Quantcast

@@@ Windstorm Friderp@@@

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Started my ride at 7:00 (with a backup light) planning on soft pedaling a few miles to dial in some tires/suspension. Ended up riding three hours with 2800 vert, and cleaned a (very long, a few miles) uphill that I have never cleaned in 27 years. That felt amazing. Yes, the new Assegai and Dissector were Velcro-like, but the dirt was the best I have ever seen for that climb. (West Game Creek). Was still riding without a light at 10:00 PM.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Still strongly thinking about a Dissector or an Aggressor on the back. Can’t go past the Assegai on the front though still. Having said that I am (Continental) Kryptotal curious.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
What’s funny was at first, I simply couldn’t get along with the front Assegai, it’s like it had a mind of it’s own, sliced and hooked, and bounced off of everything. I was blaming it on the Maxx Terra compound (I usually use Maxxis grip)I ended up dropping almost 20 PSI in ~5 pound increments (new compressor). Then it was like magic.
duh.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have it in the DD and only use it for park/whizzler, etc. I'll put it back on for my PNW trip, but I don't need that much beef/tire for normal trail riding. It's more about availability and what the bike shop has, I'll gladly take it, but a DHF is fine if it's in stock in the appropriate WT size. EXOs for trail and local. DDs for riding hard.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I weigh about 76kg in my riding kit, and I have a 29” Assagai Exo 3C 2.5 on a 36mm rim. I run it at 19psi, no cushcore or anything. Seems about perfect to me. I’ve experimented between 15 and 25psi. For me once you get to about 22 it does seem too hard, and below 18 too squirmy in hard corners.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
no. they still have seatstays available to purchase. but I'm ok with that because I don't have the cash on hand at the moment to get a new frame. And I'm not sure there's any of their frames I'm really interested in... the Sentinel would be the closest to what I want, but it's 29" and I want to stick to 650b. And the Scout is 10mm less travel than I'd like (plus, I'm not sure my shock would fit, and the rear wheel spacing has been "boosted", which means a new hub and possibly new crank and chainring. wait, is this the "what's wrong with the industry" thread?!) :butcher:
Got the carbon Scout for peanuts. I did need to buy a new shock thought. As for rear boost, got a $30 adapter from Hope. Had to buy a boost chainring. You can run the Scout at 150mm rear. Mine is set at 145, and with the Float X Factory the thing is a beast!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Got the carbon Scout for peanuts. I did need to buy a new shock thought. As for rear boost, got a $30 adapter from Hope. Had to buy a boost chainring. You can run the Scout at 150mm rear. Mine is set at 145, and with the Float X Factory the thing is a beast!
What part of your frame did you break?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Still strongly thinking about a Dissector or an Aggressor on the back. Can’t go past the Assegai on the front though still. Having said that I am (Continental) Kryptotal curious.
They just went on special on Wiggle, I bought one to try out.
Sucks that you can't get a DH casing in the soft compound, hopefully the Enduro casing is decent.