Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Anybody coming out with the big bike this weekend? Oh, and I know P and Nags have some finished upskirt shots of the rigs by now....can we get a looksie?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
And I missed the whole Tony thing. :rofl:

He and I got into it one day up there. There is seriously something wrong with that guy.
dude. you should have been there..
it started out pretty mellow, he just said what's up to Brian, and exchanged a few niceties, but then he just fukin blew up... talking some serious nonsense

B stood his ground though, and let him have it straight up. :monkeydance:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
dude. you should have been there..
it started out pretty mellow, he just said what's up to Brian, and exchanged a few niceties, but then he just fukin blew up... talking some serious nonsense

B stood his ground though, and let him have it straight up. :monkeydance:
hahaha, Tony and I have gone at it 3 or 4 times. He always seems to pick me out to have his crazy tantrums. I think we need to have a rope a dope on him, maybe he'll go away.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Snow summit opens their lifts next weekend, who's going?
Nag's and I are going that Sunday:happydance:

I wrote them a couple weeks ago about the bike requirements. My 6" AM1 slams down to a few inches so no worries there, and the bike teeters at 35 pounds. Here was my questions about the other two rules:

"I'm hoping to come visit Snow Summit to mountain bike a few times this year and have a few questions about the bike requirements.
#2 - what do you mean by 'designated' tire size? My front tire is a Kenda Nevegal 2.5, does that mean it meets the requirements? Its a knobbier tire than most but is still a 2.5, just want to make sure that's okay.
#4 - I actually only have 2 chainrings and a bashguard (24/36/bash) on my bike. I don't usually ever get enough speed to warrant a third (big) ring and would rather have the bashguard to protect my other 2 rings and my shins in case of an accident, is that okay?"

The response:
"You're on! I just spoke with Shanon who runs the Sky Chair in the summer and he said you're all good. See you soon:)"

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Nag's and I are going that Sunday:happydance:

I wrote them a couple weeks ago about the bike requirements. My 6" AM1 slams down to a few inches so no worries there, and the bike teeters at 35 pounds. Here was my questions about the other two rules:

The response:
"You're on! I just spoke with Shanon who runs the Sky Chair in the summer and he said you're all good. See you soon:)"
In other words, "we're really desperate for business in the summer, we'd probably let you on with a DH bike if the owners not around."

Randy, you might have to put a totem on your giant to ride up there. :monkeydance:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I can't wait for next weekend.

W4S probably knows all the secret trails too. You need to give us a tour sometime!
At least all the ones that were there last summer but i'm pretty sure there's been some work going on up there recently I don't know about. If you guys have room for me i'll shell out gas money and give you a tour of what I know. I'm planning on going up several times this summer, too.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
In other words, "we're really desperate for business in the summer, we'd probably let you on with a DH bike if the owners not around."

Randy, you might have to put a totem on your giant to ride up there. :monkeydance:
I got it covered. Leaving the glory hole at home and bringing up an Uzzi w/ a Totem.:thumb: If that doesnt work, I guess I'll be HAB.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
At least all the ones that were there last summer but i'm pretty sure there's been some work going on up there recently I don't know about. If you guys have room for me i'll shell out gas money and give you a tour of what I know. I'm planning on going up several times this summer, too.
You're on!

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Ohhh...a Sunday excursion? Sure, why not.

Roll Call for SS Sunday May 18th.
Nagaredama
TGreathead
W4S
Abstrakt51

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
how gnarly are the trails at SS?
There's nothing too crazy as far as trails, but they're really fast, steep and flowy. I did find some stunts that were pretty nutty, tho. You'd be surprised how much fun you can have up there.

I think first weekend might be a little weird because the trails probably need to be cleared. I think it's a good idea to go on Sunday, let all the saturday fools do the work for us.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
so could i push up my talas's travel and rock the hard tail? or is it way to rocky
I've never ridden any of the secret trails but as far as the regular trails you'd be alright on a hardtail. There are some rocky parts but its a ton of small rocks, like some parts of Sullivan right now or the part of Wilson just before the hotel ruins. Then again I haven't been to SS in a bit so don't take my word for it.
Personally I wouldn't ride a hardtail but that's just me, I wouldn't really ride a hardtail at Sully either.

EDIT: can't speak for the jumps and stunts though, if they exist and that's your thing you might prefer the hardtail

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
So would they let me in on my stock Kona Coiler?

p.s.
Never been to SS on a bike. Do they let you go down the regular ski run faces?
If it meets these requirements:
1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds.
2. Designated tire size must be less than 2.5.
3. Front shock must have less than 6 inches of travel.
4. Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed.

You can't go down the faces anymore, that's where the DH trails used to be before they got plowed. The remaining trails are off the sides and back.

rwilder

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Hollywood, CA
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I can't go. Only got the Coiler. 2 rings. 6 inches. It might come in at 35 lbs if I fill the tires with helium.

p.s.
You guys heard of Woodward Freeride Park yet?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I can't go. Only got the Coiler. 2 rings. 6 inches. It might come in at 35 lbs if I fill the tires with helium.

p.s.
You guys heard of Woodward Freeride Park yet?
It all depends on their mood. Even after those restrictions were put in place we'd see guys with their DHR's getting loaded up. My bike was close to 40 pounds last time I went and they even weighed it part way through the day.
Read my above post, 2 rings doesn't seem to be an issue. Are you talking about 6" front or rear? They don't seem to have any restrictions on the rear since most rigs with DH frames likely won't meet the rest of the criteria. If weighed less than 40 I think you'd be fine but any more and its noticeable.

Woodward like in Tehachapi?