Quantcast

2013 fox 40 hybrid guts in 2023 29" 40, avalanche cart too

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Are the coil internals compatible with current stanchions?
Yes... This retainer on newer stanchions is .5 mm bigger if memory serves but it goes with the stanchion..so new stanchions new centering ring, also you can slap the whole stanchion assembly into fork all the way up to 2023...i found another bike with the hybrid 40..was going to buy it strip the fork sell off the rest and keep the air side lol.

Only reason I didn't swap it into my new stanchions was I sold the other fork off and it had the Evol set up...new stanchions have a equalization port and set up for Evol and slightly thinner ID....New stanchions are 30g lighter...
Screenshot_20230223_175745_Gallery.jpg
20230102_171513.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So if I were to take the coil assembly let say out of a 2014 40 the internal spacer should fit and then use the current 2020 C-clip?View attachment 189894
Yes it should fit fine....
The main difference is the inside of stanchions ID ..
And only where that retainer ring goes in does it matter.....older stanchions were slightly thicker. So if you have a older centering ring behind the clip, slightly shave it down just a smidge..
newer stanchions are slightly thinner...
The c-clips will fit both stanchions....it's the centering ring is bigger on newer stanchions by .5mm or less...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yes it should fit fine....
The main difference is the inside of stanchions ID ..
And only where that retainer ring goes in does it matter.....older stanchions were slightly thicker. So if you have a older centering ring behind the clip, slightly shave it down just a smidge..
newer stanchions are slightly thinner...
The c-clips will fit both stanchions....it's the centering ring is bigger on newer stanchions by .5mm or less...
perfect! that's exactly what i wanted to know! thx!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Bumping this back up because I'm curious now...

1) Okay, so the threads of the hybrid top match the threads of 2021 stanchions, correct?
2) What's in the air assist tube? Back in the day, I had a Marzocchi 888 Ti coil with an air top cap. Adding air made the fork worse because there was no negative air spring or anything. So how does this one work?
3) The newer 2021 style stanchions use a flat c-ring to hold the air spring assembly in. I think what you're saying above is that will still work with the hybrid coil system, correct?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

1) Okay, so the threads of the hybrid top match the threads of 2021 stanchions, correct?
2) What's in the air assist tube? Back in the day, I had a Marzocchi 888 Ti coil with an air top cap. Adding air made the fork worse because there was no negative air spring or anything. So how does this one work?
3) The newer 2021 style stanchions use a flat c-ring to hold the air spring assembly in. I think what you're saying above is that will still work with the hybrid coil system, correct?
Aside from bull crew I heard the system was not well liked.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The Marz air assist was absolutely horrible. I'm sure this is not the same thing. There would be horrible stiction with the 66 until it started moving...

That said...do you even dual cartridge?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The Marzocchi thing was just an air top cap. As soon as you add any air, stiction galore. I was just wondering what was happening inside that little tube in that Fox hybrid spring. A couple of those hybrid things popped up locally so I started thinking about it.

But then I remembered I'm trying to save money for an O-chain doohickey!!

Dual cartridge?? I'd REALLY need to like a fork before I invested in that.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
How is the single cart from avalanche 300 bucks and the double is 1900 bucks? Ive missed something huge and I dont really know what.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Either you have a sick deal and get both seperately for 600$ (option A), or you fall in the trap of getting both at the same time for 1900$ (option B). Most people often like option B because it's simpler.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Single should be $499 for cart
Dual is also perches, titanium spring and some other stuff.. and I think that's installed...

Or could be option "A" or "B" as @konifere stated lol
$550 I think, and then you need to add HBO to it, so another $89. He might push you to the optional valving thing too, but IME that's not needed.