Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I replaced the stock spring on 888 EVO last night for the heavier one. The stock spring had a shrink wrap around it and the heavier one did not. Aside from being louder is there any downside to not having the shrink wrap on the spring?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That is correct. They come stock with those little dabs of grease that are machine dropped in there. Filling them in with grease so it is flush with the groove is pretty much ideal. Doesn't need any more than that.

The same goes for the dust wiper too though. It has a "cup" the same way as the oil seal does, but I don't think it is as wide.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i know the dust seals on the new 888's are recessed more than the previous years, but can i pry them up after moving that spring and get access to the oil seal to pack the grease in there?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You can pry them up, but like I said, grease doesn't go there. That's where the foam ring sits. If you want to do anything to it, just drop the fork out of the crowns, pry the dust wiper up and off of the stanchion, then take out the foam ring and soak it in oil for about 10 minutes and put it back in and put some grease in the dust wiper lip. You can't grease the oil seal without removing the stanchion.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You can pry them up, but like I said, grease doesn't go there. That's where the foam ring sits. If you want to do anything to it, just drop the fork out of the crowns, pry the dust wiper up and off of the stanchion, then take out the foam ring and soak it in oil for about 10 minutes and put it back in and put some grease in the dust wiper lip. You can't grease the oil seal without removing the stanchion.
gotcha, forgot about the foam ring in there. what kind of oil can i get by with?

i dont have the fork near me, but are there indents to pry the dust seals up like the previous ones?...since these are recessed

are the oil seals upside down in that pic? is the groove suppose to be facing downwards?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I use motor oil. Heavier is better. 80w gear oil works great and seems to last longer.

Use a razor blade or very thin flathead (like you'd use for your glasses or something) to get under the dust wiper initially.

They're right side up in the pic. Should be able to see the spring thing from the top.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
Anyone know the clamp size of the top crown of the 2010 evo ti? I know the stanctions are 38mm, but they taper at the crowns. With the tapers, are the clamps the same as the fox 40? Would the fox crowns fit on the evo ti?

I'm in the market for a double crown fork and really like the new evo ti, but would love it if I could put I a direct mount stem (boxxer style) on it. That being said, is Risse Racing still in business and making clamps for the 2010 888s?

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Ok guys. Time to Troubleshoot. I sent this email to Marz and the only solution I received was "add 5-10 ccs of oil". They weren't anymore specific than that such as what weight or which leg. So can I get some feedback on this?

This was the email I sent:
"At Nationals, Ronnie rebuilt my fork to the "same" specs as Bryson Jr.'s. On Sunday, the day after he rebuilt it, the fork started randomly blowing through the travel, I figured it was a high speed thing so I turned that up a bit but even then, the feeling was inconsistent. One of the guys here in Phoenix that works at a shop has the same fork and is experiencing the same problem. My lack of knowledge into the inner workings of this fork kind of leaves me off the back, my only thought being that the Air Spring has blown an O-Ring or there's a blown seal. But if that were the case the fork would be consistently bad and that's not what is happening; the fork will be amazing and then I'll push into a turn or obstacle and bottom out with zero resistance"

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
^^No air anywhere on the Evo Ti. They have sealed atmospheric chamber above the damper, the main o-ring could be gone there.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Nomenclature problem. That's what I was referring to. The problem is consistent which leads me to think its not an oring, if that was the case, wouldn't it happen more frequently? I will be riding and it will be working superbly then randomly it'll have zero resistance.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Pull the top cap off and have a look see. Just be careful you don't lose those annoying tiny bb's for the detents.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I like my MZ, but isnt it time to do away with the 'M' arch and crowns? Really should go flat, and offer 2 upper crown options - flat and drop ( rop for long headtube/stack, or rider preference bar height; the flat/slammed thing has started to go away; especially with comments like Fairclough's becoming more common.)

I think it's funny that they're going to offer different colored stanchions now when they've been forcing god awful white lowers with no alternates for a few years now......

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Really should go flat, and offer 2 upper crown options - flat and drop ( rop for long headtube/stack, or rider preference bar height; the flat/slammed thing has started to go away; especially with comments like Fairclough's becoming more common.)
dont they have optional crowns?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
nice touch to the knobs

edit: i still see their own stem mount on those crowns..maybe its just what they had around?

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I think they will stick to their top crown design for their bomber direct mount stems:(.Shame if they where smart they could contact the guy's from Mozartt to make the top crowns with the Boxxer mounts that they made for the 2004-2007 triple 8's.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think they will stick to their top crown design for their bomber direct mount stems:(.Shame if they where smart they could contact the guy's from Mozartt to make the top crowns with the Boxxer mounts that they made for the 2004-2007 triple 8's.
or the guys from Mozart can contact them

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
dont they have optional crowns?
nooooooope. They did have a crown they would sell me for ~300 that they couldnt guarantee would do the job, but it was old inventory from 08 that didnt go into production. I had to get an overbuilt (really 2-3x as much material as needed) drop crown from Risse (very bad design, but does the job nothing else will, and one plus is it has 888 and boxxer stem mounts.)

Qualify: V Bad design in that its way overbuilt, has many sharp machined edges, bulky clamping area on the rear of the crown instead of the front where it should be for clearance and load (RS design win there!) which is ready to crush any toptube it meets as it projects further than the rubber stops/bumpers. Its been on the grinding wheel and is going back! Now if I could re-ano it, we'd be starting to get somewhere.

Edit: you said touch...knobs

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
seems i developed a slight knock from the spring side.
can i just yank the spring out and reposition it back in there?
If you can see where the spring is rubbing, maybe try some heat shrink around the spring? Most industrial electical supplys have shrink wrap that's big enough...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If you can see where the spring is rubbing, maybe try some heat shrink around the spring? Most industrial electical supplys have shrink wrap that's big enough...
havent yanked it out yet to see. im assuming its no different then any other fork in regards to how the spring sits in there?