Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

bendik.ph

Chimp
Oct 6, 2011
That seems odd. Why do you need a tall crown?
so i can use a chris king devolution 1.5" to 1-1/8". i am using a cane creek xxc II flush internal headset now and short crown is almost over the top. i guess i can only use these zero stack headsets on my frame due to its big headtube

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
So quick question. Anyone try using a thrust bearing on one end of the ti spring? As the coil compresses the spring wants to turn. not letting it turn makes it more pregressive, etc. Ive noticed the difference with a thrust bearing on the rear shock, but wondering if anyone has tried it in a fork.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So quick question. Anyone try using a thrust bearing on one end of the ti spring? As the coil compresses the spring wants to turn. not letting it turn makes it more pregressive, etc. Ive noticed the difference with a thrust bearing on the rear shock, but wondering if anyone has tried it in a fork.
does K9 make one for the 888?

Xetal

Chimp
May 30, 2011
at 200 lbs here, the Medium Stock coil was WAY too soft for me. Firm made a huge difference in the fork feel and how it handles the rough ****.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Has anyone had any ride time on the new 888CR. Looking to save a few $$$. Will buy the EVO non-ti if its that "Big" of a difference in damping quality.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
40 springs fit in EVO Tis(not sure about other EVOs), same length and diameter as the stock Ti one, need to remove Fox rubber thing and tape it up like you do Marz spring.

Dec 6, 2011
Sup everyone,
So I've never owned a Marzocchi fork for a Bike, only for a 110 pit bike I built 3yrs ago which was the best.

I love to jump as much as ride trails that are intermediate stuff to harder stuff!

Today I purchased a Marzocchi 2011 888 Rc EVO 3 Ti with the WORKS PACKAGE, and wanted to know
If I went with the better fork over a 2011 Boxxer WC's?

1-more question. Does anyone know where to buy different color decals for this model fork?

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
Today I purchased a Marzocchi 2011 888 Rc EVO 3 Ti with the WORKS PACKAGE, and wanted to know
If I went with the better fork over a 2011 Boxxer WC's?
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. all those a's better. :thumb:

peterdaam

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Vancouver BC Canada
it's mostly personal preference, most high end forks are really good these days, it's all about what you get used to.
i've used and owned just about every fork out there from the dorado to a 40 and now the 888 evo rc3 ti. They have all been amazing but with slight differences in feel. i went for the 888 because i wanted reliability and a super plush smooth feel.

you did the right thing, the 888 will work great for you... no turning back now!

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I was wondering if anyone had the proper torque specs for the crown bolts and lower bolts. I know Marzocchi lists torque specs on their website but I have no clue what 10+-1 means in NM. Any help would be much appreciated.

I know it has probably been mentionned in this thread at some time or another, 18 pages is just abit too long to sift through at the moment...

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I'm 138 lbs/63 kg geared up and I can't get full travel with the Medium spring. I know a guy (he lives in another city so I can't try his bike) who runs the soft spring but he weighs 50-55 kg (*2,2 for lbs) so I wonder if the soft might be too soft for me. But it's already ordered, so time will show. I did run the fork without the VA assembly, but it was way too linear and when it bottomed I heard a metal on metal sound.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm 138 lbs/63 kg geared up and I can't get full travel with the Medium spring. I know a guy (he lives in another city so I can't try his bike) who runs the soft spring but he weighs 50-55 kg (*2,2 for lbs) so I wonder if the soft might be too soft for me. But it's already ordered, so time will show. I did run the fork without the VA assembly, but it was way too linear and when it bottomed I heard a metal on metal sound.
I have an older 888 RC3 WC that came with a "medium" Ti spring (before it was called "Ti" model) and I'm about 148 or less and it's way too oversprung for me, I was never able to get a soft spring from marzocchi (never had in stock when I was looking) and I also had a medium steel spring (after they screwed up and sent me a firm), it was simply seriously oversprung. I just ordered a "firm" older 888 kit and I'm going to try one of those springs (they come in two) and see if it works with the proper oil level. Another idea is to look at 35mm boxxer springs, those should probably fit and you can just cut the spacer (make one if yours doesn't have one) to space it out right.

You can run without the VA assembly, but then you need to seriously raise the oil height. Works fine.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Thanks. Sounds like soft is much better for me then. I have already ordered the spring so that's not the issue. I talked to the marzocchi representant here in Norway and he really didn't recommend taking out the VA assembly. The fork is in for a lower leg replacement because the fork (2010 EVO Ti) developed play in the bushings. So I will have the fork back in three weeks with the soft spring installed. Really stoked on the 2012 season now.

Laars

Chimp
Jan 24, 2012
Im getting no clicks on the volume adjuster on 888 ti 2011. Adjuster moves normally, but doesnt make any noticable clicks. Is this normal?

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
You've probably lost the detent ball in there. Take off the adjusters and check and be careful to not lose any more of them. :)

Laars

Chimp
Jan 24, 2012
Nope, the ball was in place and rebound adjuster is clicking as it should. Volume adjuster isn't, or is it even supposed to?

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Yeah it should click 2 times per revolution. Did you check for the detent ball under the volume adjuster dial? The rebound adjuster got it's own detent ball. If the ball actually was in there, make sure the spring is there as well and that it's positioned correctly.

Mine's a 2010 and it's clicking. I know they updated the adjusters for 2011 though. Maybe they took out the clicks from the VA adjuster? I have an exploded view pdf of the 2011 fork and it doesn't show any detent ball below the VA adjuster...