Quantcast

+++ Y no thurzdeigh gmt***

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seems Uhaul has jumped on the inflation band wagon, rates are friggin ridiculous

People have been renting Uhauls in some areas because rental cars are hard to find.

A niece of mine recently took an Uber from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh because it was cheaper than getting a rental car for the trip.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But somehow remains a quicker drive than going up I70.
Only a problem if you're not headed up to the mountain house on Friday night instead :D
What was the experience like?

Just curious, did your insurance cover any of it?
Insurance didn't cover it. $4,200 with my $500 employee discount, but since it's an HSA-eligible expense then knock off my marginal rate from that, so ~$2,700 or so true cost. (A private place on the wrong side of town from me does $3,999 straight up but my time x all these visits is worth $201.)

It wasn't painful at all but profoundly weird. Pressure, bright lights, smells of burning, and distorted vision until the end.

First step is an incision. They used to do it with tiny knifes, microkeratomes iirc, but now laser is favored. For this had my eyelashes taped up and down, respectively, and a Clockwork Orange style device inserted to force the eye to stay open. The laser had a little cone thing put over its orifice and then was lowered down to interface with the eye spreader thing, then once docked, suction was applied. That felt really weird, and as the eye was sucked towards the laser to immobilize it the flap was made with it.

Then I walked across to another room, with vision all hazy and distorted after the flap incision. (It's set up this way because two different lasers are used, and the first one that the doc favors lives in the operative rather than procedural side of the eye center, go figure.) In this stage had the eye spreader thing again but no docking, just having the second computer-controlled laser oriented above the eye in question after the doc used tiny tools to pry open the corneal flap. You stare into a light with these just blindingly bright lights off center in your field of view, and once the computer's happy it's seeing exactly what it saw in the preop visit where the correction was mapped out then it's go time.

20 seconds of the laser doing its zip zip zip thing on the right, 16 seconds on the left. Had a nice cautery smell on the left--my own burning flesh!

Then after each of these corrective incisions the ophthalmologist used different tiny tools to lay the flap down and smooth it out, painting over it with a "wet" at the end.

So again, no pain during any of these (numbing drops and the like) steps but just very, very different from any normal human experience you've undergone before.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Only a problem if you're not headed up to the mountain house on Friday night instead :D

Insurance didn't cover it. $4,200 with my $500 employee discount, but since it's an HSA-eligible expense then knock off my marginal rate from that, so ~$2,700 or so true cost. (A private place on the wrong side of town from me does $3,999 straight up but my time x all these visits is worth $201.)

It wasn't painful at all but profoundly weird. Pressure, bright lights, smells of burning, and distorted vision until the end.

First step is an incision. They used to do it with tiny knifes, microkeratomes iirc, but now laser is favored. For this had my eyelashes taped up and down, respectively, and a Clockwork Orange style device inserted to force the eye to stay open. The laser had a little cone thing put over its orifice and then was lowered down to interface with the eye spreader thing, then once docked, suction was applied. That felt really weird, and as the eye was sucked towards the laser to immobilize it the flap was made with it.

Then I walked across to another room, with vision all hazy and distorted after the flap incision. (It's set up this way because two different lasers are used, and the first one that the doc favors lives in the operative rather than procedural side of the eye center, go figure.) In this stage had the eye spreader thing again but no docking, just having the second computer-controlled laser oriented above the eye in question after the doc used tiny tools to pry open the corneal flap. You stare into a light with these just blindingly bright lights off center in your field of view, and once the computer's happy it's seeing exactly what it saw in the preop visit where the correction was mapped out then it's go time.

20 seconds of the laser doing its zip zip zip thing on the right, 16 seconds on the left. Had a nice cautery smell on the left--my own burning flesh!

Then after each of these corrective incisions the ophthalmologist used different tiny tools to lay the flap down and smooth it out, painting over it with a "wet" at the end.

So again, no pain during any of these (numbing drops and the like) steps but just very, very different from any normal human experience you've undergone before.
:panic:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

That's awesome, Toshi. I always worry because my brother got jacked up. He went to Stanford to the guy who developed the procedure and he messed up. My brother was his last patient and he paid to have another try to fix it. But he has a permanent kaleidoscope in the upper left of one eye.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I’ve been thinking about doing this. My only hesitation is my glasses have inadvertently saved me from getting nasty shit (dirty oil, cutting fluid) sprayed in my eyes a couple times. Not sure this enough to make me not do it. Cleaning glasses all the time gets fucking old. My vision is pretty good even without glasses so I’m sensitive (physically and psychologically) to any smears and grime on the lenses. Clean freak!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
New fork is out of the airport, at some unnamed delivery hub somewhere in Auckland. So close and yet so far. Annoyingly probably won’t be here for this weekend. :wait: :shakefist:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Got on the beers and choons last night (Thursday night is my Friday night). Had a great little time. Was paying for it hard at 7am when the kids got up but springing back like a champ now. :Alcoholic: :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Well thats...........interesting

How long did the whole space docking thing and eye flappy thing take?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I had my eyes done 7 years ago and still marvel that I can see clearly without glasses.

Pretty sure my corneal flap was cut with a blade. I was in the same chair for the entire procedure. Slight pinch then the world went blurry after they folded it back. Real weird sucking sensation on the eyeball after that as the laser did its thing.

As mentioned, my recovery sucked more than typical owing to small deep set eyes. They almost had to reschedule me for PRK cause doc wasn't sure he could make a good incision.

I’ve been thinking about doing this. My only hesitation is my glasses have inadvertently saved me from getting nasty shit (dirty oil, cutting fluid) sprayed in my eyes a couple times. Not sure this enough to make me not do it. Cleaning glasses all the time gets fucking old. My vision is pretty good even without glasses so I’m sensitive (physically and psychologically) to any smears and grime on the lenses. Clean freak!
Not sure if you've heard of them, but they make these things called safety glasses. Great for keeping crap out of your eyes when doing things that could get crap in your eyes. ;)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Having only had to wear glasses for a few years I'd love to ditch them, but I struggle when the dentist has to do any work because of my gag reflex (setting up for no context). Not sure how I'd cope with eyes taped open and being sucked out.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Dude, safety glasses.

I used my prescription glasses as safety glasses for years, and fucking up $500 prescription glasses sucks when the alternative is fucking up $2 safety glasses. Z87 safety glasses are also way more protective than even the best prescription lenses.

I spent a bit extra to get really comfortable safety glasses that are also available in tinted form, and look reasonable. I also ordered a stack of replacement lenses for them so I always have clean/clear lenses, makes a big difference in many circumstances.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I got LASIK about 17 years ago, went from super near-sighted to 20/20 until just recently as teh oldz creep in. Still the best money I've ever spent in my life, bang for buck.

edit: 3-4 inches of snow

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well thats...........interesting

How long did the whole space docking thing and eye flappy thing take?
The whole procure is quick. In and out of the operating room in 10 minutes.
Yeah, about 15 minutes of actual things going on. I was there for 1:15 total including letting the Valium take effect initially and getting consented.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Not sure if you've heard of them, but they make these things called safety glasses. Great for keeping crap out of your eyes when doing things that could get crap in your eyes. ;)
Dude, safety glasses.
Yes, obviously, :D and yes I have l prescription safeties and at least two face shields, respirators and so on for when I’m doing things in a controlled manner. These examples were just, you know, like off piste encounters with random occular hazards.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I got LASIK about 17 years ago, went from super near-sighted to 20/20 until just recently as teh oldz creep in. Still the best money I've ever spent in my life, bang for buck.

edit: 3-4 inches of snow
This is the sort of shit I need to hear.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had my eyes done 7 years ago and still marvel that I can see clearly without glasses.

Pretty sure my corneal flap was cut with a blade. I was in the same chair for the entire procedure. Slight pinch then the world went blurry after they folded it back. Real weird sucking sensation on the eyeball after that as the laser did its thing.

As mentioned, my recovery sucked more than typical owing to small deep set eyes. They almost had to reschedule me for PRK cause doc wasn't sure he could make a good incision.

Yeah, about 15 minutes of actual things going on. I was there for 1:15 total including letting the Valium take effect initially and getting consented.
Maybe a dumb question given the valium and whatnot, but were you allowed to drive home from it?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Snow has landed here too. I need to get my winter bike up and running. it's sat dormant and unused since March 2020. The (v-) brakes are seized with salt and don't move. I don't want to buy new brakes for it. :disgust:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Maybe a dumb question given the valium and whatnot, but were you allowed to drive home from it?
Indeed the Valium (and the post-procedure haze that goes away after a few hours) meant I had to get picked up. not sure of legality of riding a bike home after a single Valium esp if not on public roads. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well look at you people and your properly proportioned orbital cavities

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I got Xanax, not Valium, but no, I had to be chauffeured. They taped these goofy plastic shields over my eyes so I didn't accidentally rub them and dislodge the flap.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, crazy huge small world. So check this out

I need wheels for my Skateboard so I've been asking for samples on Alibaba. I find a set of Embrace Kanye on eBay and I had to get them. Tonight I get a picture of the samples they are sending me.

Alibaba801990703.png

They are also a supplier for Embrace. My Kanye's were $20, I got 6 sets for $32. :rofl:

<edit> these are going with me to Nebraska, fyi. I'm not opening an ebay store or anything. But when folks find out these are gifts for kids, they have been awesome.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:banghead:

Just finished work. Finished a file share migration to Azure tonight. Of course after everything is said and done, out of the woodwork come these window 7 users. They are SOL because of SMB 3.0.

Oh well. Perfect example of why to not delay and delay and delay with planning out to upgrade your crap. Got a work around going for them and will deal with it later.