Quantcast

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The hope is that people would play clean. Think of a pick-up game - if you go fouling all over the place, people get pissed. Generally, people play clean and play the ball, not the body.
How about making it like hockey - call penalties and not fouls.

Guy gets sent off for say 2 minutes - side has to play with 10 men for that short period. Maybe make it 4 minutes due to the running time nature of soccer. :thumb::D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Watching the brazil/portugal match now ... it reminds me why Portugal is one of those teams I hate to watch play. Diving mf cheats.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I watched most of the first half of Brazil-=Portugal but had to leave for work. Doesn't sound like I missed anything interesting.

I want to like soccer, but if not watching it with rabid fans, it's too easy to just wind up surfing the internet at the same time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So it looks like the US will end up against Brazil in the semis. I hope they play like they did against Portugal.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
So it looks like the US will end up against Brazil in the semis. I hope they play like they did against Portugal.
Semis? US will have to play much better than they did in the group stages to win 2 matches in the bracket stages. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go home in the first round.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Damn, spain are some faking a55 mfers. I so hope they lose today.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
This was a good game until chile seemed to forget about defense leaving wide open holes for spain. Thankfully there is another game to watch...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn, spain are some faking a55 mfers. I so hope they lose today.
I was just reading this:

Bob Bradley said:
“I hate to see players act like they’ve been hit and get away with it,” Bradley said Thursday in advance of the Americans’ game against Ghana on Saturday. “I would be ashamed if I was the one doing it.”

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wife asked me today if players got paid for WC play...
I said "Well...let me ask on the Monkey..."
Do they get paid directly? By the soccer federation of their country? Only if they win? Seems like they have to make something if they are putting million dollar careers on theline, just to play for their country and listen to the dulcet tones of the vuvuzellia chorus...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, they get paid. The salary varies per player, but they make OK coin. A quick google listed the average English player made $500k for the 2006 WC.

<edit> This morning the announcers were talking about Donovan's goal being worth $10M in future marketing income, not to mention the fat contract he will be given when this is over.

A lot of the players, especially from the smaller countries (NZ) get a chance to showcase their skills in front of the world. Many will come away with loses, but have huge offers waiting when they get home.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Semis beckoning for the US. Uruguay and Korea is as dull as dishwater and Ghana are far from the best around. France going out early has opened up this side of the draw. Pity about the 3.30am starts here in Japan. I'm struggling.
Anyway, you heard it here first and only but I'll be barracking for the Americans.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
$500K is not an average amount for a world cup player. From what I understand, it depends on performance in the tournament and every organization has a different pay scale.

I can tell you for sure, Cameroon is not paying each player $500K... maybe 10K if they're lucky. I'll also add, many of these players are not making millions... the top stars yes, but the rest are mostly $2-500K and below annually.

S

seespotendo

I believe there is also a large cash purse for the tournament that the different federations would get.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Bob Bradley said:
“I hate to see players act like they’ve been hit and get away with it,” Bradley said Thursday in advance of the Americans’ game against Ghana on Saturday. “I would be ashamed if I was the one doing it.”
Unfortunately, with the way the games are currently called, it appears to work to their advantage... so they keep doing it. FIFA appears to not care. It turns the game from one where you play the ball into one about who can fool the ref into penalizing the other team.

I would love to see a dive given an immediate red card.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Most games are being played at elevation. Less dense air = less curving: up, down, left or right.
That does have an impact, but I think the Jabulani ball has more to do with it.

Product Information

JABULANI, meaning "to celebrate" is the 11th adidas World Cup ball featuring 11 different colors representing the 11 players in every team, the 11 official languages of South Africa, and the 11 South African communities. The colorful design brings together the tremendous diversity of the country in harmonious unity. The match ball for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ features a completely new, ground-breaking technology.

Details

Aero grooves create the clearly visible profile on JABULANI's surface
JABULANI has a futuristic texture with fantastic grip, giving players full control over the ball under all weather conditions
Comprising only eight, completely new thermally bonded 3-D panels, which for the first time are spherically moulded, the ball is perfectly round and even more accurate than ever before.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That does have an impact, but I think the Jabulani ball has more to do with it.
Why in the world is a new ball created for every tournament. Change the pattern, change the visual design... just keep it standard. The change doesn't make any sense and seems like a glorious waste of resources.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why in the world is a new ball created for every tournament. Change the pattern, change the visual design... just keep it standard. The change doesn't make any sense and seems like a glorious waste of resources.
:stupid:

I say go old school. $150 a ball seems a bit much. No other sport changes the ball.