Quantcast

Working on a Fox DHX? Need Help...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Ok, I am trying to change out my stock 500 spring to a 450 spring on my Fox DHX 5.0. The problem I am running into is the spring will not slide over the pressed in bushing on the shock. I have tried to used a hammer and my big vice to push it through but it will not budge at all. I have removed them with no problems in the past on Fox DHXs but this one will not move. The bike is an 07 Giant Glory.

Any thoughts?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
yikes... could have been a bad idea - the hammer that is.

If your DHX is an OEM piece that means the bushings are 2 seperate pieces or halves - NOT a pin axle set up like you would find on, say, a Swinger.

Each bushing has a large outer diameter - this is what you see on the outside of the shock eyelet - but there is also a smaller inner diameter sleeve that feeds halfway inside the eyelet to meet the other bushing.

If you hammer on one side all you are doing is pushing the outer diameter against the shock eyelet... and possibly doing unspeakable things to the end of piston shaft and God knows what else.

You need a removal tool - check the link above - everything should be there.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hard to tell from the pic, but if it's a stainless pin pressed in the eyelet, a socket is a good idea. Just slip a socket that is slightly bigger than the pin and deep enough to let the pin press down inside the socket. Use a bolt (shock bolt may work) through the pin and socket, with a washer and nut on the socket end. As you tighten it, the pin will press out of the eyelet and into the socket.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Hard to tell from the pic, but if it's a stainless pin pressed in the eyelet, a socket is a good idea. Just slip a socket that is slightly bigger than the pin and deep enough to let the pin press down inside the socket. Use a bolt (shock bolt may work) through the pin and socket, with a washer and nut on the socket end. As you tighten it, the pin will press out of the eyelet and into the socket.
Yep, its a stainless pin. I will call Fox today and see what they say. I maybe trying you way too.

Thanks