Quantcast

2010 boxxer team bottom out

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
I haven't been able to get the last inch of travel from my 2010 boxxer team. I keep the bottom out adjustment fully counter-clockwise. My question is this how it was designed to be with the bottom out bumper? When I searched it seemed like some people were able to get the last inch even with the bumper in there. I run the stock spring and weigh about 175 with gear.

The fork came on a complete bike so I don't know how old it is/when it was manufactured. I did however open up the lowers because I thought it was a bit stiff and had no oil in it as reported by some. But it did have oil in the lowers and I changed it out anyway and put the correct weight in and greased the seals. It's more supple now and I like it a lot, but it didn't affect the travel. It's not really a problem I just want to know if its functioning properly.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
The Spring maybe a little stiff your you. You might want to try a Soft Spring. I get full travel in my Boxxer Team with the drop stop, with 2 turns perfectly fine. Make sure your fork is running smooth, Lubrication is key here. Also take a look at the spring, make sure the Drop Stop bumper is sitting ALL the way down. It maybe got caught on the spring isolators. Some of the isolators cover the openings for the Drop Stop to slide down into, making it harder to Bottom out. When I looked at mine, the Drop stop was sitting in the middle of the spring, because of the isolator. I had to cut the opening of the isolator a bit to allow the drop stop to slide with ease. Good Luck

TDerk

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
The stock spring is rated for 160-180lbs so I don't think the spring is to firm. I had the same problem and after I did the lubrication maintenance I took it for a pretty hard ride with some drops and jumps. By the end of the ride I was getting full travel. Maybe take it for a hard ride without any dropstop and hsc to see if it just needs to be worked in.

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
The fork is relatively new, I've only had it for 3 weeks. Maybe it needs time to break in? I haven't checked the spring and drop stop yet though as suggested by commencal-guy.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I switched to the soft spring after trying repeatedly to get full travel out of the medium. The soft with the drop stop cut 1" seems to work pretty great for me (175lbs)

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
So I changed the spring to yellow. I noticed while removing my red one that there were 3 preload spacers there. In the instructions it says measure the distance from the top of the coil to the top of the tube and for it to be 14-16mm. Well without any preload spacers, mine measured out to about 15mm. Do I include the 3 preload spacers anyway, are they part of the assembly? Right now I have no preload spacers in there and just put the top cap back on because I didn't know if they should be there.

I had 1.5" travel that was being unused, by doing this I gained about 1/2 and inch, so 1" is still not being used. Pretty sure it has to do with the dropstop length, but I don't think it bothers me. The soft spring does feel better in terms of small bump compliance that's for sure.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Why would you cut the Drop Stop? I don't see how people aren't getting full travel. Just make sure the Drop Stop is ALL the way in the bottom of the spring without the spring isolators getting in its way. I get full travel on my Boxxer with the Drop Stop Uncut fine.
How much you weigh, where you ride and how smooth you ride all dictate your specific spring needs. What works for you has obviously not worked for others.

For me, I'm about 170lbs, doing really rocky trails with no huge drops or jumps and I tend to ride smooth. The stock settings (med spring, drop stop at full length and rec. comp. settings) did not result in what I'd call a plush ride, and I couldn't touch the last 2" of stroke.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
How much you weigh, where you ride and how smooth you ride all dictate your specific spring needs. What works for you has obviously not worked for others.

For me, I'm about 170lbs, doing really rocky trails with no huge drops or jumps and I tend to ride smooth. The stock settings (med spring, drop stop at full length and rec. comp. settings) did not result in what I'd call a plush ride, and I couldn't touch the last 2" of stroke.
Your absolutely correct, except people are having issues not getting full travel even after they opt to switch to a softer spring OR they cut the Drop Stop before even considering to change the springs out for a different spring weight.

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
I changed the spring to soft and I purposely tried to bottom it with botched landings and horrid riding and I just couldn't do it. I also did slide the dropstop down like you suggested but then when I took a look at the spring again the dropstop slide back up an inch or so.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I tuned lots and lots of 2010 Boxxers last season. We have fast guys (win local pro races) that weigh 180 - 185 lbs running the soft spring and still cutting 1" off the bottom-out MCU. Based on your description I'd recommend a soft spring and 1" off the MCU. The nice thing about cutting the MCU is you can always drop the piece back in the fork if you need it, or adjust the bottom-out knob.

Commencal-Guy at 165 and getting full travel with the Med spring and full drop-stop bumper is unusual, or rides in areas with big drops and hard landings. I'd also guess the oil volume in the damper leg is low. That can take a lot of ramp up out of a Boxxer.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I tuned lots and lots of 2010 Boxxers last season. We have fast guys (win local pro races) that weigh 180 - 185 lbs running the soft spring and still cutting 1" off the bottom-out MCU. Based on your description I'd recommend a soft spring and 1" off the MCU. The nice thing about cutting the MCU is you can always drop the piece back in the fork if you need it, or adjust the bottom-out knob.

Commencal-Guy at 165 and getting full travel with the Med spring and full drop-stop bumper is unusual, or rides in areas with big drops and hard landings. I'd also guess the oil volume in the damper leg is low. That can take a lot of ramp up out of a Boxxer.
When I got my Boxxer, the Dampener had the right oil levels. However the lowers were another story. I decided the strip the fork down and rebuild the whole thing. I can run the Medium Spring fine and get full travel. With 1 full turn on the Drop Stop. 3 When I switch to the Soft Spring. It all depends. I run only 1 turn of HSC and usually 2-4 clicks of LSC.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
When I initially rode the fork I had trouble getting full travel. I only could get up to 7inches. I took the spring side apart to see if the spring needed more lube ect.. The Drop Stop was sitting in the middle of the Spring. The spring isolator was preventing it from sitting in the bottom. Even when I used a rod to push it down I couldn't. I cut the openings where the Drop Stop should slide though alittle larger on the isolators and was able to move the Drop Stop bumper all the way down. After that I've had no issues getting full travel.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Commencal Guy, I'm not saying you are lying or inaccurate, just that your experiences are not the norm. As I've stated before we have 180 lb Pros running the soft spring. That may not work for all riders in their weight range, but it was common. We sold about 40 boxxers last season and universally everyone ran 1 spring rate lower than recommended by RS, this was even true with the WC version. Everyone ran much lower PSI than recommended.

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
Hey at least you don't have RC3. According to Udi if you had RC3 you would be completely unsatisfied.

Nobody has bothered to ask what your sag is set at. Where you sitting there?

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Sorry to hijack the thread but are Teams worth spite all their problems?I'm asking that because I've been offered a good deal on one but first I'd like to know what problems I could be facing up if I pull the trigger, I know the problems about not reaching full travel and the lack of lube on stanchions & seals, is there any more problems on this fork?

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hey at least you don't have RC3. According to Udi if you had RC3 you would be completely unsatisfied.
Clearly your reading comprehension abilities match your suspension tuning ones. I just suggested you needed to stop self-justifying your purchase, the reality is that all top-end forks are about as good as each other, and no one really cares whether you think yours is as-good / better.

Do everyone here a favour and keep it to your own thread (or socket's) instead of ruining a perfectly reasonable one.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
We sold about 40 boxxers last season and universally everyone ran 1 spring rate lower than recommended by RS, this was even true with the WC version. Everyone ran much lower PSI than recommended.
Just out of curiousity, how fair did the riders preferred PSI deviate from the recommended?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Sorry to hijack the thread but are Teams worth spite all their problems?I'm asking that because I've been offered a good deal on one but first I'd like to know what problems I could be facing up if I pull the trigger, I know the problems about not reaching full travel and the lack of lube on stanchions & seals, is there any more problems on this fork?
The Boxxer Teams are perfectly fine. Just make sure you take the lowers apart and grease the seals and put the correct amount of oil. 10cc's in the Dampner side and 40cc's in the spring side.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
okay cheers, that's what I heard from other users, not big deal as the price I'm offered is quite good... :D
The Boxxer Teams are perfectly fine. Just make sure you take the lowers apart and grease the seals and put the correct amount of oil. 10cc's in the Dampner side and 40cc's in the spring side.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I picked up my Boxxer team last night. Guys are telling me to run 2.5wt oil and pull the drop stop out.

I read through this thread and didn't see anything about oil weight changes. Has anyone tried changed the oil weights?

After reading this thread I assume a full tear down is in order before I ride it.

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
Cut the drop stop an inch, that should make it so you have it engage in the last little bit of travle, and every turn of your bottom out knob makes it engage sooner.
Other than that, slick honey the seals, and use 1/2 five weight oil 1/2 red rum in the lowers

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Cut the drop stop an inch, that should make it so you have it engage in the last little bit of travle, and every turn of your bottom out knob makes it engage sooner.
Other than that, slick honey the seals, and use 1/2 five weight oil 1/2 red rum in the lowers
Where can I get this "slick honey" lube? Is it a bike shop or moto shop thing?

What exactly is the red rum oil from SRAM? I can't find any info on there website.

Thanks.

michar

Chimp
Nov 16, 2009
i removed the drop stop away from the day on i got my boxxer team..also i changed to the soft spring! my weight is about 172lb! i can only say it works perfekt..even on steep and rocky tracks i have no bottom outs an use about 90% travel on many trails! i don't know why i need the drop stop..adjusting with high and lowspeed compression works very fine...

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's much about the way you want to set up your suspension. Many guys prefer running less spring with much damping, some like it super soft with lots of ramp up, while others want to reserve the last inch of travel for those sketchy moments on the trail...
I weigh 175lb kitted up, rode my Team 2 days so far, and got full travel twice with stock spring. Both were pretty hard hits when I pushed it too much. As for me, I like the way my fork uses its travel. I can imagine that for longer, beaten up tracks, I'll use soft spring and tune the bottom out with HSC and drop stop.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I installed my boxxer last night... It had a little oil on the rebound knob when i took it out of the box that I thought might have been from assembly at the factory. I did a tear down, lubed everything and rebuilt it. This morning there is oil on the rebound valve again. The oil isn't coming out of the crush washer on the lower leg it seems to be seeping out of the valve itself.

Any ideas? Bad o-ring inside the rebound assembly? :confused:

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Amazing how much this comes up and how coil suspension still seems to confuse people so much.

I'm 210lbs and run the stock spring [red] and no mod to the drop stop, I even tried the stiff spring, hell that was so stiff it wasn't funny couldn't even use any dial settings.

Simple to swap out with a 24mm socket back to std set my dials get full travel no issues, fork has been rock solid since day one, simple listen to the guys especially the shop guys on dropping SR and lubing!

2.5 w seems very light, std is 15w! dropping fluid rate especially if using a high quality fluid like Motorex or Motul, Bel Ray might work well for some but I'd get all other things right first before changing fluid rates volume is more critical.

Nothing wrong with checking the fork too, I did this and I'm dam impressed with mine I love it 4 months and running sweet.

Time for a fluid change though. Some motorex will be going in mine std wt.

Would like to know more about shimming options and variances maybe more of a tuner suspension thing which we don't have here dam it, no Push etc here :eek:

Amazing how much this comes up and how coil suspension still seems to confuse people so much.

I'm 210lbs and run the stock spring [red] and no mod to the drop stop, I even tried the stiff spring, hell that was so stiff it wasn't funny couldn't even use any dial settings.

Simple to swap out with a 24mm socket back to std set my dials get full travel no issues, fork has been rock solid since day one, simple listen to the guys especially the shop guys on dropping SR and lubing!

2.5 w seems very light, std is 15w! dropping fluid rate especially if using a high quality fluid like Motorex or Motul, Bel Ray might work well for some but I'd get all other things right first before changing fluid rates volume is more critical.

Nothing wrong with checking the fork too, I did this and I'm dam impressed with mine I love it 4 months and running sweet.

Time for a fluid change though. Some motorex will be going in mine std wt.

Would like to know more about shimming options and variances maybe more of a tuner suspension thing which we don't have here dam it, no Push etc here :eek:

I thought people trying the 2.5w are putting it in the cart which standard is 5w?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Took mine out last weekend.

Running 2.5wt oil and the stock spring. Works great for me, ramps up nicely in the last 1.5"-2" of travel.

BTW - I'm 165#

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Cut 1" off of my MCU last weekend, still not getting the last 1/2" of travel (wasn't getting the last 1" before).

I'll probably just take it out completely and see what happens.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I took my drop stop out completely and now it feels right with a Medium spring (I'm about 180lbs I think) A soft was too soft and the front wasn't standing up enough, A medium with the drop stop was too stiff and I never used the last bit of travel so this suits me well. I felt the fork bottom for the first time ever at Fort William last weekend.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I took my drop stop out completely and now it feels right with a Medium spring (I'm about 180lbs I think) A soft was too soft and the front wasn't standing up enough, A medium with the drop stop was too stiff and I never used the last bit of travel so this suits me well. I felt the fork bottom for the first time ever at Fort William last weekend.
Nice... I weigh about 180lbs too and the medium seems a tad too stiff. I have a soft spring on order by I don't feel like that is the correct way to fix the problem.

I will be removing my dropstop completely for the next time I ride.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
so I just got my bike with an 2010 Boxxer team,
I'm 176 without gear and the fork feels super stiff.

should I change to a yellow spring and/or cut the MCU (or just remove it completely) ?