Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
You guys have any ideas on how to make the 888 bottomout feel as good as the avy hydraulic bottomout? That hydraulic bottomout is the most amzing thing ever. You can do some pretty stupid stuff and never feel a harsh bottomout.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You guys have any ideas on how to make the 888 bottomout feel as good as the avy hydraulic bottomout? That hydraulic bottomout is the most amzing thing ever. You can do some pretty stupid stuff and never feel a harsh bottomout.
It's never really going to be the same because a proper hydraulic bottom out (i.e. damping cone) is going to dissipate the energy, whereas marzocchi-style air volume reduction to control bottom out is essentially just a spring that will store the energy and then return it to the rider on the rebound stroke.

If it's just the clunk that is annoying you though, dropping in some conventional bottom out bumpers (ala Fox, Rockshox - they're just flat rubber discs) will prevent that from happening, and obviously more running more oil will give you more ramp up near the end of stroke.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Has anyone swapped spring/damping to opposite sides? Any noticeable differences?

I'm bummed to hear the black stanchions I'm running are costing me 120grams in weight.
Some ti springs/Black stanchion combos don't work too well, be careful, it's hit and miss.

I don't often use my air valve mod on the spring side to increase spring rate(although a heavier mate is), but every time I bother to compress the air valve it hisses, so good for burping. Doubt it'd help with mid stroke issues too much. As mentioned, heavier spring would be better for this. Does help bottoming resistance though.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Move to Alaska, it's like 40 degrees, raining, and what little snow we have is running into the ocean.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
how does 2010 888 compare to a 08 rc3 ?? just bought a bike with one and i,m lost for tuning it , it also has a clunk not sure if it,s the spring rattling or my settings

also wheres a good source for parts ? i,m in need of the knob that goes on the bottom of the fork on the lefthand side

Last edited:

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
so, anyone that gives a ****.. I now have an x-firm spring, have the preload 2 clicks in from nothing, same on the compression, rebound is 3 clicks from full, and dropped my oil level in the spring side from 200ml to 100ml.. wow. Such a better ride compared to running the standard spring and trying to compensate. I got the steel spring, don't care about the weight, and it is a little stiffer initially but soo much better ramping up, especially into the last third of the travel. I'm 200lbs and the x firm is great. Really glad I did it!!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
the 888 RC3 EVO V2 (left) gets a minor upgrade internally for 2013. Based on rider feedback from their World Cup racers, they adjusted the shim stack to help keep the fork higher in its travel over high speed chatter.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/New-Mountain-Bike-Components-at-Eurobike-2012,4252/2013-Marzocchi-888-Forks,41677/bturman,109

this is relevant to my interests! Does anyone have a 2013-evo model already or knows of a review? Would be cool to know about these new shimz!

Ipsec

Chimp
Oct 24, 2012
Anybody else have a 888 CR? I have one on the way...
Put one on my new 2013 Norco Aurum build back in November.

I've only had 3 days at Highland on it before they closed, and a couple of local shuttle days. But for the price I paid, the fork is awesome.

Once I got a heavier spring for it, it felt much better. Soft and plush in the initial travel, but not too soft or divey. Soaks up bumps pretty well, and not once have I felt like I was running a budget fork.

I'm running maybe 1 click of preload, with 1-2 clicks of compression. Rebound and compression don't have a ton of clicks of adjustment, but having said that, what adjustment there is, there's a fairly noticeable difference in each click.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's great to hear. I debated about a new fork for too long, but I heard so much good about the CR, and it sounds like zokes may go that way with all their dampers in 2014?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can anybody tell me whether their aftermarket fork came with coils or not? I just got my 888 cr and there were no extra coils in the box. I had hoped there would be a heavy spring in there.... anybody have a spare firm spring?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what does the box usually contain? i got stickers and a warning label, no user manual or extra coil springs, just the one installed. The rebound knob is also broken, so I have to call anyways.
its suppose to come with springs iirc and a (useless) generic fork manual...maybe the CR's dont come with them?
the rebound adjustment is on the bottom right? ive heard of a few people with broken compression (on the Evo) knobs since they are on the bottom when bought new

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, the CR has rebound on the bottom on the brake side leg. I'm guessing they just don't come with extra coils as a way to save cash. I can't explain stickers in the box but no coils. I'll see if I can get a replacement knob, kind of disappointed to see it cracked out of the box.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Really?.. I remember quite well that when I bought my 2012 888 that it didn't come with anything apart from some stickers and a owners manual, the fork was bought off the Canadian distributor too... weird.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure if you're serious, since that is probably the most talked-about topic in this thread!

Some think you can use the stock spring with more oil. Others insist you need a firmer spring. Keep reading.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's a 26 page thread and I've been through like 15 pages looking for answers. Lots of talk of ti stuff but I don't have a ti spring. Thanks for the help.

Ipsec

Chimp
Oct 24, 2012
I'm 190 geared up with a firm in my CR, and it's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Never really tried riding with the stock spring, even though the sag seemed to be ok. Just felt too soft and 'divey' to me.

Of course, that observation is based entirely on jumping around on the bike in my house, so take that with whatever sized grain of salt you want.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
okay, sounds like I don't need to step up to the x-firm then, which is fine.

I have zero time on the stock spring, but it feels very squishy.

Apr 25, 2011
Pacific Northwet
I am 195 lbs and a firm was almost not enough, but the extra firm was way to stiff. I now have a 2 stage shim stack put together by Ronnie when he was still at marzocchi to add a little more mid stroke support and it is as good as I can hope for.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm ~190 lbs and I tried the firm (steel) in my 888 EVO V1 all of last season, and it worked OK, but I had zero compression and the VAR back all the way out. It definitely stayed up in its travel well, but I will say it lost a little of the initial stroke butteriness and I only got full travel on maybe 2 occassions. It wasn't bad, but it just bothered me I had the compression all the way out. Switched back to the stock spring and added oil in the coil leg, and it "seems nice" based on parking lot bouncing a couple XC'ish shakedown rides. As OG mentioned, several monkeys have used this trick, and I am hopeful this will provide the balance I'm looking for. In the end, I mainly (selfishly) wish Zoch would've spec'd the stock spring for 185-200 lb riders.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I'm ~190 lbs and I tried the firm (steel) in my 888 EVO V1 all of last season, and it worked OK, but I had zero compression and the VAR back all the way out. It definitely stayed up in its travel well, but I will say it lost a little of the initial stroke butteriness and I only got full travel on maybe 2 occassions. It wasn't bad, but it just bothered me I had the compression all the way out. Switched back to the stock spring and added oil in the coil leg, and it "seems nice" based on parking lot bouncing a couple XC'ish shakedown rides. As OG mentioned, several monkeys have used this trick, and I am hopeful this will provide the balance I'm looking for. In the end, I mainly (selfishly) wish Zoch would've spec'd the stock spring for 185-200 lb riders.
At your weight I would definitely be running the firm spring, but the stock high speed valving is quite firm and I often hear people report the same kind things you mention, ie struggling to reach full travel/harsh on bumps.

If you are confident removing the damper and changing the compression stack, I would highly recommend removing at least 1 shim (less overall damping), or replace the middle 17mm x 0.2mm shim with a 13 x 0.15mm spacer shim to turn it in to a 2 stage stack. This set up (firm spring + 2 stage stack) gives much better grip and allows you to use full travel without giving up any support.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Thanks for the insight, and I suspect the modification you suggested would probably be the optimal set up for me, but I have serious reservations about my ability to do anything to a damper cart other than turn knobs. Based on your description, it sounds like thats basically what Ronnie did to an earlier posters fork, so I may see if I can work something out like that. That being said, I am philosophically opposed to using less shimz...This is RM afterall, and the only way to properly address damping issues is via moar shimz.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just adding my experience with spring weight here. I am about 190 lbs or so on an EVO Ti. The stock spring and oil levels were a little too soft and I was bottoming out harshly on bigger hits. I tried the next (heavy) spring and was unable to get full travel, and it felt too harsh overall even with comp damping all the way out (full -). After reading through this thread I switched back to the stock spring with 225cc of oil in the spring leg (instead of the 80cc stock level). This seems great so far - I've retained the super plush initial stroke but the fork ramps up better and resists bottoming. Thanks to those who have chimed in, this is a great thread. Love this fork now. :thumb:
Sandwich, here is what worked for me. (Page 23, ha!) If your fork came with the stock spring, you might want to try adding more oil before you buy another spring. I should have clarified that I'm 190 without gear. I think the rice hater is a little heavier and went with 250cc.

One of the things I love about Zoke forks is that very plush initial feel. That feeling went away with the next stiffer spring. I tend to agree that they missed the mark when spec'ing the springs on these - seems like too big a gap between the stock and next heavier spring.