles one way for reference). Or, as is the case with a bike ride after work I currently have to drive my truck, unload the bike so I can fit in the parking garage, bring bike into office for theft reasons ( i am just outside Detroit, and by just I mean I can see hookers and crackheads from my office ) so the wagon would be better for that as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
have had both a new focus and a new mazda 3 as rentals recently. focus was miles better, both in terms of the drive and the interior quality. i was really impressed. only thing i didn't really like was the audio system interface. wife and i both owned vw's (passats, albeit a 2002 and a 2003). great while they were working properly. advise ditching at around 80K miles though. hondas I've had have not had as nice a finish, overall feel was always somewhat insubstantial (that thin sheet metal sound when you shut the door rather than a solid "thunk," and the road noise was annoying. haven't been in a new fit, though, so can't comment. but main point: yes, new focus gets a thumbs up from me.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Have you checked out the Cadillac CTS-V wagon? Aside from no AWD, it does have the 6 speed manual. Once you drive one, you'll stop thinking about fuel economy concerns.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Have you checked out the Cadillac CTS-V wagon? Aside from no AWD, it does have the 6 speed manual. Once you drive one, you'll stop thinking about fuel economy concerns.
The asks for a $20k car that gets good mileage and you suggest a $60k that gets 16mpg?

He might forget about the crappy mileage for the first honeymoon week, but he'll be painfully reminded every week after when he fills up. Probably 2x a week at 16mpg

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
lol

I'd love a new cts-V wagon, I lust over them, but seriously, if I wanted that ****ty of mileage I would drive my f350 daily, and if I was going to do that I wouldn't even burden myself with another car.

The asks for a $20k car that gets good mileage and you suggest a $60k that gets 16mpg?

He might forget about the crappy mileage for the first honeymoon week, but he'll be painfully reminded every week after when he fills up. Probably 2x a week at 16mpg
reading is tough yes? hahaha......

The Honda Fit is out, passed one on my way to go look at the focus, it's ugly.

Drove the Focus last night, I liked it well enough.
Still going to look at the Golf Tdi and the Impreza today.

Guy is supposed to pick my old impreza up on Saturday, so no final decisions will be made until then anyway.