Quantcast

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Tax lot tuesderp GMT [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Specialized Control SL
  • Rim Type: Carbon clincher, 2Bliss Ready, Zero Bead Hook 4mm FlatTop design. Compatible with tire inserts.
  • Rim Width: 29mm internal
  • Front Hub: Alloy body, 15mmx110 thru-axle, 19 and 31mm OD end cap options included. Max Rotor Size <200mm
  • Front Spoke Pattern: DT Swiss Aerolite Straightpull 294mm, 24-hole, Two-cross
  • Rear Hub: CNC-machined alloy body, SiNC Ceramic Bearings, premium-quality DT 180 internals and 36t quick engagement ratchet system cassette, includes SRAM XD Driver and 148 end caps. Max Rotor Size <200mm
  • Rear Spoke Pattern Swiss Aerolite Straightpull 294mm, 24-hole, Two-cross
  • Bearing Type: SiNC Ceramic Sealed cartridge
  • Nipple Type: DT Swiss Pro Lock Hexagonal Alloy 14mm 2.0mm
  • Total Wheelset Weight: 1240g
24h w/ alloy spokes? I have no experience with that magic but it sounds flexy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how's your dude holding up? is he bored out of his mind?
he's getting there. his energy level was low enough that 12 hours of tablet and TV was fine. We spent an hour in the playroom so we're getting back up there.
I missed the first message in thread. May I be so bold as to enquire wtf happened? either way, that sucks, and I hope all is well soon enough...
my son came down with IgA vasculitis...it's a weird rash that pops up about 10 days after an infection, usually upper respiratory. He had purple blotches all over his extremeties caused by veins at the surface getting clogged with an excess of antibodies. That started to dissipate and all was well but then he got stomach bug like symptoms that crescendo'ed with bloody diarrhea. We went to the ER with him barely able to stand and were transferred to a children's hospital by ambulance. He's on the mend, and has been getting significantly better up until this morning where he's been complaining about stomach pain again. Everybody is waiting on a blood-free bowel movement before we can move to oral steroids and finally get out of here. I've never been this anxious about poop before.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They are alum alloy, aren't they?
nope. just bladed.

edit: I'm fairly certain that DT only makes stainless steel spokes. To the best of my knowledge the only company making alloy spokes is Industry 9, and those have the proprietary interface at the hub.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
he's getting there. his energy level was low enough that 12 hours of tablet and TV was fine. We spent an hour in the playroom so we're getting back up there.
it's a start. not to tell you your business, but when my kids aren't feeling well and they need a break from screen time, they like when I read to them.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife: It would be nice for you to have a challenge. You've been phoning it in for a while..

Me: Give me a couple months, I'll be able to phone it in again. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
In the land of 'no shit Sherlock', I was just formally diagnosed with ADHD. 16/17 key symptoms. Combined type - impulsive/hyperactive behaviors and inattention/distractibility. With high severity.

General response from most my friends? "Duh". Parents? "Let's talk later." :bonk:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In the land of 'no shit Sherlock', I was just formally diagnosed with ADHD. 16/17 key symptoms. Combined type - impulsive/hyperactive behaviors and inattention/distractibility. With high severity.

General response from most my friends? "Duh". Parents? "Let's talk later." :bonk:
yay more drugs

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Will meds help?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
nope. just bladed.

edit: I'm fairly certain that DT only makes stainless steel spokes. To the best of my knowledge the only company making alloy spokes is Industry 9, and those have the proprietary interface at the hub.
Does Mavic not make alloy spokes any more? Ateast in the past I thought they offered some bladed stuff for their Mavic branded wheels, but I haven't followed their releases for a while.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does Mavic not make alloy spokes any more? Ateast in the past I thought they offered some bladed stuff for their Mavic branded wheels, but I haven't followed their releases for a while.
if they do, i don't care. i once had the misfortune of owning a set of wheels with mavic hubs. the rear hub was garbage.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, i know they had some alternate material spokes on their road wheels, maybe their xc wheels? but i do remember they had about a dozen different nipple interfaces.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
looks like all their mtb wheels are using steel spokes now

and they changed their hub design that failed on JK in like 2008 :rofl:

.......which they don't even remotely use anymore since they don't make those wheels anymore

Really got the finger on the pulse of a movement there with 'sam hill gravity wheels' LOL

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Can confirm Mavic rims are good, their hubs and complete wheelsets are not. And their warranty is to have you go through a dealer even if you ordered online, have them ship the wheels at which point Mavic will then determine how much to charge the customer for problems that they are supposed to cover according to the printed warranty. Nope, never again !

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Will meds help?
She thinks so. I took Ritalin for a very short window in college and used it to learn calculus well enough to pass it in about 3 weeks.

Given that I've been living with it for as long as I have been, she wants to see how the drugs work. Since I'm already doing or have done a lot of the other means of controlling it (lists, calendar organization, etc), there isn't a ton more available to do on that front until the initial aspects are wound down.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
looks like all their mtb wheels are using steel spokes now

and they changed their hub design that failed on JK in like 2008 :rofl:

.......which they don't even remotely use anymore since they don't make those wheels anymore

Really got the finger on the pulse of a movement there with 'sam hill gravity wheels' LOL
I had a set of Mavic bladed spoke wheels on my XC bike circa 2009. They were fine enough while I owned them, but that was back when I was 145 lbs and riding XC.

The last time I paid any real attention to the latest and greatest was nearly a decade ago. Too many "standards" and new fangled "innovations" have happened to even pretend my knowledge is current. :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a set of Mavic bladed spoke wheels on my XC bike circa 2009. They were fine enough while I owned them, but that was back when I was 145 lbs and riding XC.

The last time I paid any real attention to the latest and greatest was nearly a decade ago. Too many "standards" and new fangled "innovations" have happened to even pretend my knowledge is current. :rofl:
I had a bunch of their crossmax wheels just because they were some of the only stiff/light wheels I wouldn't fold in half.

The light spokes/heavy rims for strength thing had a limited lifespan from the get go. The wheels were light but they pedaled heavy. The fact that the same theory was used by crank bros is telling.... :D

The lightweight trailbike hubs had a slider where a bearing should have gone on the cassette side. But those ALL fell apart and quit using it in like 2007ish. I don't think the deemaxes ever used that design.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Deemax hubs were still terrible. Preload adjuster would back out as you walked your bike from the car to the lift.
Fascinating. I kept breaking and flatspotting them too frequently but I'm assuming you're talking about the really old bolt on design? Like not the thru-axle version? Did you ever take one of those apart and look at how far the threaded 'bolt' went? It was two fucking pieces :rofl:

I had a lot of mavic wheels and other than the bushing drag, never dealt with any of this shit. But I also didn't buy them till they addressed most of the design flaws that caused this crap. But it really seems like most of these were probably 2005 and earlier. I mean SS just mentioned a freakin NRS

I had one bolt on set that came on an uzzi I bought and it had all the design complexity (but also the reliability) of a bmx hub.....as in it was clunky but worked great.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
yay more drugs
older brothers youngest is on the spectrum for aspergers....not sure if he cut it back to next to nothing or cut it out completely but the kid isn't a zombie anymore and actually has a appetite now and is alot happier....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

my son came down with IgA vasculitis...it's a weird rash that pops up about 10 days after an infection, usually upper respiratory. He had purple blotches all over his extremeties caused by veins at the surface getting clogged with an excess of antibodies. That started to dissipate and all was well but then he got stomach bug like symptoms that crescendo'ed with bloody diarrhea. We went to the ER with him barely able to stand and were transferred to a children's hospital by ambulance. He's on the mend, and has been getting significantly better up until this morning where he's been complaining about stomach pain again. Everybody is waiting on a blood-free bowel movement before we can move to oral steroids and finally get out of here. I've never been this anxious about poop before.
wow. glad to hear he's doing better. children's hospitals are amazing. the volunteers and the facilities they have sure make a difference. Even 3 years later my son remembers his stay fondly because of the video game consoles they would bring in, and the games room with air hockey, pool table etc... (that's where we spent his 7th birthday...)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Will meds help?
only one way to find out.... (says the person who has tried about 6 variations so far... old habits die hard).
older brothers youngest is on the spectrum for aspergers....not sure if he cut it back to next to nothing or cut it out completely but the kid isn't a zombie anymore and actually has a appetite now and is alot happier....
different class of drugs? ADHD meds are stimulants. not sure what is used to help Aspergers. I found with my youngest that if the dose was too high, he turned to a zombie. we backed it off a bit, and it's about as effective as it will be, but he's still the happy, gregarious and engaging kid he was before. Just without the tasmanian devilishness... It's about finding the right med, in the right dose to get the best effect. Trial and error is pretty much the only way to find the right one.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
same w/ my son. we're still working on it.