Quantcast

World’s 2023

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Worlds has always been a shit show though as it was never the same media deal as the world cups.
Yeah,and why is that? Why is never the same media? To whom does allow to prosper,year after year? This is not going well

Avy

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
All Jokes aside That Atherton bike must be amazing.
Props to Hatton always great to see an underdog take the win. If Vali wins every race from here on it wouldn't surprise me, The way she manhandles the bike and her level of commitment is awesome to watch.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Because the UCI owns and controls World Champs for all disciplines, and seeks to make money from the broadcast rights.

World Champs for all disciplines is a much more significant event than MTB World Cups, so UCI seeks to make more money for this event with different marketing/distribution deals, one for each country's broadcast (and internet) market.

It's the same situation as with US NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, PGA Tour, Tour De France, etc except MTB and cycling as a whole is not nearly as popular, so the broadcast deals are smaller scale, confusing, and poorly implemented.

You can direct your concerns and comments to https://usacycling.org/ or your country's cycling federation if you aren't from the US..

Yeah,and why is that? Why is never the same media? To whom does allow to prosper,year after year? This is not going well

Avy

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
All Jokes aside That Atherton bike must be amazing.
While I'm not sure the old "wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" adage is particularly on point these days, both Atherton bikes and Continental tyres must have been pretty stoked with the Champs results. Conti got 2 Golds and a Silver in tricky conditions which is pretty solid marketing material if they capitalise on it.

One take away from Worlds is I don't think anyone missed the semi-final format.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Does anyone know how many DH runs I could have done instead of wasting my time trying to watch the Worlds?

I don't know either, but I'm betting it's like at least 6.

So over it.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
was watching the replay on tiz last night but looks like the site's down today...

so will watch wyntv instead as a consolation
I should have asked a couple post’s up when it was suggested to me. I felt stupid and did not want to “ask another question,” but what is tiz?

Avy

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I should have asked a couple post’s up when it was suggested to me. I felt stupid and did not want to “ask another question,” but what is tiz?

Avy
//tiz-cycling-live.io/livestream.php

Website where you can stream most cycling content for free.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
World Cup ranking =/= UCI Ranking
In the latter all UCI races you participate in count, not only World Cup ones. Guess where the start order for the World Champs run came from.
And you guys argued with me long enough so that the UCI had time to change it. After today's update, Andi Kolb is #1.

UCI_DH_rankings.jpg

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
In the latter all UCI races you participate in count, not only World Cup ones. Guess where the start order for the World Champs run came from.
And you guys argued with me long enough so that the UCI had time to change it. After today's update, Andi Kolb is #1.
Let's be real here. People don't care about some weird aggregate UCI score used to decide the World Champs start order. People care about the World Cup overall and World champs as a standalone event. No French riders have won a world cup so far this season or the world champs . The fact that this is remarkable is a testament to their dominance over previous years. Take the backhanded compliment already - geez.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Let's be real here. People don't care about some weird aggregate UCI score used to decide the World Champs start order. People care about the World Cup overall and World champs as a standalone event. No French riders have won a world cup so far this season or the world champs . The fact that this is remarkable is a testament to their dominance over previous years. Take the backhanded compliment already - geez.
Let's be real here, you cannot admit to not being aware of this. So it is easier to downvote folks that post facts. :disgust1:

The UCI ranking shows better who the best riders are. Someone that competes more often and comes out towards the top more often has in reality beaten more riders than someone that wins all of the 8 races s/he participated in per year. As you can see on the UCI ranking, WC, World Champs, national champs carry more weight than other races, so if you win these it is "easier" to rank higher in the UCI rankings. However, someone that races, say 100 low-profile, UCI-sanctioned races a year can also get pretty high up. The UCI has many flaws, but making this ranking is not one of them.

BTW: a bunch of US riders wanting to participate in the World Cup do care about the UCI rankings, because you need UCI points to be admitted. That is why so many participate in smaller races in Southern America in the spring as there are too few UCI sanctioned races in the US.
So not that unimportant as you want to make it seem, it is part of being able to participate in World Cups.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Let's be real here, you cannot admit to not being aware of this. So it is easier to downvote folks that post facts. :disgust1:

The UCI ranking shows better who the best riders are. Someone that competes more often and comes out towards the top more often has in reality beaten more riders than someone that wins all of the 8 races s/he participated in per year. As you can see on the UCI ranking, WC, World Champs, national champs carry more weight than other races, so if you win these it is "easier" to rank higher in the UCI rankings. However, someone that races, say 100 low-profile, UCI-sanctioned races a year can also get pretty high up. The UCI has many flaws, but making this ranking is not one of them.
Nope. My comment and the others made in this thread were to do with French riders not winning any world cups so far this season, nor the world champs. You've tried to shift the goal posts by including this random aggregate UCI point system that includes national race results (and no longer supports your initial claim because Kolb is on top anyway).

"No French riders have won a world cup so far this season nor the world champs" is a fact not an opinion. Not sure how you can argue otherwise.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Nope. My comment and the others made in this thread were to do with French riders not winning any world cups so far this season, nor the world champs. You've tried to shift the goal posts by including this random aggregate UCI point system that includes national race results (and no longer supports your initial claim because Kolb is on top anyway).

"No French riders have won a world cup so far this season nor the world champs" is a fact not an opinion. Not sure how you can argue otherwise.
So what you are saying is: No French have won this year.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

View attachment 198550
This doesn't really help me know what you're on about at all.
Be MOAR like Avy... Pick a dude... Stick with that dude through thick and thin til death. Or baldness if you're insecure.

All top ranked WC DH RACERS =
"Sometimes maybe good. Sometimes maybe shit!"

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You are correct and I am nor arguing against that, but you said they "did not win".

You've tried to shift the goal posts by including this random aggregate UCI point system that includes national race results (and no longer supports your initial claim because Kolb is on top anyway).
If you thinking this is a random points system then you have no idea how this sport works. Same as the FMB rankings, Tennis ATP rankings, etc... They all are in place to figure out who the "best" is.
Just because you do not care about anything else than World Cup or Champs doesn't mean these other races don't exist.

BTW: at the time I made my statement about Loris and Loic it was correct. ;)

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
You are correct and I am nor arguing against that, but you said they "did not win".

If you thinking this is a random points system then you have no idea how this sport works. Same as the FMB rankings, Tennis ATP rankings, etc... They all are in place to figure out who the "best" is.
Just because you do not care about anything else than World Cup or Champs doesn't mean these other races don't exist.
You know when tennis is brought up in a discussion about World Cup DH, it’s a lost cause..

You seem unwilling to accept that your boys can have an off season so you resort to including points from national races.

Like others have said, take the good with the bad. Or become a Troy Brosnan fan like me - that’ll cure you of tying any of your self-worth to some guy winning world cups real quick.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The UCI ranking shows better who the best riders are.
It absolutely does not. It shows who has the most UCI points. And - surprise surprise the riders that live near UCI HQ and compete in the most UCI-points awarding events usually have the most points.

All the mainland European IXS cups give UCI points, so the riders that do those get points towards their total ranking. Riders from Oceania only get points for like three races. The UCI World Cup points rankings are different and only take the points from the WCs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You know when tennis is brought up in a discussion about World Cup DH, it’s a lost cause..
At least Tenis an international sport played in all continents. It's usally stupid US only sports continually being brought into DH discussions with wildly pointless comparisons

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
At least Tenis an international sport played in all continents. It's usally stupid US only sports continually being brought into DH discussions with wildly pointless comparisons
You leave the Baseball World Series out of this :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I say we all go to Aspen and maybe DH (don't bring your ebike, it's not allowed on the lift) and maybe play some tennis. Or pickleball, who knows? It is the Rocky Mountains! Hot tub time machine included! :)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You know...there are non-stop flights direct to Aspen (I'd rather avoid Denver Int'l Airport if at all possible). And Snowmass is pretty freaking sweet. If we wanted to do a West side Monkey extravaganza. It's really doable. And if you really wanted to buy $1000 jeans in Aspen, you can. Otherwise I'd recommend chilling in Snowmass and spending money on $20 margaritas :)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You know...there are non-stop flights direct to Aspen (I'd rather avoid Denver Int'l Airport if at all possible). And Snowmass is pretty freaking sweet. If we wanted to do a West side Monkey extravaganza. It's really doable. And if you really wanted to buy $1000 jeans in Aspen, you can. Otherwise I'd recommend chilling in Snowmass and spending money on $20 margaritas :)
The Aussie dollar is buying 65 US cents. Thats a hell expensive margarita

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's usally stupid US only sports continually being brought into DH discussions with wildly pointless comparisons
Tis a crime to dilute the deeply meaningful scholarly discussions of the DH forum with such nonsense. For posterity of all human kind I hope someone at the the Library of Congress edits out that rubbish.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
What on earth for the Indian National Congress party library have to do with how physically attractive Avy finds male DH riders?
DaveW,I did not have anything nice to say to you,so I say nothing.

Avy