Quantcast

2008 Iron Horse Sunday pics

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Last Year Dirt Mag did an article and charted different setups Pros were running. Many pros preferred the DHX 3.0.....they gave a reason why but i don't remember off the top of my head.
What I remember hearing about this was that Push was setting up Peaty and Rennie's shocks (a dhx 3) to each individual track. Hence no need for adjustments.

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
What´s about the frame-kits?

Any info abot the colour and if they will be available with a seatpost and a rear hub like 06?

The team looks really nice, but I think the DHX 5.0 will fit better for a race bike!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
What I remember hearing about this was that Push was setting up Peaty and Rennie's shocks (a dhx 3) to each individual track. Hence no need for adjustments.
Other teams were doing it to........some British teams and i think MSC, but they weren't PUSHED 3.0......i have the article at home, may try to find it tonight.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Think about why the shock has so many adjustments - it's so one shock can, without having to be revalved, work for a great number of differing suspension designs, along with making adjustments for weight and riding style/ terrain. Now, if the shock is valved for that frame, then the number of external adjustments necesary to make it work for that frame goes down some.
I had a 5th coil 3 way that came with my 7 Point. I played around with a 5 way for awhile (off another 7 point) and didn't feel a need for the extra adjustments. But maybe you're all shock experts and spent most of your race weekends making adjustments to get that last .01% out of your shock, I dunno...

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Wow, that sucks they're only making one 7Point this year. The build looks kinda middle-of-the-road. Can't totally tell from the pic, but it looks like X7 rear dérailleur, and maybe hussefelt bar and stem?? I was thinking about buying another 7Point this year to replace my '06 7Point7, but now I'm not sure.

Winston

Chimp
Feb 17, 2006
Irvine, CA
I'm not surprised. They didn't have many 7Point7's this year. Plus it seems like the 6Points are selling better any way.

Maybe you can get an 08 7Point frameset next year. I went from an 05 to an 07 and really enjoy the lighter weight and nicer shock mounts.

Wow, that sucks they're only making one 7Point this year. The build looks kinda middle-of-the-road. Can't totally tell from the pic, but it looks like X7 rear dérailleur, and maybe hussefelt bar and stem?? I was thinking about buying another 7Point this year to replace my '06 7Point7, but now I'm not sure.

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Isn't that a 6 point? It has the straight top tube. Is that a 55 or a 66?

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Pretty sure it says 7point on the top tube, but I could be wrong, it also said this was a 7point on the original forum the pic was taken from.
My bad, sorry didn't recognise it with the different top tube. Have to say it looks a lot better this year, very nice! I thought there would of been a top of the line 7 point specced with Totems and other SRAM goodies?

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Last Year Dirt Mag did an article and charted different setups Pros were running. Many pros preferred the DHX 3.0.....they gave a reason why but i don't remember off the top of my head.
The reason I recall is that a lot of the riders prefer the feel of old style simpler shocks. They get them custom shimmed and tuned rather than relying on the myriad of settings that a 5.0 has. That said, I love my DHX5.0 would rather have it than a 3.0.

Also having ridden a DHXAir3.0, I was blown away by how nice it felt so I would be confident the stock 3.0 on that Sunday would still feel pretty damn good.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I guess that they are using dhx 3 over dhx 5 since it is natural to say, if it's simplier, it is more unlikely to run down of blow up, that said I really don't know it that's the case, but think of it this way, you can get your 3, have it pushed or valved, and it would have a total cost of around a 5, but in return would never need to be ajusted, would most likely live longer, and with less dials weigh less heheh, see where I'm going?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I guess that they are using dhx 3 over dhx 5 since it is natural to say, if it's simplier, it is more unlikely to run down of blow up, that said I really don't know it that's the case, but think of it this way, you can get your 3, have it pushed or valved, and it would have a total cost of around a 5, but in return would never need to be ajusted, would most likely live longer, and with less dials weigh less heheh, see where I'm going?
Or else they are just using a dhx 3.0 because its not the top of the line sunday... :huh:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i saw on sicklines that the sunday wc is coming with 2 sets of pedals, flats and clips. that has to be the best idea ever for spec'ing a complete.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Sunday Elite spec

Marz Rocco
Rock Shox Totem
Sram x.9
E13 SRS
Avid Codes
Sun Set Rims
Cranks Funn Hooka
seems a bit weird seing both Marzocchi and Rock Shox spec on one bike

Many World Cup Pros run the DHX 3.0 instead of the 5.0......last year they did anyway.
Gonna need some proof to back that up..:brow:
Please note that the pros dont need the adjustments of the 5.0 since they get their shocks custom tuned anyway. Most have a few different shocks tuned differently for various conditions. They use the 3.0 chasis because theres no need for the 5.0 chasis. So when you see the pros running DHX 3.0 its not an off the shelf item.:clue:

Its a bit pity that the white sunday doesnt have the extra adjustments which i think are useful for the weekend racer

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
The DHX 3.0s that come with the Sunday aren't off the shelf items either, they're already tuned to match the suspension design. :bonk:
I wish DW and the Fox mechanics would get together and come up with a difinitive answer on this once and for all. My latest encounter was at Mt. Snow and the Fox Tech said (no, no, no, no. The Sunday does not need a low comp. tune. All the pros here are running stock DHX shocks). It's been, and getting even more annoying as I see the RS Vivid comes with that elusive tune as well.