Quantcast

2013 fox 40 hybrid guts in 2023 29" 40, avalanche cart too

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So snagged another M9 as backup now that mines cracking and I still like it..

Had a 2013 fox 40 hybrid and actually love how smooth it is I messed around with it...

Going to see if it will transplant into my fox 40, I'll pull. Whole stanchion and guys and swap over..

It came on the trek 9.9 carbon and can't seem to see a lot of info so if anyone has input, post up.
20230101_165606.jpg
20230101_164930.jpg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think that one has a soft coil spring with an air assist top cap. Was it a blue coil spring and then you add a bit of air pressure to compensate and or tune? Toss your new lowers on there and try it out.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think that one has a soft coil spring with an air assist top cap. Was it a blue coil spring and then you add a bit of air pressure to compensate and or tune? Toss your new lowers on there and try it out.
It works amazing way smoother than mine...should be black spring and yeah it's softer air assist and damping take up the slack....that and the Avy cart would be a badass combo ...

As long as it fits the small weight increase will be worth it...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Very cool! Are the stanchions the same length from the 26" to 29" wheel? I've been kicking around the idea and think Fox last did a 26/27.5 coil 2016/17 for their elite fork. Wondering if it would be retrofittable for my 2020 29" 40? Any knowledge on this?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Identical, even foot nut to top thread are identical...
Should be mines a 29" fox 40...I can check part number on stanchion if it's same part number as mine then yes...I know foot nut and seal kits are identical ...evol system etc...I think chasis is all that changed..

Took it out and mobbed around again and it's badass ..that black spring is not that heavy, air sets my height....pretty excited to run it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Identical, even foot nut to top thread are identical...
Should be mines a 29" fox 40...I can check part number on stanchion if it's same part number as mine then yes...I know foot nut and seal kits are identical ...evol system etc...I think chasis is all that changed..

Took it out and mobbed around again and it's badass ..that black spring is not that heavy, air sets my height....pretty excited to run it.
Thanks!

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
This a great question.

I have the exact same fork am actually in desperate need of new lowers for mine after all these years. Would love to mullet my dh bike. Have actually been running a 27.5 wheel in my 26” lowers for many years.

did you just swap to 29” lowers and nothing else?

I really love the hybrid system personally.

for air volume guidance, you should hit up trek. They used to have it on their suspension set up guide for that year’s trek session 9.9 but it’s gone now…

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
All I did was swap the stanchion and hybrid into mine after triple checking everything...my lowered are 27.5+/29 .
The hybrid was 26, I can take the damper side off and slap it into mine which tells me the lowers can be updated.. as long as width of your crowns is the same which I can measure mine then it should swap....

I'll hit trek up and see if they have an archive for the hybrid, it's a damn good system and badass it just fell into the height of our weight weenie era ..

It dropped almost a lb off the coil version when they did this set up, so it's a bit lighter than the coil and not a huge weight increase over the evo air

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
If anyone can find max psi or break down for the 2012 trek hybrid 40....

Called fox apparently they lost all 2013 and older off server,, risse racing was awesome and gave some direction but no 100%...
I have the complete Fox online tech help from 2005-2013. If it was covered there I got it. Send me an email via PM and you'll get a G Drive share.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't know that existed, looks pretty cool.

My shitty old Kowa 200si(I think) ran hybrid coil air but from memory you just threw a coil in the damper side because the air spring was garbage........along with everything else.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Lol we are headed to tunnels next month ...lol been planning it with a few between work and area 51 and all the other local stuff...

I don't go up, that's where I draw the line. Lol
Come on The Cortinas used to ride their DH bikes up the road......so can you.

1. Bring bells
2. Be nice to those grumpy old women with nothing to do and can't wait to shut those trails down
3. Bring TUBES

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Come on The Cortinas used to ride their DH bikes up the road......so can you.

1. Bring bells
2. Be nice to those grumpy old women with nothing to do and can't wait to shut those trails down
3. Bring TUBES
Lol
Pass on the uphill, yeah one of a few places id consider wearing armor...bell there always, and yeah the hikers there can be emotional...I get there stance and respect there freedom...delt with them off and on there.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I didn't know that existed, looks pretty cool.

My shitty old Kowa 200si(I think) ran hybrid coil air but from memory you just threw a coil in the damper side because the air spring was garbage........along with everything else.
Just did a Sherman (don't do alot of old school anymore by choice).

Crappy air over spring, spring and shafts are stiff and corroded...lots of bind and grind...that's a crappy set up lmao...

@Flo33 yeah saw that but that's a extremely impressive bit of coverage... Appreciate that for sure...
20221231_103652.jpg
20221231_110242.jpg
20221231_105024.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
This a great question.

I have the exact same fork am actually in desperate need of new lowers for mine after all these years. Would love to mullet my dh bike. Have actually been running a 27.5 wheel in my 26” lowers for many years.

did you just swap to 29” lowers and nothing else?

I really love the hybrid system personally.

for air volume guidance, you should hit up trek. They used to have it on their suspension set up guide for that year’s trek session 9.9 but it’s gone now…
The stanchion width on crown is identical...so new lowers will fit...

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Love that they maintained backwards compatibility over all these years!

I'd like to build a 29" full coil 40 later this year, presumably if the stanchion length is the same we can still use an RC2 damper.
Very cool! Are the stanchions the same length from the 26" to 29" wheel? I've been kicking around the idea and think Fox last did a 26/27.5 coil 2016/17 for their elite fork. Wondering if it would be retrofittable for my 2020 29" 40? Any knowledge on this?
Keep us updated if you try it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Love that they maintained backwards compatibility over all these years!

I'd like to build a 29" full coil 40 later this year, presumably if the stanchion length is the same we can still use an RC2 damper.

Keep us updated if you try it.
The stanchions, guts and rc2 will all work...my original was a 27.5. the length is the same on all new stuff and internals 29 lowers gain drop at axle for clearance.
2021+ lowers need 2021+ drop crown and is a 18 OS so you need the newer lower crown as well...it's a damn Lego..

Older stanchions are slightly thicker ID so 40g per stanchion heavier , if you are upgrading to Evol you need newer stanchion due to equalization port for air. All new stanchions are the same as far that port, they make 1 design so it's not side specific.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
With drop crown yes...flat crown allows 7.6" up travel so it'll be in contact. Drop crown allows lowers 8" up travel.
New crowns and old crowns have a different offset..new are 18mm...

So of you have older crowns and a drop crown your good to go...

Last edited: