Quantcast

With Harts win

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
"Erwin Ruiz decided that posting Danny Hart's clip on YouTube was a smart move as we still have it as pay per view (at 4,99€ for the replay). As a result many people will not buy the access on Freecaster and our revenues will be impacted. But it gets worst with all MTB sites then embedding the YouTube clips and in effect amplifying the movement. Therefore dear YouTube fans, in the months to come, you more than anyone will know why Freecaster is not longer around."
Seriosuly I support Freecaster and have no trouble with paying but Im always surpised how butthurt people feel in such situations. Freecaster wont be there anymore? What % of viewers really would have bought the feed/replay if that single run wasnt available on youtube ? Why do people think that if 10 people pirate their product = 10 people who would have bought that product if the pirated version was unavailable?
Not to mention - most of their stuff is free and I assume they get most of their revenue from advertisement so maybe not being butthurt and posting your own vid while it was time for it was a better option.

He is just angry because he didint catch the viral train.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My browser is going crazy or my post was deleted. Why?
Site problems, I had errors posting too and didn't see your message on the site until now either - I saw it via email and another browser first but now its showing in my main browser too.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
freecaster should have posted it on their site - free, and made it easy to embed/share around the web. Use that as a teaser to watch the whole thing.

The casual internet person (non-mtb) is not going to pay for it.

Exposure counts for something.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Make it free, and they go bankrupt.
Isn't that the business model?
Free content to boost viewers from which to leverage advertising sales?

If so, they need to learn how to sell or STFU.
OR, put down the pipe and charge for BOTH content and advertising.
It's not that hard, really.

Claiming that a single bootleg video of an already-ran race is going to bankrupt them is ridiculous. They were in trouble before Worlds even started.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
that last part is funny.... how is someone videotaping their computer screen to capture a payperview video helping freecaster? the vid is essentially stolen and reposted to youtube. None of those hits are going to freecaster from what is a pirate video.

I love the exposure this gives the sport, but completely disagree with stealing content like this.

"Raymond Dulieu (founder of freecaster):

How one person can hurt many!!!

"Erwin Ruiz decided that posting Danny Hart's clip on YouTube was a smart move as we still have it as pay per view (at 4,99€ for the replay). As a result many people will not buy the access on Freecaster and our revenues will be impacted. But it gets worst with all MTB sites then embedding the YouTube clips and in effect amplifying the movement. Therefore dear YouTube fans, in the months to come, you more than anyone will know why Freecaster is not longer around."
1) Contact him and threaten to sue - easy enough. Or just contact youtube re: stolen content. It will be gone quickly.

2) After threatening to sue him, give him the link to a free clip of the footage from the website. Clicks = ad revenues.

3) Freecaster would be smart to make this run a free view and capitalize on the ad revs.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Don't forget to sue Vital, a bootleg copy is on their homepage :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The fact is, the people watching it on youtube probably would never have paid for it anyways. So at the end of the day, freecaster still makes money from the people who ARE willing to pay. Make it free, and they go bankrupt. In this case, some is better than none.
I was sent the link 4x by people who ride moto, race cars, and two randoms who know I ride bikes. They should have made it free and directed it to their site. Now, they need to threaten to sue and have him put a direct link on the site. However, it's already gone viral... the best they can do now is submit it to tosh.0 at thispoint.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Isn't that the business model?
Free content to boost viewers from which to leverage advertising sales?

If so, they need to learn how to sell or STFU.
OR, put down the pipe and charge for BOTH content and advertising.
It's not that hard, really.

Claiming that a single bootleg video of an already-ran race is going to bankrupt them is ridiculous. They were in trouble before Worlds even started.
Read again. Making worlds free would possibly bankrupt them. It is what keeps them from being in the red every year. Their ad agreements are usually only for the world cup season - not worlds.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Don't forget to sue Vital, a bootleg copy is on their homepage :rofl:
A threat and proper link is more than enough for most companies. Freecaster should be working with, instead of against, the entities providing huge exposure to their content.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I dont think many (any?) people would want to pay 3 bucks to see the replay, i went, saw it was 3 bucks and said no. (and was lucky enough to find it pirated later)

Its not worth a dollar a minute to see footage of a race that happened. I can see paying for the whole event, and should i want to watch instead of ride, i would have, but to charge for the winning run is over the top. IMHO

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Making worlds free would possibly bankrupt them. It is what keeps them from being in the red every year. Their ad agreements are usually only for the world cup season - not worlds.
Just proves my point, really.
Relying on a single event to stay in the black is insanity.

I love FC coverage and would pay $100/season for WC/Worlds coverage no questions asked. They need to run the numbers, set a pricing policy that keeps the lights on and run with it. Or not.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
They tried to charge like $4 a race and y'all cried like someone stole your lunch money. So now you get it for free and they charge for worlds; again, so you can watch the rest of the season for free. What's up with the mentality that you are somehow entitled to something free of charge just because you want it or it just happens to be the shiny thing in the room at the moment. Get over yourselves and your sense on entitlement.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Read again. Making worlds free would possibly bankrupt them. It is what keeps them from being in the red every year. Their ad agreements are usually only for the world cup season - not worlds.
Since when has anyone said to make worlds free? :confused:

Charge to see worlds. Publish Hart's crazy winning run by itself free, make sure it'll stream with a higher quality than the bootleg copy, spread the link around.
BOOM tons of traffic to freecaster's site, and extra exposure.

Add a little extra link and the end of Hart's video that says something like: Want to see the whole race? Click here! Maybe they'll get a few extra viewers who wouldn't normally pay for the whole thing to do so.

As far as freecaster going bankrupt for providing a free version of Hart's run to people who would otherwise not even watch DH racing online- explain to me how exactly that would happen? I can guarentee you the average joe schmoe sitting at working killing time reading facebook isn't gonna cough up any extra money to watch a link his friend sent him and said was rad.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Last time Ive seen the only thing posted on yt was Harts run, not the full event. It should of course be PPV but since his run went viral it would be a great ad for freecaster.

Also if the worlds keep them for being in the red - does that mean that the ad agreements dont pay for the world cup?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
freecaster should have posted it on their site - free, and made it easy to embed/share around the web. Use that as a teaser to watch the whole thing.
they did, days ago:

Santa Cruz Head To Head: Hart v Spagnolo (Champery) - Mountain Bike Videos - Extreme.com by Freecaster.tv - Where the world is watching action sports LIVE@@AMEPARAM@@value="id=dj0xMDE3NjEwJmM9MTAwMDAwNg&@@AMEPARAM@@dj0xMDE3NjEwJmM9MTAwMDAwNg

and like santa cruz advertising the video above, giant could have stepped in and sponsored the run of their rider too...

i say, dont blame freecaster, blame the manufacturers for not funding a big plattform to showcase dh. the 4 sponsors this year aint enough for 2012, time to spend some marketing money here...

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Its not worth a dollar a minute to see footage of a race that happened. I can see paying for the whole event, and should i want to watch instead of ride, i would have, but to charge for the winning run is over the top. IMHO
demo said:
2011 Demos(2) For sale
2010 Wildcard
2010 Superco
2012 SX
2011 Trance X
You're sort of... special, aren't you?

They tried to charge like $4 a race and y'all cried like someone stole your lunch money. So now you get it for free and they charge for worlds; again, so you can watch the rest of the season for free. What's up with the mentality that you are somehow entitled to something free of charge just because you want it or it just happens to be the shiny thing in the room at the moment. Get over yourselves and your sense on entitlement.
Exactly.

$150 for a new stem and ti bolts?

"No problem!"

$20 for the best race of the year, while the others are free?

"I'm being sodomized without lube!"

Last edited:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I have nothing to contribute in terms of freecaster and live coverage, but i do have this news from Giant..!

"All,

It has come to my attention that a few folks are not aware of the new HS feature coming stock on all 2012 Glory series models.

The headset is a FSA angle changing HS ORBIT OPTION T1 - NR.67 custom graphics for Giant

which allows a rider to change the HT angle on the bikes up to 1.5 degrees. (IE Angleset adjustments ±0.5°, ±1.0°, ±1.5°)"

I haven't seen this headset, i believe the bearing is built into the gimbal which should make it easier to install and be more quiet than the Cane Creek Angleset.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I haven't seen this headset, i believe the bearing is built into the gimbal which should make it easier to install and be more quiet than the Cane Creek Angleset.
smart for them to wait and see the problem with the Angleset, then release a better version :thumb:

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Ridemonkey: where "The Blame Game" is as big as hockey in Canada. Also, thanks for the free marketing class, as well as sound business structuring ideas, and a greater sense of self-worth b/c my feelings towards those who have a strong sense of entitlement ranks below the Tea Party goons. This place is a breading ground for air-filled egos. Guys, go do something - seriously. There is no grey area on this...only right and wrong, and rules are rules; Freecaster got screwed, big time, regardless of how or why.

Also, wasn't this thread about Giant Bicycles in the first place? I think they have a winning (duh) formula now which will make them more competitive out "in the streets" so to speak. Good to see everything getting better and better. 2011 was a helluva year for bikes.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I don't agree with people bitching about the price. This site is never ceases to amaze me but I think it is a sign of the times. People will argue on and on about how the latest fork is worth paying $1500+, and then bitch about a $20 fee. Any pay per view event on TV will cost twice as much and guess what...they charge for the replay as well. Support the sport you love.

That being said, consider that Freecaster covers 8 sports....if MTB Worlds sink the ship, there is some serious miscalculations going on.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
The gimble is the headset cup and the bearing drops into it just like a regular FSA headset. I've been on one for the majority of this season and it's been great. It's a simple design that just works.

-KT

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The gimble is the headset cup and the bearing drops into it just like a regular FSA headset. I've been on one for the majority of this season and it's been great. It's a simple design that just works.

-KT
Is the headset headtube length specific then?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
With all this talk of free or pay...

The site is called Freecaster!

(and yes, I did pay for worlds)

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Is the headset headtube length specific then?
To be honest, I don't know. I do have a really short headtube and FSA never mentioned anything about the length when installing it. If I remember correctly, this has been debated on here before that in most instances, the length is a negligable factor in these designs.

*In the efforts of full disclosure, I am sponsored by FSA*

-KT

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Ridemonkey: where "The Blame Game" is as big as hockey in Canada. Also, thanks for the free marketing class, as well as sound business structuring ideas, and a greater sense of self-worth b/c my feelings towards those who have a strong sense of entitlement ranks below the Tea Party goons. This place is a breading ground for air-filled egos. Guys, go do something - seriously. There is no grey area on this...only right and wrong, and rules are rules; Freecaster got screwed, big time, regardless of how or why.

Also, wasn't this thread about Giant Bicycles in the first place? I think they have a winning (duh) formula now which will make them more competitive out "in the streets" so to speak. Good to see everything getting better and better. 2011 was a helluva year for bikes.
This is silly. Imagine that- people pirated and reposted something popular that normally you have to pay for on the internet, gasp and shock all around. Did you really think it wouldn't happen? Did they?? I paid to watch worlds, other's didn't want to pay to watch Hart's run so it got bootlegged. No one gives a crap if it's right or wrong, this is the internet. As a business, you either figure how to swim in this environment or you sink. Easy as that. If they're going bankrupt because some of their content got bootlegged to youtube then they're doing it wrong.

Funny you should bring up Giant- wasn't there a big deal about how maestro ripped off DW link a few years back? :rofl:

Last edited:

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I have nothing to contribute in terms of freecaster and live coverage, but i do have this news from Giant..!

"All,

It has come to my attention that a few folks are not aware of the new HS feature coming stock on all 2012 Glory series models.

The headset is a FSA angle changing HS ORBIT OPTION T1 - NR.67 custom graphics for Giant

which allows a rider to change the HT angle on the bikes up to 1.5 degrees. (IE Angleset adjustments ±0.5°, ±1.0°, ±1.5°)"

You mean similar to the Works Components headsets? Just got mine a few days ago and it was really easy to install because the bearings look like they are attached to the cups.

Any other GEO changes for the 2012?

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
Some of you guys (and those @ Freecaster too) really oughtta read:

I hate rip-offs but I gotta agree that there is a new marketplace now. Piracy (especially in the media) is something that cannot be denied by covering our ears and shouting "na,na,na, I'm not listening"! Media outlets have to be smart now and work WITH the fact not against it.

A viral hit (like the Danny Hart run) is something that could have been capitalised upon. How many more people could have heard about Freecaster and it's services? What percentage could have paid to replay the race?

I would also recommend Seth Godins books about the change of marketing/media in the Internet age. see here;http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/books.asp

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't agree with people bitching about the price. This site is never ceases to amaze me but I think it is a sign of the times. People will argue on and on about how the latest fork is worth paying $1500+, and then bitch about a $20 fee. Any pay per view event on TV will cost twice as much and guess what...they charge for the replay as well. Support the sport you love.

That being said, consider that Freecaster covers 8 sports....if MTB Worlds sink the ship, there is some serious miscalculations going on.
I think you are misreading what people say here. No one is bitching about the 20$ fee for the feed. I know I paid mine and have no problems with paying for the feed.
We are just saying freecaster is silly for blaming the internet for their financial trouble while they have just missed an amazing marketing possibility.

I didnt see one person who complained about feed price. Also paying for a video even if it is 1 cent stops the viral weave not because people are cheap so stop bashing demo. It takes time and effort to pay for it - the more effort it takes to spread something the less viral it becomes. Seriously it is a basic web marketing priciple.

Last edited:

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
Seems like a lot of msguided anger here... Real anger should be directed at the uci's exhorbitant fees for broadcasting rights
Yup, they should also realise that they would make a greater return by NOT charging the media 800 bucks a time. The resultant extra (and more prevalent) media would help publicise the sport and maybe they could find a higher profile title sponsor at a higher cost!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, they should also realise that they would make a greater return by NOT charging the media 800 bucks a time. The resultant extra (and more prevalent) media would help publicise the sport and maybe they could find a higher profile title sponsor at a higher cost!
Maybe they should implement a systematic doping program like they have for road riding ;)

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
You mean similar to the Works Components headsets? Just got mine a few days ago and it was really easy to install because the bearings look like they are attached to the cups.

Any other GEO changes for the 2012?
It's starting to sound like they're similar to the works components but with a drop in bearing. FSA has 3 versions on their site but no other info. The Glory has different headtube lengths on different sizes. My guess is that there will be 3 or do sizes for each headtube style.

No other changes to the Glory frame that I'm aware of.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Seems like a lot of msguided anger here... Real anger should be directed at the uci's exhorbitant fees for broadcasting rights
^^^ Winner Winner, Sheen Dinner.

In hindsight though, DHing is only going to get massive now, with rockyroads behind it.

As for Giant, With Rockwell and Hart, thats 2 rainbows, more than most brands...amazing.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
As for Giant, With Rockwell and Hart, thats 2 rainbows, more than most brands...amazing.
Uh, what? The biggest bike company in the world, and they should be happy because they have got two world champs - spread over a decade!

They should be winning Worlds left right and centre.